Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2009, 08:22   #1
BHPian

Car heater causes headache

Hi,

I have a 2008 Zen Estilo and I have been doing all prescribed servicing promptly. In the last several months (particularly with the cold weather), I am observing that keeping the car in heating mode causes severe headache to me and the passengers.

I have air-conditioning on, temperature on the heat setting (somewhere 1/4th from the coldest setting), fan on first level, and vent sometimes on fresh air and sometimes on recirculation mode.

Has someone faced this problem with Zen Estilo or similar cars? Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Narayanan
Old 13th December 2009, 09:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is it only when the car's stationary or only when driving?
Did you check it with the M.A.S.S and another Estilo?

Maybe its taking in smoke etc too from external world.
Old 13th December 2009, 09:25   #3
BHPian

Not exactly the Best Strategy but can I advise you to wear Warmer Clothes ?

If not possible then wear a Coat or Sweater so you can remove them whenever needed.

Your problem may either be easy to fix or very expensive to fix. Clothes are Fashionable & Cheaper comparatively.
Old 13th December 2009, 10:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
Hi,

I have a 2008 Zen Estilo and I have been doing all prescribed servicing promptly. In the last several months (particularly with the cold weather), I am observing that keeping the car in heating mode causes severe headache to me and the passengers.

I have air-conditioning on, temperature on the heat setting (somewhere 1/4th from the coldest setting), fan on first level, and vent sometimes on fresh air and sometimes on recirculation mode.

Has someone faced this problem with Zen Estilo or similar cars? Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Narayanan
It happens to me not while heating (not tested) but while cooling and in any car. Solution is to take fresh air for longer durations.
Old 13th December 2009, 10:05   #5
BHPian

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
It happens to me not while heating (not tested) but while cooling and in any car. Solution is to take fresh air for longer durations.
How does one take Fresh Air ? Carry Oxygen Cylinders in the Car ?
or did you mean roll down the windows for Fresh Air ?
Old 13th December 2009, 11:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
I have air-conditioning on, temperature on the heat setting...
AC is for cooling; heater is for heating: why are you using both?

Your headaches may be due to dry air in the car. AC will increase the dryness.

One more hint: do not use 're-circulate' mode, unless you are in a very smoky/dusty/polluted place. That way, some fresh air is coming into the car. Also, you can open a window by just a fragment to make sure fresh air comes in.

If, through some fault, your AC/ventilation is taking in fumes from the engine, then that can be very, very dangerous, to to possibility of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:00   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I never took a liking for the car's heater system either (when using in Boston). Here's some tips that helped me:

1. Never direct the air to your face.

2. Leave the rear window open only about 5 - 10 mm.

3. Don't set the temperature too hot.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Been using heater in my wagonR since last 6 years in winters. Faced no problem so far.
But remember- every individual has different response to heat/cold/allergies. So it may not be a car problem, but sensitivity of human body.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:19   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

be careful and get the car checked - while using the heater particularly it is useful to leave a small chink open on the side windows for fresh air. use the fresh option rather than recirc if possible.

also have your car manifold checked - it just could be exhaust gases leaking into the car which is a slow carbon monoxide poisoning - be very careful. real bad headaches can be caused by breathing in carbon monoxide.

I am also highly prone to headaches from exhaust fumes, diesel fumes etc - and may years ago when we had an old CJ 500 jeep I used to invariably get a headache when sitting in the back because the fumes used to seep in.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Before suggesting a checkup for your AC, is every one sitting in the car getting a head ace/lethargic, if yes then there can be some leakage in the air-conditioning system. Possibly CO is getting inside the passenger cabin.

If no then it seems that you are not able to tolerate the heated air, some people have such sort of problems. Try to keep the heating levels to low & try to keep one of the windows slightly open.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:42   #11
BHPian

I too hate the heater after a while, the possible solution is set it at a lower temp and blower too on one or two. Use it only initially so that car temp becomes comfortable then switch it off.
Old 14th December 2009, 13:06   #12
BHPian

In my opinion, you need not switch on the AC if you are using the heater. once you move the temperature knob to red, just switch on the blower and it will be enough to keep you warm. i generally used the AC + heater combination during rainy nights to clear the glass. and yes, as GTO suggested, dont point the vents to your face.

@Thad - no offense, i am just sharing my understanding here. AC means 'air conditioning' and it can be conditioned for cool or hot air. if you switch on the AC, it does the job depending on where the setting is..blue or red.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

No problem... I could be wrong, and also it may indeed be a good idea to dry the air when de-misting as you say. I suppose that, if the air passes through the AC before it is heated, then it will be drier when it reaches the car. Good for de-misting, but not good for headaches.

My understanding is that, unless a car has automatic climate control, AC means cooling, as any AC unit is just a refrigeration device that lowers the temperature of the air, removing moisture from it as, as it condenses out when cooled.

I haven't spent enough time in cars with climate control to know if it is not really just a more sophisticated front end to an AC unit.

I have always found car heaters uncomfortable because of the way they dry the air. I used to imagine that top-end climate control should have humidifier as well as de-humidifier, but I have no idea if this is done.

Having left Britain's winters behind, living in Chennai, I can hardly imagine moving the heater control to 'heat'!
Old 14th December 2009, 21:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No problem... I could be wrong, and also it may indeed be a good idea to dry the air when de-misting as you say. I suppose that, if the air passes through the AC before it is heated, then it will be drier when it reaches the car. Good for de-misting, but not good for headaches.

My understanding is that, unless a car has automatic climate control, AC means cooling, as any AC unit is just a refrigeration device that lowers the temperature of the air, removing moisture from it as, as it condenses out when cooled.

I haven't spent enough time in cars with climate control to know if it is not really just a more sophisticated front end to an AC unit.

I have always found car heaters uncomfortable because of the way they dry the air. I used to imagine that top-end climate control should have humidifier as well as de-humidifier, but I have no idea if this is done.

Having left Britain's winters behind, living in Chennai, I can hardly imagine moving the heater control to 'heat'!
Hey Thad, your answer got me thinking, browsing and learning. and yes, you are right and i stand corrected. thank you!

i dont want to hijack the thread...let the discussion continue and hope a solution is found.
Old 14th December 2009, 21:50   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Chears, ZENnist

Like I say, just glad I don't have to live with car heating any longer --- or any kind of heating!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks