Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 23:46   #1
BHPian

ANHC Clutch

Guys, i did not find a similar post so thought i would create a new one. My observations over the year on the ANHC clutch has been the following
-The clutch is too deep (cant do anything about it)
-The clutch vibrates/shudders just about a little when the clutch is released or depressed at times (1st and reverse). The vibration/shuddering is more profound in a stop and go traffic. Now..Now...i have driven other cars sufficiently long and my clutches have lasted well over 60-70K so i assume i know how to use the clutch properly. I have found this in quite a few ANHCs but was surprised since it wasnt reported on TeamBHP.
I have gotten this checked everytime i take my car for service and it is dubbed "normal" by the dealership as in they say there is no vibration. And the car behaves well too in front of the mechanics (the clutch release does not induce vibrations as it does when i drive on normal days). I wonder if my car has those doctor-patient scares. Well all said, i thought i would float this up in the forum to get some feedback...the car drives perfectly well otherwise in terms of pulling and pickup...Should i ask the dealership to check something specific....to add on...the clutch bleeding has been done after i reported this...
Old 26th February 2010, 08:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nayyar, i had reported it: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1276281-post79.html. Karan also reported a similar problem as you mentioned for 1st & Reverse gear.
  • Yes, the clutch travels too deep for my taste. Not good for a city car ( minor irritant)
  • Post 1st service, i see no issues with 1st gear (i never had any problems with reverse gear, but Karan had)
Old 26th February 2010, 09:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayyar.rao View Post
Guys, i did not find a similar post so thought i would create a new one. My observations over the year on the ANHC clutch has been the following
-The clutch is too deep (cant do anything about it)
-The clutch vibrates/shudders just about a little when the clutch is released or depressed at times (1st and reverse). The vibration/shuddering is more profound in a stop and go traffic. Now..Now...i have driven other cars sufficiently long and my clutches have lasted well over 60-70K so i assume i know how to use the clutch properly.

Hi Nayyar Rao,
I have an ANHC SM T March 2009 model.It has done 14,500 km.I have never felt the clutch deep.There are no vibrations in city traffic.Is your car a new one. I think read about deep clutch in one of initial ownership reports recently.Sorry I cannot remember it now.'Five of my friends own ANHC (Outside Team Bhp).Three were brought by my recomendation..Two cars are new.All are extremely happy.I will update if they had any problems.

A small doubt.Is it related to the seat position.It is unlikely since you are an experienced driver.I have felt the clutch a bit deep when I position the driver seat low and to the back.

Please get it corrected.Enjoy the ride.Please post a detailed ownership report.Did you do the head light upgrade?

Last edited by Mevtec : 26th February 2010 at 09:55.
Old 26th February 2010, 10:01   #4
BHPian

Hi Nayyar,
I have seen when the clutch is released suddently there is a sound which I haven't noticed in my previous car (Santro), but I am used to releasing it very gently so I don't find this a problem.
However I agree on that fact that the clutch is too deep and esp for people like me who are short, makes things sligtly difficult.
Gear - I haven't seen a problem in the 1st or reverse gear either. I did have problems in down shifting to 2nd intially but that seemed tp have silkened after 2.5k run
Old 26th February 2010, 10:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have never felt the clutch is too deep probably becasue of following reasons

a. i am tall (188 cm) and drive with the seat at the rear most position
b. i used to drive FIAT PALIO 1.2 which had a very hard and deep clutch

I have never felt the vibrations during clutch release.

only problem i still encounter occationally is engaging second and reverse gears especially when i drive the car after returning from a long business trip during which the car has not been driven and is standing still.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:23   #6
BHPian

I had issues only while down shift from higher to 2nd gear, after 1st service I never felt this anymore.

I agree the clutch is deep, but for me it's not so deep as well.

I never felt the vibrations during the clutch releases, get it checked if possible to see everything's fine.
Old 26th February 2010, 22:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
Hi Nayyar Rao,
I have an ANHC SM T March 2009 model.It has done 14,500 km.I have never felt the clutch deep.There are no vibrations in city traffic.Is your car a new one. I think read about deep clutch in one of initial ownership reports recently.Sorry I cannot remember it now.'Five of my friends own ANHC (Outside Team Bhp).Three were brought by my recomendation..Two cars are new.All are extremely happy.I will update if they had any problems.

A small doubt.Is it related to the seat position.It is unlikely since you are an experienced driver.I have felt the clutch a bit deep when I position the driver seat low and to the back.

Please get it corrected.Enjoy the ride.Please post a detailed ownership report.Did you do the head light upgrade?
MEVTEC, i feel the need to do the light upgrade. Planning it shortly. The car is otherwise as smooth as butter and i have been enjoying it for over a year. Couple of upgrades i have done are Stanley interiors, adding a sub to the music system, Morel tempo components and Michelin Primacy LC 195/60R15. Looking our for alloys as the next set of upgrades. The odo reads 8K and i plan to put up a detailed ownership report sometime sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Nayyar, i had reported it: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1276281-post79.html. Karan also reported a similar problem as you mentioned for 1st & Reverse gear.
  • Yes, the clutch travels too deep for my taste. Not good for a city car ( minor irritant)
  • Post 1st service, i see no issues with 1st gear (i never had any problems with reverse gear, but Karan had)
I had the bleeding done once but yes probably i need to get it done again..the problem died down when i did the bleeding initially. Also....how do Whitefield, Dakshin and Magnum compare in terms of workmanship and the skill of advisors and mechanics? My experience with Whitefield has been okay types..
Old 26th February 2010, 22:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
a. i am tall (188 cm) and drive with the seat at the rear most position
that is more then 6'3"! Are you sure? Are you not finding ANHC to be little cramped?
Old 26th February 2010, 23:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
that is more then 6'3"! Are you sure? Are you not finding ANHC to be little cramped?
The driving position is perfect in the most rear position of the seat.
one of the main reason for me to buy ANHC is that even at this postion, a 5 feet 8/9" person can perfectly sit on the rear seat behind the driver.

i did drive the car several times before making the purchase decision

for me the driving comfort the car provides is very much ahead of other cars in the segment.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
Hi Nayyar,
I have seen when the clutch is released suddently there is a sound which I haven't noticed in my previous car (Santro), but I am used to releasing it very gently so I don't find this a problem.
However I agree on that fact that the clutch is too deep and esp for people like me who are short, makes things sligtly difficult.
Gear - I haven't seen a problem in the 1st or reverse gear either. I did have problems in down shifting to 2nd intially but that seemed tp have silkened after 2.5k run
I have observed this too. There is a very gentle "thak" kinda sound (not audible if ur music system is on) if your clutch release hasn't been gradual.
After my 4th service, i have observed the same kinda sound coming when i brake at low speeds while reversing the car (probably from the brakes).
Old 8th August 2010, 01:06   #11
BHPian

Got my 5th Service done today. Apart from regular service chores, got my clutch bleeding done to bring down the vibrations that i feel from the clutch. The vibrations have come down but i still feel gentle vibrations while i move the car from standstill. Is this some kinda characteristic of the car? I rev up the car very little to move it from standstill. However if i use just a tad more gas, i dont feel the vibrations. There is no other shuddering etc when i am driving. They lubricated the clutch pedal too and it feels smooth. I still feel that i should not be getting vibrations. The traction is great otherwise and the gearbox is very smooth. What could be wrong?. Honda says iVTECs have a little vibration due to the increased torque etc but i dont believe this.

Another strange clicking noise (or rather a bone crunching kind of a noise) which i observed and posted earlier was probably from the brakes. It used to come when i used the brakes early in the morning (1st braking). It was dubbed normal as the brakes lock themselves after sometime and the first depression of the brake pedal releases the lock??? Just wanted to check with other ANHC owners.
Old 8th August 2010, 10:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayyar.rao View Post
Another strange clicking noise (or rather a bone crunching kind of a noise) which i observed and posted earlier was probably from the brakes. It used to come when i used the brakes early in the morning (1st braking). It was dubbed normal as the brakes lock themselves after sometime and the first depression of the brake pedal releases the lock??? Just wanted to check with other ANHC owners.

The handbrakes when released may still have the brakes locked & as you try to move they get released & quite audible. This is more prominent when the conditions are wet / monsoon & the handbrakes are applied for a long time. (overnight for example). I had this in my VTEC ZX (which has disk at the rare), current ANHC did not observe (pay attention) this yet, may be it is the same.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:24   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nayyar, the symptoms you speak of indicate a flywheel (most likely) or clutch pressure plate gone bad. I suggest you take it up with your dealer and get the said components changed under warranty. There should NOT be any shudder when driving off from a standstill.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:53   #14
BHPian

My car too is bought in Mar 2009 and has done 20,000kms to date.
1. Also observed the same 'thak' sound when clutch is released, found it more prominent when clutch is required to be depressed frequently in stop and go traffic. When reported to service during last service a week back, they said there is no issue.

2. On the brake noise, the 'kat kat' sound is head after moving the car from stationery position esp in the mornings.
Old 9th August 2010, 15:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

@bhaani &nayyar : Looks like a classic case of ASC trying to fob off customers under some pretext or other. I can bet you that the moment the vehicle is out of warranty, its these mechanics only who will suggest clutch change.

As GTO posted, get the entire clutch assembly changed ASAP under warranty.

P.S: The spongy affect sometimes is also caused in monsoon as the DOT-3/4 fluids are hygroscopic in nature and absorb a lot of moisture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks