Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2010, 15:34   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoin View Post
2. Checked the cars central locking kit. Mine was an after market fitting (Autocop). There was an audible alarm for the handbrake as one of the features. Noramally, the installation guys do not want to connect the whole thing and would give you a lot of reasons why it should not be connected. I had an arguement for an hour after which the wire was duly connected.

Now, whenever I switch on the ignition, there is an audible alarm (only once) - no nuisance alarms while driving.
Is this option available on other AUTOCOP which comes with Santro ?

I think audible warning is best way out, cause if the driver was so much trained that he would go through checklist, he would have ended at a better job,
or in case of family members, not everyone would follow the instructions.
Old 11th April 2010, 16:38   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I am not sure if a person so occupied with other problems that he/ she cannot notice a warning light in the dashboard should be driving a car in the first place.
And what if the engine oil light or temperature indicator comes on some time?

Firstly the buzzer would be irritating at traffic lights and on slopes. The person should be taught to check handbrake before driving off.
Old 11th April 2010, 17:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

In spite of several years of safe driving, I occasionally forget to release the handbrake. How many of us can actually claim not to have forgotten releasing the handbrake ever, if we critically look back on our driving years gone by ? A frank poll could make for interesting results . Some responses to this query, please.
Old 11th April 2010, 21:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
In spite of several years of safe driving, I occasionally forget to release the handbrake. How many of us can actually claim not to have forgotten releasing the handbrake ever, if we critically look back on our driving years gone by ? A frank poll could make for interesting results . Some responses to this query, please.
Despite precautions, I do forget sometimes, but make emends immediately when I feel the car struggling. I sold off my previous car (Dolphin) in 1997 and took a sabbatical from driving, bar the few occasions when I had to drive some relative's car. I started again only in 2009 after buying the Alto. I drove only Padminis and Dolphins till '97 and none of them had either a functional hand brake or a fifth gear. So sometimes I forget either one of them!
Old 12th April 2010, 13:20   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
A close friend was upset today as his younger brother drove his wagon-R with handbrakes on.

This has been 2nd incident, and we don't want the young guy to be refrained from taking the car.
Wouldn't it be better to get to the root cause of this problem. That is, the younger brother's carelessness. He needs training, disciplining or both.

Tomorrow he might start driving with the door open, and then without wearing his shirt! I mean, what is the real problem here?!
Old 12th April 2010, 16:49   #36
RGK
Senior - BHPian

GTO - knowingly or unknowingly we encourage driving without proper training which results in half baked drivers (young and old) . Unfortunately even the Driving schools do the same. Once they teach to move the car without switching off, thats all - training is over. I remember my colleague did not know the concept of Dim/bright in his new car Vista Quadra - Terra. Covered almost 4k kms in 10 months only in dim in the city.
Old 12th April 2010, 16:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

I also have a doubt. When I park my car , to stop it from moving, is it better to put the vehicle in gear or pull the handbrake ? or do both.
Old 12th April 2010, 17:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

I do both. Actually it is better to leave it in first/reverse gear as the situation demands, when there is a slight inclination or slope!
Old 12th April 2010, 17:57   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I only put gear when the slope is very steep, and the car would run back, eg, into the road. Outside some shops, even in flat Chennai, it can be like this.

I remember a thread some time back on parking cars on hills.

Remember: the consequences of driving off with the handbrake on are unlikely to be serious --- the consequence of even starting the engine (if you do not habitually depress the clutch) with the car in gear can be very serious. Best not to discuss it in this thread!
Old 12th April 2010, 18:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Is this option available on other AUTOCOP which comes with Santro ?

I think audible warning is best way out, cause if the driver was so much trained that he would go through checklist, he would have ended at a better job,
or in case of family members, not everyone would follow the instructions.
Sorry, my mistake. It is a Terminator (same company different brand). Just stumbled on this feature while leafing through the manual. It took me 3 weeks to get the service guy come to my place as they could not understand what I needed. The attitude was " Saab, agar lock aur unlock ho raha hai to unit theek hai, hum nahin aa sakte". But once the guy was there, I made him demonstrate all the features given in the leaflet.

BTW, I also got the alarm for lights on connected. Next on the agenda is to get the windows connected to the unit so that they close automatically when I lock the car.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:59   #41
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Hand brake is not sufficient. Need to park in Gear as well.
Old 12th April 2010, 21:23   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Hand brake is not sufficient. Need to park in Gear as well.
Only if you are on an incline, else handbrakes are sufficient.
Old 12th April 2010, 21:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

A simple solution? Hmmm, how about this - pay attention (to the pre car movement checks like seat belt fastened, mirrors adjusted correctly, handbrake off etc)!!!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 13th April 2010, 16:44   #44
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Only if you are on an incline, else handbrakes are sufficient.
Handbrake depends the brake pads life. If you brake pads have done more kms then it is not safe. By general there is nothing wrong having both, but you should discipline yourself to do a fast and simple checklist before starting any new car which you have not driven recently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks