Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2016, 22:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Steering won't return back (after a u-turn)!

Hi Kushal,
Please monitor the level of the power steering oil regularly before concluding that there is a leak. If indeed there is a leak, the level of oil in the reservoir tank should come down. I assume the mechanic is referring to a leak from the power steering pump to tube joint. But before going in for repairs, please confirm whether there is a drop in the level of oil.
Further, as an afterthought, please confirm the castor angle against the recommended values of the manufacturer.

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 13:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Hi Kushal,
Please monitor the level of the power steering oil regularly before concluding that there is a leak. If indeed there is a leak, the level of oil in the reservoir tank should come down. I assume the mechanic is referring to a leak from the power steering pump to tube joint. But before going in for repairs, please confirm whether there is a drop in the level of oil.
Further, as an afterthought, please confirm the castor angle against the recommended values of the manufacturer.

Regards,

Samish
Thank you samish_g will definitely check the oil level once again. And for the castor angle, i will get it checked from a different wheel balancing shop.
Cheers
Old 24th February 2016, 14:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Spark Steering Issue!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushal_Gupta View Post
Hello BHPians, I own a Chevrolet spark (october 2008) done 57k kms.
Recently the car got its front suspensions changed and with it all the bushes replaced. The car runs good.
But recently while driving i noticed that after completing the turn, the steering doesn't turn back to its initial position unless done by me (this usually should not happen) (Correct me if i am wrong). The steering wheel vibrated while turning and made funny noises. I went to my trusted mechanic and after check up told me that there is leakage in gaskets in the hydraulic cylinder and there is no steering oil. The vibration and funny noises went away after filling up the oil again.
I faced this issue after doing wheel alignment from a new place. As per their machine (Bosch) the front Toe was set to 0.26". I researched a bit and also compared with my previous alignment and found that the Toe setting required close to 0. Once I got the values corrected, the steering issue went away.

The thing to note is that, steering centering is a subset of Caster setting. But in most cars, caster cannot be set and in my case, changing the Toe changed the Caster values also. So you might have to play around with the settings to get the desired results. A competent alignment shop should be able to do it without your guidance.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 14:59   #19

Quote:
The thing to note is that, steering centering is a subset of Caster setting. But in most cars, caster cannot be set and in my case, changing the Toe changed the Caster values also. So you might have to play around with the settings to get the desired results. A competent alignment shop should be able to do it without your guidance.
Thank you Jaguar for guiding. Will definitely look into this and revert back with the results.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks