Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2007, 10:21   #46
BHPian

ABS, TCS and ESP demonstrated

Here's a video that gives an idea of how ABS, TCS and ESP works. It's quite interesting. Since it's a fairly long video, would recommend downloading and watching it using the Google Video Player.

Fifth_Gear_- slk55_vs_sl55
Old 31st January 2007, 16:48   #47
rks
BANNED

There is a point about ABS that needs to be clearly understood. If you brake *hard*, the ABS kicks in to prevent a lock-up of the wheels by pumping the brakes automatically via computer control. The point is that in a long emergency braking effort, you should apply maximum pressure straightaway and then hold that pressure. This will ensure that the ABS kicks in at the beginning of your braking effort and minimize the braking distance. If you do not apply full braking pressure immediately and then increase the pressure at a later point of time, that is when the ABS will kick in and your braking distance could possibly increase because the computers will not have enough time to pump the brakes optimally (maybe better to have a lock-up of the wheels at the end of the braking effort rather than to have the ABS kick in at that point, with not much distance left to avert a collision).

So, to summarize, with ABS present, if at all it kicks in, it should do so towards the beginning of the braking effort, with some distance left to stop. Otherwise the ABS should not kick in at all. Hence using the ABS correctly needs some practice, especially for old-timers who are already used to reacting in their own ways towards emergencies. I imagine it would be quite difficult to change these long-cultivated reflex reactions.

The problem, as I had mentioned in another thread, is that with ABS present and kicking in, it is more difficult to adjust your braking effort to utilze the full braking distance available - the computers only try to minimize the braking distance and not optimize it (say, in order to prevent rear-ending and to increase brake life).
Old 27th February 2007, 23:15   #48
BHPian

does the ABS get affected when v change or upsize the wheels or tyre.

can ABS be fitted in with drum breaks also. does the SWIFT VDI ABS have a four wheel ABS.
Old 28th February 2007, 05:15   #49
BHPian

i wish i had abs on me old corolla i banged into the back of a taxi
me unharmed me car took 1 month to recover
how much would it cost to put abs in my corolla since the new corolla has it so it can be installed right??
Old 28th February 2007, 11:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

ABS is not used to minimize the braking distance. It is used to prevent wheel lockup and hence give you the ability to steer away. I don't think there is any adjustment a 'expert' driver needs to do.(I have never heard any complaining against cars like porshe, ferrari etc., saying "Damn ABS") The natural reflex action during a imminent accident is to steer away and not to stop before that. Its used to avoid hitting someone.
Old 3rd March 2007, 07:26   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by higautham
does the ABS get affected when v change or upsize the wheels or tyre.
There will not be any problem with the whole ABS system even if you change tyres/rims/alloys since it's mounted on the vehicle's axle.
Old 3rd March 2007, 07:46   #52
BHPian

Will ABS performance be affected by a change in tire size during replacement?

Use of tires other than original equipment specification is not recommended. Optimum performance of ABS is obtained when tyre size matches with OEM specified one.

Source : Sundaram Clayton Limited-ABS
Old 7th March 2007, 06:26   #53
BANNED

I don't know which of the info is true since it's been notified to me by a Maruti engineer(working at it's factory) that the whole ABS system is mounted on the vehicle's axle so changing tyres/rims/alloys has no effect on it.
Old 7th March 2007, 06:28   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
Will ABS performance be affected by a change in tire size during replacement?

Use of tires other than original equipment specification is not recommended. Optimum performance of ABS is obtained when tyre size matches with OEM specified one.

Source : Sundaram Clayton Limited-ABS
I don't know which of the info is true since it's been notified to me by a Maruti engineer(working at it's factory) that the whole ABS system is mounted on the vehicle's axle so changing tyres/rims/alloys has no effect on it.
Old 7th March 2007, 06:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

I have upsized tyres on my swift and have found that the abs works just fine with them.
Old 9th March 2007, 11:09   #56
BHPian

help ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigarmuni View Post
ABS is Anti lock braking system. It is the most useful thing to have in a car...what it does is.....prevents ur wheels from locking up when u brake abruptly or suddenly with a lot of pressure..! WHat happens here is .... when u are driving a car without ABS and u lock ur wheels.... u will be loosing almost 50% of ur braking efficency, and locking up is primarily the reason for accidents..! What ABS does to ur car is.... if u happen to slam ur brakes... the ABS system on ur car will reduce the excess amount of pressure on the brakes and prevent them from locking..! Hence giving u maximum braking efficency at all times... even in the wet..!

And welll dude... even i am trying to find out ... if i can get ABS for my Honda Vtec!! (anyone who can help me also with this ?)

even i need help .. abs for my ohc vtec ....... i know its a long and difficult task but just wonted to know how can it be done ......???
Old 9th March 2007, 11:53   #57
BHPian

is abs as good as claimed and efficient then what about the recent veyron crash it also has abs

Quote:
The supercar then spun three times before crashing into trees on a roadside bank before coming to rest.
this goes to prove abs wont help you to stop all the time and the pics show there is no sort of dusty surrounding as told by gto that dust affects abs braking so dust is out of the question and was traveling at 100 mph when the car is designed to handle up to 253mph.
Old 26th June 2007, 18:14   #58
BHPian

Correct me if i am wrong, but does ABS not exploit the basics physics principle that the coefficient of static friction is greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction?
Old 26th June 2007, 18:34   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
Here's a video that gives an idea of how ABS, TCS and ESP works. It's quite interesting. Since it's a fairly long video, would recommend downloading and watching it using the Google Video Player.

Fifth_Gear_- slk55_vs_sl55

Extremely educational video.
For the guys watching this video, the technical part is after ~12 minutes into the video.
Old 27th June 2007, 00:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

I have personally experienced the boon of having ABS onboard. Even in wet conditions, tires with decent tread & winding roads, ABS helps a lot in being able to stop right where you want to. The car doesn't swerve or skid, and that helps judge where you want to move,in order to avoid hitting a vehicle in front.

The maniac drivers in Houston are notorious when it comes to lane changing- no indicators, sudden shifts 1-3 lanes across the freeway..

I'm pretty sure that the size of the tire would have some effect on the working of ABS,since the effort required to stop a vehicle with big wheels, is definitely more than a car with smaller wheels... I may be wrong though..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks