Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 20:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hotter summers: impact on cars?

With the mercury soaring over 40 degree temperatures, how safe are our cars- i mean the immediate and long-term impact on its components?

Especially the electronics part- the ECU and the various sensors in the modern car engine- CRDi or mpfi.

Of course, there is a tolerance built into any component, but still extreme heat can cause performance sapping- the ACs needed to be worked hard, engine excessive heat build up.

There cannot be done anything substantially regarding this, but had anyone done some precaution to protect their car from this heat?
Old 26th April 2010, 23:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

What impact? It makes no impact at all whatsoever. At least I haven't seen any on my 10 yr old Lancer Diesel. Runs the same at 2 'o clock night of December and 2 'o clock afternoon of June. When my 10 yr old vintage can withstand all the vagaries of weather, modern car will fare even better.
Old 26th April 2010, 23:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am no expert, but I guess except the correct grade of engine oil, the ECU or sensors are not a major worry for temperatures above 40 degrees.

Of course if you parked your car in the sun, it could get real hot. And I mean REAL hot! Enough to burn your hands too, sometimes. So be careful while touching any parts of the car if it's been parked in the sun for more than a few minutes. If you were to drive off, open all the windows and let the outside air lower the temperatures inside the cabin. Driving like this for a few minutes should also cool the exteriors of the car, at least enough to touch it.

If possible, leave about an inch of a gap in any of the windows to let the hot air escape. Also set the air circulator setting to take in fresh air from outside, so the inside temperature wouldn't soar way up. Do not leave any inflammable materials (tissue papers, incense sticks or anything of that sort) on the dashboard or seats. Plastic bottles, CD cases and CDs and almost all other materials should be stuffed inside the glove box or behind the seats (even under them), where they won't be exposed to direct sunlight. Dark coloured seat fabric will fast heat up in sunlight. If you have a piece of cloth that you use to wipe the car with, wet it and spread it over the steering wheel. Cover the gear knob too, if possible, and the driver's seat at least. This way you will be able to drive off without burning your hands.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2010, 09:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

One imp thing to take care of is the front screen Wiper rubber. If these are kept in the normal position and in contact with the glass they tend to stick to the glass when the vehicle is under hot sun. The best way is to everytime keep the wipers away from the glass even if its for a few minutes. It wont be realized now but when the monsoon starts and you need the wipers you will find the rubber hardened and falling off.
What about the paint and the teflon coating? Any special care to be taken for the same.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

An important side effect will be more fuel consumption due to constant operation of AC. I normally drive without AC in the evenings, but as the summer gets hotter and hotter, this becomes very uncomfortable.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

Yes, prolonged summer has an effect
1. Rubber parts like wipers give away sooner
2. Interior fittings may start fading due to high heat(70 degree C when car is parked in sun)
3. If you are stretching your engine oil beyond its service life, it can cause problems as car will come to its peak operating temp of 90-100 degree C quickly
4. Any slightest problem in cooling system will show up. For example, if your condenser fan is clogged, your AC will keep cutting off when used in afternoons
5. Lower FE because efficiency of an IC engine is directly proportional to T2-T1 (T2 is engine temp and T1 is the outside temp)

In a perfectly maintained car, no problems, except for interior and plastic fading.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2010, 13:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Modern engines are very good at handling the heat.

I have never seen the OHC needle go below or above its ideal temp point. Not even when i was ripping Wolf's VTEC on track, on a hot afternoon for 30mins straight, at MMSC.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 27th April 2010 at 13:50.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

One more point: If you have done any DIY soundproofing jobs, be sure the material used can withstand high temperatures. Materials that can ignite with harsh sun or can be set fire to through a magnifying glass should be avoided.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2010, 12:03   #9
BHPian

Wierd thing which I have observed when I park it in hot sun sometimes, is that I get a pungent smell inside the car with which I get tears in my eyes. Other than that I have not faced any issues till date.

Did anyone face this issue ? Vehicle under consideration is swift.
Old 28th April 2010, 12:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Wierd thing which I have observed when I park it in hot sun sometimes, is that I get a pungent smell inside the car with which I get tears in my eyes. Other than that I have not faced any issues till date.

Did anyone face this issue ? Vehicle under consideration is swift.
Never. Mine is an Alto, but same family, isn't it! Are there any add ons such as perfumes/seat covers/ floor mat lamination etc. which may cause this?
Old 28th April 2010, 12:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Synthetic engine oil does help in protecting engine better than it's mineral cousins,in hot weather
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2010, 13:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Never. Mine is an Alto, but same family, isn't it! Are there any add ons such as perfumes/seat covers/ floor mat lamination etc. which may cause this?
No perfumes

Llumar Sunfilm on all windows

Seat Covers : Natural Leather.

Still I am wondering, why does it happen in my car only ?
Old 28th April 2010, 13:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

I don't know whether it is the summer heat, but my car battery went kaput almost two months after I started parking the car in the hot sun. I used to park under shades of trees before that.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:14   #14
BHPian

Guys what about the Paint? My car stands in the sun as our Flat has only one covered parking for a flat. My Elantra has shown signs of paint fading on the top and near the trunk .
Old 28th April 2010, 13:24   #15
BHPian

Peak summer midday temperatures reach more than 50 degs in some places in the middle east. Most of the cars, especially the Japanese ones, have no problem at all in coping with that heat, when they are in good condition. Though some European cars, like Citroen, have been reported to have problems.

In my personal experience, the batteries don't last for more than 2 years. Don't know if its due to the heat.

Last edited by Abes : 28th April 2010 at 13:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks