Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2005, 23:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia
Seal leakages on the outside of parts with a small piece of Soap.
Very true, seen people use soap to plug in petrol tank leakages for days on end!
Old 10th May 2006, 13:42   #17
BHPian

Well applying soap and wrapping it tightly with a condom works magic on a ruptured fuel pressure pipe. I did try this on one of our trucks.

Soap also does a good job on the windshield also.

Spraying water on the radiator can get the temperature of the engine on a normal level quickly if it is overheating.
Old 10th May 2006, 13:47   #18
Team-BHP Support

Now that this thread has resurfaced again, I can't wait to see what Ram has to add to this. I'm sure he has a whole book on these sort of thing!

Over to you Ram.
Old 10th May 2006, 14:08   #19
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Adding Haldi to plug minor leaks in the radiator haldi
Did this once in my Fiat and it worked.
F50 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2006, 14:30   #20
BHPian

- throw some icy-cold water on the AC fins and it'll work wonders!
we are using it in delhi summers since quite long!
AC gives instant better cooling for good 30 minutes or so! and then repeat

- while parking under Sun, try to cover the dashboard with a thick white cotton towel to give some respite to the AC blower tunnel.
Old 10th May 2006, 15:00   #21
BHPian

for fragrance, many end up using ambi pur or some other freshners.

i use mogra or chameli ka gajras or chafa flowers to get the same in my car. the mogra smells very good and even after you have removed the gajra from the car, the smell will linger for a long time.

as far as the cost goes, i buy five rs worth mogra per day which will cast me 150 per month which is same as a ambi pur refill which also will last for a month or so.

after flowers are nature best fragrances so why not use the same in the car.

try it once.

Shubbhi
manaa45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2006, 15:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Before the days of airconditioning we used to use coir mats on the ar roof. we soaked the coir mats with water at regualr intervals. Although it is not adviasable to do so regularly once in a while you can throw a bucket of water over the carbefore you drive it if it out in the sun. It will help cool the car significantly and help the aircon do it's job faster.

If you do this regularly you can damage thepaint job on the car.
@ Navin..If its really hot day and you throw water on the car, It may cause the windscreen or any glass window to crack...I don't remember but I guess this was a case in the windscreen replacement thread of someone's driver doing the needful and cracking the glass...!
Old 10th May 2006, 16:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
@ Navin..If its really hot day and you throw water on the car, It may cause the windscreen or any glass window to crack...I don't remember but I guess this was a case in the windscreen replacement thread of someone's driver doing the needful and cracking the glass...!
Don't think the windshield will crack up just like that. Well i haven't heard anything like that happen. But maybe if there is already a crack, it'll just become bigger if the car is parked in heat/direct sunlight...water or no water
Old 10th May 2006, 20:22   #24
ECM
BHPian

I dont think one can call this a home remedy but worth apply it

Before monsoon starts,
One can see holes below the doors and these holes always choked up in most cases.Do remember to clean these holes before monsoon to prevant corrosion in lower part of all 4 doors.If holes are blocked water comming frm glass surphase will sip inside the door and will damage it very badly.
Tip no.2
I always open all 4 mud guards before the monsoon and I find lot of debries(leaves,small piece of papers etc..)there.The design of most of Maruti cars is when something falls near the front windshield it sips down and rest near the mud guards.If one can't understand see exactly below your wipers and try to see where its end is.Good luck.

Last edited by Rtech : 12th December 2007 at 15:03. Reason: Thread clean up.
ECM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2006, 00:33   #25
aZa
Senior - BHPian

If you are goin to a place where there are crowds and ppl would tend to touch and rest their rear ends on ur car, then its always better not to get ur car washed in the morning and leave it dirty and dusty except for the glasses people tend to get attracted towards shiny looking clean cars no one would actually come and touch a dusty looking car.
aZa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2006, 13:05   #26
DRC
BHPian

A few I have heard...
Best thing you can use to clean the wind shield, when there is a lotta grit is tooth paste and tooth brush

Wind shield wiper fluid is not available so easily everywhere., You can always do with water only, but you can also use regular shampoo which is cheap and easy to source, it also reduces brrr noise some times you hear while wipers are working..

if chewing gum gets on to the carpet or upholstery, place an ice cube for a while on the gum area, you can easily remove the gum. You may not find the success, if you try with out this trick and left with a stain, then you resoprt to this.

When you return to your car on a sunny day parked in sun and the cabin is like an oven, AC takes a lot of time to bring the temp back to comfortable levels, To achieve this faster,
1. roll down the window about half a feet, put on the fresh air more and blower to full, cabin will be cooler soon, then close the windows and switch to circulate mode

2. Open diagonally opposite windows to flush out hot air.

Remember, though hot, outside air is cooler than inside.

Keep a WD40 can in the car handy. It is a very helpful at times

I have a pillow which is dice shaped in my car, this serves up a lotta nick-nacks. My son can use it to sleep with out removing the seat belts, serves as a arm rest when stuck between the seats, beeing cube shaped, can be used as a support table to eat something

more when I remember
DRC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2006, 20:40   #27
DRC
BHPian

dont know if it is home remery, But I read in the news paper, tying a blue ribbon around the RVM is good for car's health it seems, as per feng-shui
Old 27th May 2006, 11:27   #28
BHPian

I have sucessfully used haldi in my fiat's radiator for Pin hole leaks a few times. The damn thing actually works.

Done the tobacco thing too- Take a ciggy, break it and then rub it all over the screen- can see right through it if the wipers are not working- which is the norm for a fiat/amby
Old 12th August 2006, 11:39   #29

[quote=sumitkalindi]Well applying soap and wrapping it tightly with a condom works magic on a ruptured fuel pressure pipe. I did try this on one of our trucks.

Guys this technique really works.....it is an old technique....the best use for condoms nowadays
Old 12th August 2006, 16:22   #30
BHPian

Car odour

Take a dried twig of vanilla, break it slightly and place it in the car's ac vent. Run the car with ac for 10-15 minutes. The vanilla will absorb all foul smell / odour from inside the car. Works great each time I am in kerela when the floor mats gets wet.

P.S - Vanilla is not exactly cheap. Try this only if you have a vanilla plantation at home

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks