Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2010, 09:45   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Catch-22 with my beloved Maruti 800!

Hi Friends,

I have a Maruti 800 (2002) Limited Edition (Laguna Blue) and I have always loved it -for its looks, ubiquitous utility and the fact that it's a limited edition car - a real turner. Mileage is 88,000 kms and of late it's been expecting major repairs. My latest trip to a Maruti Dealer's workshop (Rana Motors) in Delhi had me looking into the following estimate for repairs:
  • Issue: Some cranky noise comes in from the engine when it's driven over-long in 1st or 2nd gear
    • Assessment: Half Engine to be replaced:
    • Estimate:
      • Rana Motors: Rs. 25,000
      • Maruti Service Masters: Rs. 35,000
      • Large, local workshop: Rs. 8,000
  • Issue: Steering is hard to operate and produces some squeaky noise at some points in rotation:
    • Dealer's Assessment: Steering Column to be replaced.
    • Estimate:
      • Rana Motors: Rs. 10-12,000
      • Large, local workshop: Rs. 4,000
  • Issue: Air-conditioner was externally fitted by Satnam Motors of Delhi during the year 2003 and uses R-12 Gas.
    • Dealer's Assessment: R-12 Gas is not available any more and A/C will have to be replaced
    • Large, local workshop: A compatible gas can be used and cooling will be okay types
  • Other Issues: Body has been kissed my Delhi's traffic from various places over the past and it would go for a fully body paint work.
Net result is that I am staring at an expense of ~50,000 within the next 6-months to keep it going any further. However, the car is not likely to fetch more than Rs. 80,000 by any chance, if I were to sell it within the next 6-months .. that's after the repairs have been done (without body work).

I have a Maruti Swift Dzire that does the heavy load of family and office routines and my little sweet-heard (M800) is my wife's favorite as well. She uses it drive around for errands .. no more than 5-10 kms a day.

My dilemma is - whether I should:
  • Spend 50k on repairs of my M800
  • Buy another second-hand car (Santro, Old Zen, WagonR) for my wife
  • Buy a new small car for my wife (loan will have to be taken)
Folks, I understand many of these details would be highly subjective and decisions would base on personal situation, yet your views would be highly appreciated. Do note that I am not a rich man and buying a new car on loan would stretch my monthly budget.

Thanks for having read through and caring to help

_ Yo!
Old 25th April 2010, 10:29   #2
BHPian

Sell the car and buy something else, new or second hand, not worth spending 50k on an 800, unless you are very emotionally attached to the car.
Old 25th April 2010, 10:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Be practical, sell the Maruti 800 and buy another car for your wife.

A new Alto/Spark or a used Santro/i10 (1.1) may be considered.

Rohan
Old 25th April 2010, 11:27   #4
BHPian

I feel its not worth spending close to 50k for your M800 repairs.
Instead, go for a used Alto / Santro / Spark .I suggest you sell your M800 directly to a customer to get a good price, and buy a used car from a reputed dealer like First choice / Maruti true value.Yes, you may have to spend more for the purchase, but in the long run, it would be beneficial in every sense.
Old 25th April 2010, 11:49   #5
BANNED

How about spending 50k now on M800 so my wife (just started driving in the past 1-month) finishes her driving skills during the next 1-year? We can sell this car for about a year later (say, for 50k) and buy a new car for her at that time. What say?
Old 25th April 2010, 12:22   #6
BANNED

If I have to buy a new car, shall I wait for Maruti Cervo ... rumored launching in 2-3 months? .. It's reported ex-showroom price is Rs. 1.5 - 2.0 lakhs.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiBear View Post
Mileage is 88,000 kms and of late it's been expecting major repairs.
* Issue: Some cranky noise comes in from the engine when it's driven over-long in 1st or 2nd gear
o Assessment: Half Engine to be replaced:
o Estimate:
+ Rana Motors: Rs. 25,000
+ Maruti Service Masters: Rs. 35,000
+ Large, local workshop: Rs. 8,000
Your car's done only 88,000 Kms, that's not the mileage at which you replace the guts of your engine. An 800's 'half-engine' is ~12K from Maruti & consists of a new block, pistons, con-rods, & crankshaft. You can instead have the old engine taken apart & overhauled, any out-of-spec or worn parts can be replaced as required. By going with the half-engine you'd be replacing the hardiest components of the engine (more than likely they're not the cause of the 'noises' you're hearing).

Quote:
* Issue: Steering is hard to operate and produces some squeaky noise at some points in rotation:
o Dealer's Assessment: Steering Column to be replaced.
o Estimate:
+ Rana Motors: Rs. 10-12,000
+ Large, local workshop: Rs. 4,000
Once again, the quotes seem excessive - the Alto's rack, for example, costs around 2.4K only ! Have the steering system serviced & any worn bearings & seals replaced. These are simple mechanical components & can be serviced easily.

Quote:
* Issue: Air-conditioner was externally fitted by Satnam Motors of Delhi during the year 2003 and uses R-12 Gas.
o Dealer's Assessment: R-12 Gas is not available any more and A/C will have to be replaced
o Large, local workshop: A compatible gas can be used and cooling will be okay types
Yes, R12 A/C gas is not available at Maruti service centers anymore. You can however find road-side auto A/C shops who will readily fill R12 gas for you.
Old 25th April 2010, 14:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
How about spending 50k now on M800 so my wife (just started driving in the past 1-month) finishes her driving skills during the next 1-year? We can sell this car for about a year later (say, for 50k) and buy a new car for her at that time. What say?
Not a bad idea, if ur going to sell the car after one year,and happy with the price ( say 50k ) it fetches.
Quote:
If I have to buy a new car, shall I wait for Maruti Cervo ... rumored launching in 2-3 months? .. It's reported ex-showroom price is Rs. 1.5 - 2.0 lakhs.
IMO nothing much is known about the Cervo as yet (regarding the prices, features, availability etc).
Better to wait and watch for a few more months.
Old 25th April 2010, 14:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

You donot have to spend 50 for all this, believe you me. The half engine from an authorised service station with labour bla bla etc can be done in 20 thousand less . 20 is a over the top figure i am estimating, i ll 100% be less than that

The whole steering assembly is less than 3 grand.

and you donot need to replace the A/C system, go to the local guy and get it fixed.

The car will be on the road in 25 grand arounds.
Old 25th April 2010, 15:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yogi, 88K on M800 is not the reading where engine work is expected, anyway, depends on how its being ripped too. I would suggest taking it to 2-3 M.A.S.S, who're big, small & entry players, get the issues thoroughly analyzed & then carry on with the repair works. The reason I'm saying this is because, it may probably not cost you 50K if the issues are not over analyzed.

Incase, the issues are for real & it should cost you 50K in reality, then you may want to fix most of the issues partially & then keep it running until your wife learns to drive. Then, if you don't have any sentiments towards your drive, then sell it off to buy a better one or keep it with you after repairing..

Last edited by aargee : 25th April 2010 at 15:13.
Old 25th April 2010, 19:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

you are being conned my friend, that too for a car like M800!

thats a very substantial amount you are being quoted.

follow the advice on TBhp...its free of charge!
Old 25th April 2010, 19:55   #12
BHPian

Oh, you should definitely sell it, mate. I've gone through this twice, once on my old 85 Fiat, and on my M800. I made the mistake of refurbishing my 98 model M800 including full painting, small engine jobs (only done 50K km.) new upholstery, lights, new tyres, remote lock etc at a total cost of nearly 40K, because I felt I didn't need a new car.

Well, the novelty wore off in about two months, and after rear-ending a Ford under panic braking, I've seen the light. It's still as bad as it ever was, and I'm out nearly half a lakh I'll never get back. The 800 is just not worth it. It's too old and too unsafe to drive. Just sell it off for what you can get, and get anything made in the last 5 years. Even an Alto, or a newer 800 if you're keen on them. Believe me, you'll get over the old car in about 2 weeks at most. You'll not regret it.

Last edited by vivekgk : 25th April 2010 at 19:59.
Old 25th April 2010, 19:57   #13
BANNED

Whoa....! who gave you those estimates, Who said R-12 gas is no more available.

You dont need to do the engine work at 88K mileage, i did mine at 1.40 lac kms. As on date i've run 2.40 lac kms on my 1997 M-800, runs without issues. I recently got my A/C gas topped up.(my a/c is 10 yrs old, and my car is 13 yrs old)

Selling the M-800 and buying a used Alto or any smaller car will cost your pocket dear, and who knows what all you need to do in the cars you buy. Keep the car.

1) Complete engine job must not cost you more than 25K

2) Steering is hard- overhaul it, replace new dampers, should cost you Rs. 3500/-

3) A/C can be checked / overhauled and new R-12 gas filled, costing around Rs.3000/-

Leave the tinkering and painting as of now, complete the mechanical work on the steering and the A/C and keep the rest for later.

Some people want to do everything together, thats not the best way always.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 25th April 2010 at 19:59.
Old 25th April 2010, 20:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you love the car , keep it.It may not cost you the exorbitant 50K quoted to keep it in running condition.You could spread the cost over a period of time if you like, do the critical repairs now and the rest later so you don't end up paying a lumpsum money in one go.That way you might not feel the pinch too hard.A used car will frankly have it's own share of problems.Even my 800's steering was giving out a squeaking noise while turning.
I was under impression that it's gonna cost a bomb to replace the whole thing.But luckily all it needed was some greasing and the noise was gone.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 25th April 2010 at 20:33.
Old 25th April 2010, 20:45   #15
BHPian

I would keep the car in the same condition for 3-4 more months while your wife gets a chance to learn and then sell it of and look at buying a new car like the i10, Spark, Beat, Santro, Wagon R or Figo.
Avoid going in for a 2nd hand car as this way you will not have to think about getting parts replaced for another few more years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks