Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 10:53   #16
BHPian

Re: New Car Smell and Headache - Is that true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I hope you have removed all the plastic sheets that wrap the seats, etc... Surprisingly, some people actually like the new car smell and there are even some car air fresheners/perfumes with the new car fragrance!!
Thanks for the tips. I haven't removed the plastic sheets from rear seats, I will try today. Even I wonder how some people like this smell, probably the genuine new car smell could be much milder than what I'm experiencing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
My suggestion would be to use the same technique if you are OK with Camphor Smell. By the way, Camphor also serves as an agent to remove head-ache to certain extent... Another advantage of using camphor is, it keeps all rats and other rodents away ! !
Wow, nice one. I will try this for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Congrats on the new ride. If you doubt the rubber mats, why don't to remove them and try for a day or two? In the mean time keep the windows opened during drives as much as possible to get rid of the smell quicker.
Thank you. I thought of removing the rubber mats, but I will be spoiling the carpet with lot of dust. let me find a workaround to remove the mats for sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Do you wanna try giving the ground coffee / coffee seeds a shot? They have odor absorbing qualities... and who knows, that extra doze of nasal caffeine intake, might give you a nice turbo boost
Old 15th February 2017, 15:34   #17
BHPian

Re: Beware of that new car smell

Thank you for all the tips. I have tried removing all the poor quality rubber mats and plastic covers from seats and placed the brown paper came along with new car temporarily which removed most of the irritating smell. Also I placed some camphor packed in a cloth under hand brake lever. Couldn't feel much of camphor smell, but that old issue is resolved.

Now I found the actual new car smell, so far I was complaining about the rubber smell from those poor quality mats. Looking for a good car perfume and car mat, also in a confusion between 3D Maxipider and DIY Noodle mats. Hope this resolves the issue permanently.
Old 15th February 2017, 20:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
We kept Camphor tied in a white cloth inside the car. The diffusion of Camphor inside the car Subsides all other smells.

My suggestion would be to use the same technique if you are OK with Camphor Smell. By the way, Camphor also serves as an agent to remove head-ache to certain extent

Another advantage of using camphor is, it keeps all rats and other rodents away ! !
+1 to this. I have been using camphor for many many years.

I don't tie it in a cloth, but directly put a few pellets on the dash, side pockets, boot, and under the floor mats. This also seems to absorb bad odours, dank smells during the monsoons, etc.

I stopped using any sort of perfumes in car from 2006 or so!
haria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 22:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

If you are hell bent on getting rid of the new car smell then put some bags or boxes of activated carbon in your car, especially in front of the ac vents or get a car air purifier.

I personally love the new car smell and try my best to preserve it as long as possible, its one of the best things about buying a new car ! My in laws hate it however and got interior cleaning done and aired it out whenever possible to get rid of it fast.

Is there any air freshener which actually smells like or similar to a new car ? Ive tried a few but none of them smell anything like it and end up with more perfumy smells. Id greatly appreciate any recommendations for a good new car smell air freshener !
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 22:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
+1 to this. I have been using camphor for many many years.
I thought camphor had slipped in the health ratings in recent years and was now supposed to be bad for us. All that Vick my mum slathered on my chest when I was a child. In fact, I admit that I still find it comforting.

When I read that, on the contrary, it might actually be bad for us, I thought, I can't see its use in ritual ever changing. Then I was amazed to find that even some priests are concerned at the effects of inhaling it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 10:18   #21
BHPian

Also I believe the current gen camphor is not the original one which we used in childhood. I remember the original one doesn't emit too much black smoke when burning like the currently available ones. Also i heard that the new ones are made out of crude oil/diesel wastages. Have to do a research to find the original one.
EPMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 10:33   #22
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I thought camphor had slipped in the health ratings in recent years and was now supposed to be bad for us. All that Vick my mum slathered on my chest when I was a child. In fact, I admit that I still find it comforting.
The real/old time camphor was from the bark of the Camphor tree (that also explains it's use in food, especially sweets) but now Camphor is produced chemically from Turpentine oil I just hope that's not the version that's used these days in sweets!
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 11:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The real/old time camphor was from the bark of the Camphor tree (that also explains it's use in food, especially sweets) but now Camphor is produced chemically from Turpentine oil I just hope that's not the version that's used these days in sweets!
True that. The ones that are made now days are more synthetic in origin and soot from it is destroying the sanctum sanctorum of temples. I agree with Thad E Ginathom, it was used for lot of medical purposes earlier and quick solution to control high body temperature, but those days are gone.

Since this is a volatile substance, smelling its vapor that has filled the cabin will lead to what I call "Chamber Effect". Especially for cars that are parked in sun, the cabin temperature will accelerate vapor transition. One another way is to keep activated charcoal bags, but getting that much quantity is too much of a challenge.

I practiced one thing that an old friend of mine suggested to remove pungent food odor in my car. I parked my car from early morning to sun set in full sunlight with windows half rolled down near my house. My apartment caretaker was keeping an eye on it all the while. At the end of the day, the odor was significantly milder and couple of repeats later, it vanished and also the glue and resin smell that came along with my car carpets.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 13:27   #24
BHPian

I mostly get headache

1, When I have to drive long time in the sun without sunglasses. Sunglasses help.
2, When I am dehydrated due to sweating/breathing dry air from the air conditioner of the car. Sipping water every 10-15 minutes help.
3, From that plastic/chemical smell of the new car. Definitely not healthy.
4, When I have my A/C on re-circulation for a long time and oxygen levels drop in the cabin. Time for fresher air to be let inside.

If none of these, it is usually due to some stress.
Old 17th February 2017, 14:39   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavgpai View Post
4, When I have my A/C on re-circulation for a long time ...
The recirculation thing, AC or not, was never intended to be permanently on.

However, it seems that the AC units were not designed for the tropics: we have no hope of keeping our cars cool without recirculation.

(of course, our polluted air is another reason we use it. I accept it is not just a matter of temperature.)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 15:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I mostly get headache

1, When I have to drive long time in the sun without sunglasses. Sunglasses help.
- I too have it and its initial symptom of pending migraine problem. I have inherited from my mom. Very very sensitive to light. Additionally, you might also experience this too, if you sit in warm cabin, you will get this attack. Its due to vasodilation in skull. Sorry, buddy, I think we have to live with it.

Quote:
3, From that plastic/chemical smell of the new car. Definitely not healthy.
- Try the natural solar radiation method I suggested in same thread. Summer is near. Good timing.
Old 24th February 2017, 16:50   #27
BHPian

Ironically, I love the new car smell and truely I have not had enough time to think of any headache given the happiness it brings along with. May be that my envyous neighbour had developed serious headache while sitting in my new car.
Old 25th April 2017, 12:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Recent research in Japan has shown that the new car smell that majority of us love is actually toxic and could trigger headaches, nausea, drowsiness, sore throats and prolonged exposure could probably even lead to cancer! (ouch!). Frankly the cancer part sounds a bit far fetched to me. Car makers are working to reduce the gases and chemicals that lead to the new car smell. Maybe one day we may get a new car with none of that lovely new car smell.
One of the best ways to remove any odour from your car, refrigerator or even your roomis to keep about 10/15 odd charcoal bricks (about 2-3 cms in diameter). You may regenerate it once in a month or so by keeping it in the sun for about half a day.
Old 25th April 2017, 15:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
One of the best ways to remove any odour from your car, refrigerator or even your roomis to keep about 10/15 odd charcoal bricks (about 2-3 cms in diameter). You may regenerate it once in a month or so by keeping it in the sun for about half a day.
This by itself will not work as scrubber. You need to force the cabin air into this brick or bags to scrub.

Bosch has Activated Charcoal A/C filter and car cabin air purifiers (Eureka Forbes etc.) have this as part of their filter.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 12:48   #30
BHPian

Ive had the trouble of headache while travelling on our new Xylo and also my brother's new Ford Escape in Abu Dhabi. What we did was the following ;

1. Kept the car windows open for a long time.
2. Kept some lemon slices all around.
3. Used cleaning solution for the dashboard.

I completely agree the particles of silicon ,plastic,upholstery etc are unhealthy.These are some of the things you can do to stay safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks