Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 22:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

i just noticed there is a error in my previous post, i meant-
"such a service can be expected in a A.S.S. only if you have your 'contacts' in there".

i guess the message was conveyed anyhow!
Old 6th March 2010, 18:41   #17
BHPian

Engine oil change

Folks,

I have a 2005 crde, last oil changes happened in June 09 with 51 K on the odo. I am now at 60 K, should I wait till I go past 15 K (as the manual says) or give the car for a service now?

At a free check-up camp organised by the ASC last month, i was told the engine oil is fine. Dipstick shows slightly more than full...

What say?
Old 9th March 2010, 21:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

If you are using Mobil Delvac MX or Delo 400, then you can do the oil change after 12K kms. BTW, I do it at 7 to 8 K kms.

Maxximile oil that the M&M ASCs use and reccommend is supplied to them by Shell nowadays. Earlier Idemitsu used to be the oil supplier. Shell Helix is a good oil but plain Shell......

The Scorpio takes 6 ltrs of oil. If you overfill then the oil will start going into the cylinders thus fouling the nozzles/injectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Folks,

I have a 2005 crde, last oil changes happened in June 09 with 51 K on the odo. I am now at 60 K, should I wait till I go past 15 K (as the manual says) or give the car for a service now?

At a free check-up camp organised by the ASC last month, i was told the engine oil is fine. Dipstick shows slightly more than full...

What say?

Last edited by gd1418 : 9th March 2010 at 21:28.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nozzle service woes

This has reference to my OP. The same day after taking delivery the vehicle cruised. Sound levels, vibrations etc., were almost nil.

The problem started the next day. The Bull, 11 out of 10 times, used to start at less than half crank every single day prior to the nozzle service; even in the harsh winters of Delhi. And used to settle in a smooth purr immediately.

It is only in Leh and that too in Pangong Tso & Tso Moriri it took several cranks to start and some time to settle down; so did the other later CRDes.

When I started my vehicle the next day on 27th Feb, as usual I only half turned the key. Krrr... the sound emanates from the starter but the engine wouldn't fire. Second time a full turn of the key and a longer crank, the engine fires but a dhad, dhad sound comes. As if one of the cylinders is not firing. I looked in the RVM for smoke, but there was none. Got down and looked at the exhaust, no smoke, but the dhad, dhad continued. Thought that the 1 minute idling would settle it down. No such luck. Then I tapped on the gas pedal, a slight improvement and then raced it to 1500 rpm and released; all normal. Smooth purr.

Left for work and had the smoothest ride ever. Parked the car at work. In the evening when I started again, the same scenario.

This continued for some days and then I called my FNG to explain. He said that he would come in the morning before going to workshop to see for himself as he couldn't diagnose on the phone. I was sure that it had something to do with the nozzles.

Next day Rakesh arrived in the morning, opened the bonnet and asked me to start the engine. Bloody hell, less than half crank and it fires smoothly as ever. But I wasn't convinced and said that I will come to the workshop. Went and asked him to remove the nozzles again and asked him to personally go to the nozzle cleaner and check for himself.

He went and came back after sometime saying nothing wrong with the nozzles at all. Refitted and started in his presence. Started, shuddered and settled down. Not good.

FNG called somebody on the phone to consult and then removed the rubber connected to the thick aluminium pipe on which the EGR valve is located and poured diesel while keeping the RPM at 2000. Black, white and blue smoke from the exhaust in copius quantities and the engine sound was more smoother. The accelarator felt lighter. It was decarbonising that the ASCs do, albeit with some other chemical mixed with diesel.

Happy & hoping the problem solved, flew at 120+ on NH8 to work. Started in the evening and the same problem. I thought I would give it a few days to settle out as none of my theories were working. New Air filter, new diesel & oil filters, new battery, no fuel line leakage, no signs of extra air intake through fuel. I couldn't think of anything else.

The next day the dhad, dhad was more pronounced. Well, I continued. Once it settled down the vehicle behave impeccably. One morning it started as before in half crank and 5 hours later the dhad, dhad returned.

BTW, my average improved after nozzle service. Earlier without AC it was 12 in the city limits. Now it was 11.11 & 11.8 with AC on.

A call was placed to Roshun explaining the problem and surprisingly he said that he too faced this problem although he didn't get the injectors of his truck cleaned. Instead he poured a can of STP injector cleaner and for 25K kms it was good. Any how he said that he would research in the night and let me know the next day.

Next day he said, that EGR valve could be the culprit. It could be sticking and remaining open when cold thus causing the dhad, dhad. He also cited that it was regular problem with turbocharged cars in the west where the temperatures were low. Since the EGR valve runs dry and in extreme hot and dirty conditions, cleaning could help as no lubrication would work or survive. Point taken.

Yesterday on Sunday, after requesting Rakesh to specially come for me, got the EGR valve cleaned. It was opened, found full of carbon, was soaked in diesel, cleaned, dried and fitted. Time taken 45 minutes.
Half crank and the car fires, no shudder. Runs smooth.

This morning the dhad, dhad returned and it took 2 cranks.

Any bright ideas except suggesting me to go to ASC?

BTW, I must add here that I met Arush (Autopsyche) at some function and explained to him the above. He said it is a common problem abroad and recommended that the EGR valve should be changed at every 50K Kms. Scorpio's EGR valve costs 3K.
Old 16th March 2010, 07:14   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

these cars seem to have a mind of their own. every time I feel slightly dissatisfied with my Scorpio for ANY reason and grumble to it while driving saying that Im going to send it off for servicing, it suddenly starts behaving beautifully.
Examples in particular are morning drives where sometimes, while moving off in first and then second, while taking the turn near my house en route to work, I hear a bit of a raucous diesel clatter and immediately grumble. It settles down almost immediately.

Somewhat like threatening my dogs when they behave badly that I will take them to see the vet.they subside almost immediately.

weird, but I think there is a "deeper" psychological connection that all cars have or develop with their owners!
same thing used to happen in my old gypsy, old santro, esteem, maruti 800's and more recently the Swift as well. Of the 8-9 cars I ve owned, i find this one piece of behaviour to be a constant. dont know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Next day Rakesh arrived in the morning, opened the bonnet and asked me to start the engine. Bloody hell, less than half crank and it fires smoothly as ever. But I wasn't convinced and said that I will come to the workshop. Went and asked him to remove the nozzles again and asked him to personally go to the nozzle cleaner and check for himself.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th March 2010 at 07:16.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

You are right Shankar. As kids, whenever we used to fall sick, the mere mention of a visit to the Doctor used to bring the temperature down to normal.

Today morning - half crank, engine fired and purring smoothly.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:00   #22
BHPian

GD How is the Scorpio doing now.
I spoke to Rakesh, and need your feedback before I take my 2003 end Non Crde Scorpio for Injector Cleaning.

Styler
Old 14th April 2010, 10:01   #23
BHPian

GD Bhai, Where are you, waiting for your feedback.
Old 14th April 2010, 22:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Ooops, sorry missed out on this post. Actually logged on to TBHP after some time as I was travelling.

I have come to the conclusion that Nozzle cleaning has no relevance to the shudder that i'm experiencing. Currently the shudder is less than 3 seconds and my doubt is on the EGR valve and its electrical impulse.

The nozzle service, of course has resulted in better pick-up and average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
GD How is the Scorpio doing now.
I spoke to Rakesh, and need your feedback before I take my 2003 end Non Crde Scorpio for Injector Cleaning.

Styler
Quote:
GD Bhai, Where are you, waiting for your feedback.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:46   #25
BHPian

Does Anybody have the Contact info of the Mico Authorized Service Center in or around South Delhi where they Service Fuel Injectors / Nozzles for the Scorpio ?
Old 10th May 2010, 12:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does Anybody have the Contact info of the Mico Authorized Service Center in or around South Delhi where they Service Fuel Injectors / Nozzles for the Scorpio ?
I believe it's somewhere on panchkuina road, near CP. Exact address can be confirmed with Tanveer (tsk1979) who had paid multiple visits to them due to Safari's issue !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks