Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 13:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't know whether it is the summer heat, but my car battery went kaput almost two months after I started parking the car in the hot sun. I used to park under shades of trees before that.
From my experience (car parked on the road for all the elements to mess up with, since 2004), external elements won't mess up with the mechanicals or electricals of the vehicle. So if the battery went kaput, it may have something to do with the battery than the sun. (On a lighter note, the sun could probably charge the battery up, not drain it down, don't you think? )
Old 28th April 2010, 15:03   #17
BHPian

I am not sure about the effects of heat on the car battery. Think modern day cars are built to withstand harsh weather conditions. However, some amount of care might be required for the dash board and the leather components.

After market paint jobs tend to fail under extreme heat too. To some extend, extreme heat effects the fuel efficiency too as there's more load on the air-conditioning unit to cool the cabin.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
No perfumes

Llumar Sunfilm on all windows

Seat Covers : Natural Leather.

Still I am wondering, why does it happen in my car only ?
Have you tried any elimination process? Does it disappear as soon as the car cools? Like when you drive briefly with the windows open?

I would suggest that you drape a thick fabric / bed spread on the leather seat covers once and see what happens.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
In my personal experience, the batteries don't last for more than 2 years. Don't know if its due to the heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
From my experience (car parked on the road for all the elements to mess up with, since 2004), external elements won't mess up with the mechanicals or electricals of the vehicle. So if the battery went kaput, it may have something to do with the battery than the sun. (On a lighter note, the sun could probably charge the battery up, not drain it down, don't you think? )
Yea it may not be due to the heat. That battery was 4.25 years old. In my experience, all batteries that I've used lasted at least 4 years.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Have you tried any elimination process? Does it disappear as soon as the car cools? Like when you drive briefly with the windows open?
I would suggest that you drape a thick fabric / bed spread on the leather seat covers once and see what happens.
Yes it does disappear in a minute or two when I open the windows. But the initial entry burn in the eyes is too irrating.

Will definitely explore the choice of bed spread. But will the leather have that effect ? Thinking a lot about the same.

Sorry about the hijack of the thread, but thought its relevant to the subject
Old 28th April 2010, 16:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

No, pure leather should not have that effect. Just a hunch. May have something to do with the chemicals used to cure the leather.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:54   #22
Team-BHP Support

Happened to stumble across this article. Might have some useful points :

LINK

cya
R
Old 2nd March 2021, 14:23   #23
BHPian

re: Hotter summers: impact on cars?

I am planning a long road trip from Mumbai to Bhopal in May 2021 second week. Off course the driving speed would be 80-100 and at times 120. This is from my experience as i finished the same trip last month. Mine is a jeep compass petrol.

So, in the month of May the temperature can go up to 45 and more. So, what are the issues one would face and whether it is advisable to do a long trip.

Thanks and regards
Subrat
Subrat Seet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

1.Do check the tyre pressure, fluids, battery before hand.

2.During the drive do keep an eye on the engine temperature for any overheating.

3.Also make sure you refuel on time. Summer drives mean more air conditioning hence more fuel consumption.

4. With respect to air-conditioning do get the cabin AC filter cleaned if possible. I don't know if window shades are legally allowed nowadays, but if they are permitted do use them.

5. Use sun glasses, if possible for all the passengers. Glares can sometimes induce headaches.

6. Do drink plenty of water and avoid dehydration. Too much time in an closed car with AC can dry out the air. If possible open the window for a second or two every half an hour.

7. Plans food breaks & toilet breaks in advance, even though you have done this route before.

Last edited by TrackDay : 2nd March 2021 at 16:43.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:47   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
Mine is a jeep compass petrol.

So, in the month of May the temperature can go up to 45 and more. So, what are the issues one would face and whether it is advisable to do a long trip.
For a modern car like Jeep Compass, assuming that the car is in generally good health with no known flaws, you should need nothing different for a drive in 45C. I have done many really hot drives in my cars and there was never a problem just because the ambient temperature was 45C. Jeep Compass will handle this without an issue.

However, some extra precaution you will have to take is not while driving, but while parking. Parking the car under hot sun (in 45C temperatures) even during a lunch break will make the cabin ridiculous hot. Please make sure nothing is left in the open on the seats etc in a car parked under such conditions. Such intense heat in a parked car can cause damage. Further, it will take a painfully long amount of time to cool down the interiors once you resume your journey.

Therefore, during my long drives in such hot and sunny conditions, one practice I follow is finding parking in a shaded area. Other than that, just normal driving precautions and ensuring generally good health of a car (just like any other drive) should suffice.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 2nd March 2021 at 17:51.
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
For a modern car like Jeep Compass, assuming that the car is in generally good health with no known flaws, you should need nothing different for a drive in 45C. I have done many really hot drives in my cars and there was never a problem just because the ambient temperature was 45C. Jeep Compass will handle this without an issue.

However, some extra precaution you will have to take is not while driving, but while parking. Parking the car under hot sun (in 45C temperatures) even during a lunch break will make the cabin ridiculous hot. Please make sure nothing is left in the open on the seats etc in a car parked under such conditions. Such intense heat in a parked car can cause damage. Further, it will take a painfully long amount of time to cool down the interiors once you resume your journey.

Therefore, during my long drives in such hot and sunny conditions, one practice I follow is finding parking in a shaded area. Other than that, just normal driving precautions and ensuring generally good health of a car (just like any other drive) should suffice.
Ok. Thank you so much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks