Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2005, 14:36   #1
BHPian

screeching sound from the rear while going over bumps...

helloo guys,
i think all u know that i have a palio 1.2 nv sport right?
ok, u just got to know.
anyways, we gotta get serious around here. i have a problem.

it happened since this raksha bandhan. at night when i was returning back home, whenever the car bumped over a bigger pothole or speedbreaker, when the rear suspension landed, there was some sort of screeching sound coming from it.
i dont know how to explain the sound. so here it goes [ dont slam me for this ]
"choo-choo-choo" kinda sound....
u know sort of a sound that comes from chickens [alive ones] packed in a store...u understand?
i dont remember eating chicken in my car ever. so no chance of its spirit coming back to haunt my ride...

pls help me guys...is it serious...?
Old 28th August 2005, 15:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

The choo choo sound might be coming from the suspension. Did you check the tyre to see if you hvae flat spotted it? Fiat Palio comes with a torsion beam setup at the rear as far as I know. It doesnt have independant suspension. Cars like Maruti Baleno come with an independant setup at the rear and offer a much better ride. I am not going to recommend MB to you, as some people in this forum do no like MB, but most people do as the polls will show you. However just wanted to let you know that in future consider buying Maruti Baleno, it will give you the same sporty drive of Palio sportz, on top it will give you a better ride and no choo choo sounds.
On other hand you have stated that you never ate or shipped chicken in your car, but did you happen to break/ship/eat an egg in your car? Many of my freinds who have broken an egg in the car have later complaint about choo choo sounds from the spirit off the unborn chicken.

Last edited by aseem : 28th August 2005 at 15:17.
Old 28th August 2005, 15:24   #3
BHPian

hey there amit, how old is the car? - i have a palio d 9000kms and the front and rear suspension is absolutely problem free...

yup that sound is definitely a problem, and you better get it checked - hopefully it's minor and you'll survive the damages.
Old 28th August 2005, 15:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey amit maybe i misunderstood but do you mean your wheel is off the road(i.e in air ) for a couple of seconds and when it lands and touches, you hear the noise ??

if thats the case and if the sound isnt coming from the suspension then it probably is this...

your wheel is in motion and is moving at a certain speed.due to the speed braker or pothole it is elevated from the ground but you are still accelerating and even if you stop accelerating the wheel is still moving.now once the wheel hits the road it produces a short screeching sound as it was already in motion. hopw you understood what i was trying to say.

this happens some times in my zen and vary rarely in the baleno as its heavier and doesnt go airborne that easily.

Rev
Old 28th August 2005, 16:31   #5
BHPian

no rev, its not that. i meant while on a speedbreaker, when the rear wheels come over it and land on the plain surface without being airborne...sorry for the confusion.
btw the thing u mentioned cannot occur in a palio since its front wheel driven and the rear wheels cannot spin out.

btw my palio has done only around 6k on the odo!
Old 28th August 2005, 16:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma
no rev, its not that. i meant while on a speedbreaker, when the rear wheels come over it and land on the plain surface without being airborne...sorry for the confusion.
btw the thing u mentioned cannot occur in a palio since its front wheel driven and the rear wheels cannot spin out.

btw my palio has done only around 6k on the odo!

Dear Amit,

Best to get suspension checked up. Most of the times these kind of sounds are from broken bushes . Being made of rubber they have finite life in terms of years indpendent of mileage.

May be it is a loose nut. Just take it up and give a visula inspection.
Old 28th August 2005, 20:58   #7
BANNED

i feel it is becuase of your belt...it comes from front but u feel its coming from the rear
Old 28th August 2005, 21:16   #8
BANNED

Hey,

What size tyres are you using. Also do one check see if the mud flaps have any rubbing/friction marks on them. If you are using broad tyres then it i sprobably the tyres rubbing the mud flap or mudguard.

Maybe the mudflap has com eloose and rubs against the tyres.

A visual inspection should help you identify the problem.

Viper
Old 28th August 2005, 23:33   #9
BHPian

i am running on stock alloy rims size 175/60/R14 Bridgestone rubber.
i am talking of the sound it comes when the car goes into bumps or potholes...not while normal driving
Old 29th August 2005, 08:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
The choo choo sound might be coming from the suspension. Did you check the tyre to see if you hvae flat spotted it? Fiat Palio comes with a torsion beam setup at the rear as far as I know. It doesnt have independant suspension. Cars like Maruti Baleno come with an independant setup at the rear and offer a much better ride. I am not going to recommend MB to you, as some people in this forum do no like MB, but most people do as the polls will show you. However just wanted to let you know that in future consider buying Maruti Baleno, it will give you the same sporty drive of Palio sportz, on top it will give you a better ride and no choo choo sounds.
On other hand you have stated that you never ate or shipped chicken in your car, but did you happen to break/ship/eat an egg in your car? Many of my freinds who have broken an egg in the car have later complaint about choo choo sounds from the spirit off the unborn chicken.
Here is the single solution for any car problem, throw your stupid car away and "by an MB". Wonderful Aseem
Old 29th August 2005, 09:30   #11
BHPian

Assem strikes again!!!!!!!
chipping in with well meaning and sincere advice.
Old 29th August 2005, 11:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
this happens some times in my zen and vary rarely in the baleno as its heavier and doesnt go airborne that easily.
Rev
Finally after months and months of explaining this without any support from this Forum, Rev has finaly acknowledged that his Zen gives him problems but not his MB.
I am not stating that Amit should buy the MB to fix his problem in any way. Just telling him such problems are not there in MB and the next time he considers buying a car he should consider it. It is the car that most mechanics prefer, no ABS, no Airbags, no Variable Valve Timing, no Automatic AC, no Beige Interiors, no High Profile Tyres, no Pinch in the Pocket, all in all a perfect buy.

Note from the Admin : Post edited. Personal attacks are not permitted on Team-BHP. If you have an issue with other members, feel free to use the PM facility and contact them directly
Old 29th August 2005, 11:43   #13
BHPian

i thought that the Baleno did come with High profile and most of us were busy lowering the profile and increasing the footprint!!!

and the the rest of those ghastly unwanted features, i shall leave it to the others to reply, How much they hate ABS , VVT & airbags. Damn i wish they had given me my car without stupid gadgets like seatbelts with height adjustment.

I simply detest my powered sideview mirrors and central locking
Old 29th August 2005, 14:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

Two possibilities
1. Its coming from the rear. Culprit may be the seat or the tailgate or the suspension. Too many things can produce such noise
2. Its coming from front. Check your power steering system. When the car is not in motion try to move the streering completely to left and right. Check if you hear this sound on extreme left and right points.
Old 29th August 2005, 23:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Finally after months and months of explaining this without any support from this Forum, Rev has finaly acknowledged that his Zen gives him problems but not his MB.
I am not stating that Amit should buy the MB to fix his problem in any way. Just telling him such problems are not there in MB and the next time he considers buying a car he should consider it. It is the car that most mechanics prefer, no ABS, no Airbags, no Variable Valve Timing, no Automatic AC, no Beige Interiors, no High Profile Tyres, no Pinch in the Pocket, all in all a perfect buy.

Note from the Admin : Post edited. Personal attacks are not permitted on Team-BHP. If you have an issue with other members, feel free to use the PM facility and contact them directly

man this guy cracks me up.....

aseem...u mean that if you were offered a choice of ABS, airbags, beige leather, VVT, climate control in a Maruti Baleno, u wont take it??
man...get realistic....

@tsk: no its not a tailgate noise...i am pretty sure that it is coming from the suspension....i am gonna take it to a garage...but im not too sure where to take it....to a local workshop or to Fiat Service center?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks