Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 14:38   #16
BHPian

More photos !

Please see the upholstery on the dash board in previous post, the quarter glass parts bend and tampered with for fitting the sun visor. Having a tight budget, my friend had asked to reuse the rubber parts and linings which were in reusable condition. The quarter glass was not removed during the paint work. You can also see the shape of the glass channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-9.jpg  

Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-13.jpg  

Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-20.jpg  

Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-nokia-2600-c005.jpg  

Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-nokia-2600-c016.jpg  

Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-scam-006.avi_000000100.jpg  

Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-scam-008.avi_000005400.jpg  

Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-scam-014.avi_000000900.jpg  

Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-scam-019.avi_000000900.jpg  

Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-17.jpg  

adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2010, 14:50   #17
~~h
BHPian

This isn't rust but a sloppy paint job..
@adrian, talk to the guy again; if you could, take couple of more people with you (not to fight but to enlighten him ),looks like he's taking you for a ride.
Old 4th January 2010, 14:51   #18
Team-BHP Support

That surely is a very bad paint job, bad preparation and finishing. If rust is completely removed and proper preparation done, the bubbles will not happen.

Was the painting job a hurried one, to stick to timeline or something?

I think you should talk to the workshop and get them to fix the paint job at the least.
Old 4th January 2010, 15:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
That surely is a very bad paint job, bad preparation and finishing. If rust is completely removed and proper preparation done, the bubbles will not happen.

Was the painting job a hurried one, to stick to timeline or something?

I think you should talk to the workshop and get them to fix the paint job at the least.
The vehicle was in for the paint job in September 2009 and out of the workshop in December 2009. These guys had 3 months for the paint job.
Old 4th January 2010, 15:25   #20
Team-BHP Support

I think it a good idea to have a very assertive (doesnt mean you need to carry friends ) discussion with the owner and the painter. They have to fix these issue, period! and give your friend atleast 6 months guarantee afterwards. The dimples are bad putty job, seems like preparation was done in a hurry or the whole painting process happened in between rains.

EDIT: rest though shoddy job, are minor final fitting jobs which your friend can take care off in any other place and wont cost much. So dont wast too much energy on this.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th January 2010 at 15:27.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:30   #21
BHPian

My friend shouldn't be living in this century. I wouldn't have received the car without the workshop owner repair it or at the least pay for his folly. My friend wants to know if he can move legally. Consumer court or some thing like that as he don't want his car in that workshop again and his job code and conduct rules is against him involving in any scandal of any sort.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:53   #22
Team-BHP Support

Go ahead approach a consumer court, if the detailed bills are available and the complaints documented well.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:25   #23
BHPian

The Bills !

1. In the first bill you can see the cost of 5 litres of engine oil. The workshop was asked to use Servo 20 W 40 which costs Rs.800/- and the amby needs 5 1/2 litres.
2. Sl.No.17&18- steering column kit- All the workshop was asked was to change the steering felt which costs Rs.10/-
3. Sl.No.29- The workshop owner ate the wiper motor cover for lunch!
4.Sl.No.14-Air filter hose and boot of a Merc ?!! An air filter hose of amby costs around Rs.20/-
You can see that the bill amounts are scored and reposted and this indicates a made up bill. In the second bill you can see additional patch work (sl.no.6).
You can see that the cost of each spare part is aggravated. After paying the bills you can see how my friend looks like now!!
Attached Thumbnails
Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-scam-001.jpg  

Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-scam-002.jpg  

Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert-cut.jpg  

Old 6th January 2010, 12:29   #24
Team-BHP Support

Ok now a question, was it an overcoat or complete scrape down and painting? in bill it says overcoat?

Overcoat means DISASTER!
Old 6th January 2010, 12:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Ok now a question, was it an overcoat or complete scrape down and painting? in bill it says overcoat?

Overcoat means DISASTER!
It was an overcoat painting and the agreement was that the workshop would scrape down the defective surfaces. But you can see the rear glass rubber bulging out and that means that they have not touched the area. More over an overcoat painting in any other workshop would cost only Rs.7000/ to Rs.8000/-.
I had got my father's amby fully scraped and painted for Rs.20,000/- and the work was good.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:20   #26
Team-BHP Support

My view point, since its an overcoat its very difficult to pinpoint where things will go wrong. Trust me, its a tough job at which experts fail. See rust if very evident can be caught/scrapped down/patch work done etc But otherwise while doing an overcoat there will be many area which will go undetected.

Having said that the dimples i dont think have anything to do with overcoat and if bubbles are happening at the same place, where it was scrapped down, then thats definitely bad workman ship/material.

The charges also seemed to be slightly on higher side, though bill says full chassis, engine bay, rims etc, which will reduce the pain a lil bit!
Old 6th January 2010, 13:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
My view point, since its an overcoat its very difficult to pinpoint where things will go wrong. Trust me, its a tough job at which experts fail. See rust if very evident can be caught/scrapped down/patch work done etc But otherwise while doing an overcoat there will be many area which will go undetected.

Having said that the dimples i dont think have anything to do with overcoat and if bubbles are happening at the same place, where it was scrapped down, then thats definitely bad workman ship/material.

The charges also seemed to be slightly on higher side, though bill says full chassis, engine bay, rims etc, which will reduce the pain a lil bit!
I totally agree with you on the first para. But this undetected surface won't produce bubbles overnight. It means that they had noticed the area and neglected it.
The dimples means that they had scraped the area and left it unprepared before painting. There is no excuse for dripping paint what so ever.
On any other workshop you could get an overcoat with full chassis, engine bay and rims painted for Rs.8000/- and the work doesn't seem worth the extra Rs.5500/- paid by friend. And after that he had to take the vehicle to another workshop for electrical failure correction. With my experience I wish to make the point that my friend could have got the overcoat job done and he could have got all the linings and rubber parts replaced for Rs.13500/- if he had taken the vehicle to some other workshop. Now he has a sloppy paint job with old lining and rubber parts for the said amount. Now that certainly is pain for a middle class person.
Old 6th January 2010, 14:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I totally agree with you on the first para. But this undetected surface won't produce bubbles overnight. It means that they had noticed the area and neglected it.
The dimples means that they had scraped the area and left it unprepared before painting. There is no excuse for dripping paint what so ever.
On any other workshop you could get an overcoat with full chassis, engine bay and rims painted for Rs.8000/- and the work doesn't seem worth the extra Rs.5500/- paid by friend. And after that he had to take the vehicle to another workshop for electrical failure correction. With my experience I wish to make the point that my friend could have got the overcoat job done and he could have got all the linings and rubber parts replaced for Rs.13500/- if he had taken the vehicle to some other workshop. Now he has a sloppy paint job with old lining and rubber parts for the said amount. Now that certainly is pain for a middle class person.

I recently got my whole car painted, Car is a 2000 lancer with a lot of denting to be done ful underbody coating using 3 m materials full service and some extras for 29k. The paint alone was earlier promised to be done at 25k, but since there was some major issues with the front bumper their dentor took 3 days to finish it, so an old bumper repairs cost me more that the new one. The workmanship at the workshop was great, and he promissed me that if i have any issues in the paint he will sort if out free. Kerala was not known for cheats, but somehow i feel their numbers must have gone up lately.

Pramod
Old 6th January 2010, 15:20   #29
BHPian

Hi Adrain, That is a real sloppy paint job. Is this workshop some where near to Maruthankuzhi- PTP nagar. It will be great, if you can let us know about the same, so that in future we can be careful enough.
Old 7th January 2010, 00:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Its indeed a very careless job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks