Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 13:00   #1
BHPian

Suspension issue on Fiesta 2007

Hello Guys,

My ride is a Ford Fiesta Petrol Zxi 1.6. Its a 2007 Oct model.
It has done 37000 Kms now and i had changed the tyres from Stock MRF to BF-G 195-60 14inch, at 30k.

From last 4 to 5K kms, i have observed some problem with the front right suspension. Whenever there is a minor/small abberation on the road, the suspension gives a rumbing noise. (dddddrrrrrrrr....)

I initial suspected the issue to the related to the wheel arm.

I visited Lathangi Ford, Bangalore for a diagnosys. They took the vehicle for a spin and they are 99% sure that, it is because of damaged "Suspension Balls".
And they want to remove the whole suspension to find out wat exactly the issue is.

Suspension Balls, according to those service guys cost 1800 to 2000 Rs and would most probably be covered on my extended warranty.

What do u guys think? Could it be just the Suspension balls or it could be something more serious.

FYI.. there is no issue whatsoever with the ride quality, damping and stuff. I did the Bangalore-Kodai-Madurai-KK trip with this issue and dint face any problems other than the rumbling noise from the front suspension area.

Pls help
Old 21st April 2010, 13:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Suspension balls? I didnt understand what this part is.

What they can do is do a thorough check of the suspension including the subframe and its bushes. IIRC suspension is mounted on a subframe in Fiesta. Can be a weak lower arm or might be a worn out bush that is causing the dddddddrrrrrrr. As long as its covered in warranty, go for it.
Old 21st April 2010, 13:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

pramod, you are running the car on upsized tires. Hopefully they have not noticed it and won't void your suspension warranty because of that. I am curious to know what suspension balls are.
Old 21st April 2010, 15:28   #4
BHPian

I think the service guys is talking about suspension bush. And that is what the problem should be if you hear the mentioned noise only on bad roads.

If it is suspension bushes, there is nothing to worry much. You can go ahead and change it (since its covered under warranty as u say) or u can plan to change it later. It doesn't cause any other harm, other than the noise.
Old 21st April 2010, 17:16   #5
BHPian

Since i was not sure of the different parts in the Suspension setup, i dint bother much to question further on the "Suspension balls" thing.
Anyways, i plan to visit the service center on saturday morning and get the dismantle of the suspension going.

Will keep you guys posted on the issue, and then get it fixed.
Old 23rd April 2010, 04:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dont want to hijack this thread but i couldnt find any other relevent thread so posting it here.
I own a Ford Fiesta and these days i am hearing a noise when i turn my car on eathier side. I can hear the sound coming from the shockers so i am confused is it the suspension or the axle that is the problem. My car has run around 70K till now so i hope its not the suspension that need replacment. If so can you give me an idea how much will it cost?
Old 23rd April 2010, 06:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Since i was not sure of the different parts in the Suspension setup, i dint bother much to question further on the "Suspension balls" thing.
Anyways, i plan to visit the service center on saturday morning and get the dismantle of the suspension going.

Will keep you guys posted on the issue, and then get it fixed.
I think its the ball joint they are talking about. Sometimes the LBJ is a part of the control arm and you need to replace teh whole thing.
Old 21st June 2010, 14:05   #8
BHPian

Guys,

I finally got the suspension repaired. It was the Suspension Bearings, which was faulty. Hence the Suspension Bearing costing 1700 Rs, was replaced on Warranty.

Also, the AC was very noisy and cooling was ineffective. The blockages in the AC duct was cleared. Issue resolved.

At 40,000 Kms in 2.5 years, with myself not in the country for 1/3 rd of the year, it is just doing great.

The only regret i have is fitting the 195/60 tyres. I really feel the steering/handling has been compromised a big deal.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:36   #9
BHPian

195/60 on 14 '' is a wrong upgrade for fiesta. in 14'' , 185/65 and in 15'' 195/55 are the corruct upgrade. as per ford policy you will not get warranty for suspension if you are using aftermarket alloys and upsized tires.
Old 4th September 2011, 22:50   #10

Re: Suspension issue on Fiesta 2007

Hey all ,
I own a Ford Fiesta TDCi Zxi 1.4. Its a 2006 june model.it has done about 1lakh kms now. now a days when i go through a minor/small abberation on the road, the suspension gives a rumbing noise. (dddddrrrrrrrr....) from the left side . This sound also appers when i go at low rpm in 1st,2nd gear also.Low rpm means below 1000 .
I visited PVS Ford ,Calicut for a diagnosys. They took the vehicle for a drive and are saying that i should change the lower arm , ball joint , tie road end and left shock absorber. 1.)Can any one tell me does changing all these would solve my issue ??
2)Does lower arm/tie road end/ball joint come in a pair from the ford or is it comes for a single side ??
3)Does lower arm also include the ball joints in them ??
4) In case if i am carrying out work from a local workshop , can i just change the ball joints and see?
5) What is Suspension bearing ? Would changing that solve the issue ?
6)If anybody has the rate of lowerarm , ball joint , tie road end , suspensing bearing , please let me know along with the labour carried out to perfrom the repair.

Please Help me
Old 5th September 2011, 02:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh1233 View Post
Hey all ,
I own a Ford Fiesta TDCi Zxi 1.4. Its a 2006 june model.it has done about 1lakh kms now.
This sound also appers when i go at low rpm in 1st,2nd gear also.Low rpm means below 1000 .
you need to get the suspension components checked independently ; open the linkages and check the tie rod end first,then each component individually;replace only what is necessary.

I'd recommend going to an independent who can do the above patiently.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 20:14   #12

I had went to a local workshop and the workshop man suspected ball joints. In fiesta the ball joints seems to be attached to the lowerarm. He cut out the ball joints from the lowerarm and fixed up a indian made ball joints. But this also didnt stop the issue. So finally i decided to do the work from the dealer. But when dealer saw the ball joints cut in from the lowerarm and fixed up use bolts and nuts , he told me to change the lowerarm. Can anybody tell me the cost of lowerarm ? will changing lowerarm solve this issue.
please help me bhpians . The dealer is quoting 20 k for suspension work.
Old 5th September 2011, 20:25   #13

The workshop men also inspected the tie rod end. He says they are fine. The left shockabsorber is little weak. But i hear the (drrrrrrr) nosie when i release the clutch when moving the car from 0kmph. The sound is not just when the car is going over uneven roads , but also when the car stars moving from stall at low rpm ( below 1000). Please Help
Old 31st March 2012, 10:43   #14
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need advice on fiesta suspension.

I have 2006 1.4EXI petrol model. Now done 78000KM. Past 60K KM comfort level in the car had gone bad. In the last service i got the suspension changed. Following parts where changed(putting the price just for info):
1. Front shock absorber(2nos) : 4716Rs(labour: 860Rs)
2. Front link rod(2nos) : 2293Rs(labour: 280Rs)
3. Read shock absorber(2nos) : 2622Rs(labour: 717Rs)

With the above changes....car handling and comfort has improved. But I still feel the comfort level is not up to the mark.
Service guys says the rubber bush above the suspension, the coil spring and the lower arm are in good condition so no use of changing them.

I wanted to know if it will really help in improving the comfort level if i get the coil spring changed ? Should I look at changing something else to improve the comfort level ? I wanted to get the comfort level of a new fiesta. Is it too much to ask for on a 6year old car ?

Thanks
DM
Old 31st March 2012, 13:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denomathew View Post
I wanted to know if it will really help in improving the comfort level if i get the coil spring changed ? Should I look at changing something else to improve the comfort level ? I wanted to get the comfort level of a new fiesta. Is it too much to ask for on a 6year old car ?
No need for changing the coil springs. Check the ball joints. Also, the lower arm bushes.

Also, I guess at 78k your tyres should are about ~30k kms old? If so, they would also affect ride.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks