Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 14:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

the Gear box is below the battery - if the battery, Relay box & the ECU is placed elsewhere, there will be some space available. will post another picture.
Old 5th May 2010, 14:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Here is one pic of engine compartment ...

There is not much space between battery and engine, there is some space behind the ecu.

Interesting thread, will keep a eye on it. btw first time i heard someone saying 1.6 is bulletproof
Old 5th May 2010, 15:47   #18
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post

There is not much space between battery and engine, there is some space behind the ecu.

Interesting thread, will keep a eye on it. btw first time i heard someone saying 1.6 is bulletproof
I didn't say that you can aim with a tank on it and get away.

It is a very good engine.

Anyway, thanks planet_rocker and rahulkool.

Would you say that the space beteween the engine and byttery is about 100mm?

Also is there some space under the battery?
Old 5th May 2010, 16:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

@ Rahul - nice and clean engine bay - lovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Also is there some space under the battery?
Under the Battery is the gear box - the clutch bleeder nozzle is also present which is accessed with some difficulty.

i dug out an old blurry picture

Modding Fiat Stile 1.6 | To do or not to do? that is the question-operate.jpg
Old 5th May 2010, 17:02   #20
CPH
BHPian

To route a induction through to the inner arch on the battery side at least 90mm space is needed. This would be the best point to pick up the air.
Old 5th May 2010, 17:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
To route a induction through to the inner arch on the battery side at least 90mm space is needed. This would be the best point to pick up the air.

@CPH, there definitely isnt 90mm of space there. i would say about 40mm at most. just enough for a hand to pass through. if you're talking of moving the intake to the battery side, i dont think that will work. have tried with all kinds of fexible pipes and none of the big enough ones (similar to the stock intake pipe) even squeeze in there.

ended up plugging a K&N extreme conical in place of the airbox
Old 5th May 2010, 17:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What will be benefits of fixing the air filter to the battery side or routing the pipe to that side ?
Old 5th May 2010, 17:55   #23
BHPian

One major advantage could be that the length of the whole intake pipe will reduce, resulting in less heat build up in the air sucked in.

Also the way the induction system's pipe is running, it definitely is reducing the speed of air sucked in, so probably the engine has to work harder in bringing in the volume of air desired for optimum combustion.

Also once the battery is moved, probably there will be space for a larger airbox for the induction system. Thereby giving more air for combustion, hence more power and torque.

CPH, please correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited by NOS Power : 5th May 2010 at 18:00.
Old 5th May 2010, 19:07   #24
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
What will be benefits of fixing the air filter to the battery side or routing the pipe to that side ?
Torque and lots of bottom end torque.
Old 5th May 2010, 19:15   #25
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
One major advantage could be that the length of the whole intake pipe will reduce, resulting in less heat build up in the air sucked in.

Also the way the induction system's pipe is running, it definitely is reducing the speed of air sucked in, so probably the engine has to work harder in bringing in the volume of air desired for optimum combustion.

Also once the battery is moved, probably there will be space for a larger airbox for the induction system. Thereby giving more air for combustion, hence more power and torque.

CPH, please correct me if i am wrong.
The longer the induction pipe the more bottom end torque you will gain, but this has got to be coupled with the right diameters, which should not be constant throughout the induction. If the induction gets extremely long peak power will never be as high (being at very high rpm) as with a short intake, but then you won't need to think in terms of high rpm as hardly any of the cars considered will be in excess of 7.5k rpm. To make it best for low end and high end the best solution would be a syequential set-up, which is very pricey.

The reason for trying to get low down under the battery is much colder air.

I have just had an induction test made, where my own design was after running for 2 minutes had 12 degrees above ambient air temperature with a hot engine on the rolling road and the K&N design was a whopping 39 degrees above ambient air temperature.

At both test the engine temperature started with the same temperature and cooling fans were blowing as usually done on the rolling road the same way.

@ Joseph - Speak to you soon on skype?
Old 5th May 2010, 19:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

^^ 1.6 engine has good bottom end torque, but top end torque is not good. You will feel is after 3rd gear, car struggles in 4th and 5th gear in higher rpm. So i think improving the high end torque is required.
Old 5th May 2010, 21:27   #27
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
^^ 1.6 engine has good bottom end torque, but top end torque is not good. You will feel is after 3rd gear, car struggles in 4th and 5th gear in higher rpm. So i think improving the high end torque is required.
This sounds to me that the car is sarved of air with increasing speed.

And I know one thing for sure:

You never can have enough bottom end torque on a normally aspirated engine.

However what I have got in mind will cater for both ends more than enough.
Old 5th May 2010, 21:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
This sounds to me that the car is sarved of air with increasing speed.

And I know one thing for sure:

You never can have enough bottom end torque on a normally aspirated engine.

However what I have got in mind will cater for both ends more than enough.
Please elaborate so we can start getting our hands dirty.
Old 6th May 2010, 00:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:

The ports on the 1.6 are pretty poor. The 1.6 will most likely not have multi angle valve cuts, which benefit the power greatly. Compression ratio can be raised to about 12:1 before the fuel creates problems. Being a 2008 I assume that a klnock sensor is attached to the engine (Don't know as we haven't got the Palio over here).

With induction and re-map we get from the equivalent engine spec in the Fait Stilo between 120 and 125bhp. Adding a fast road cam and headwork done anyting from 140 to 160bhp can be achieved.

The maximum that can be extracted from the engine is about 240bhp normally aspirated.

You have to give me more details what you want to achieve.

You state that the ports are poor. Can you elaborate on this.

Most production cars do not have multi angle valve cuts, and the Palio being a low cost car would have to be manufactured keeping production costs to a minimum. I do agree that the multi angle valve cut is a good way to make more power, and the good thing about this modification is that it will not impact reliability at all.

How would you increase the compression ratio? New pistons or shaving the head?

Yes, the Palio has a knock sensor.

Unless the car is used for race-track only, going with aggressive cams would make the car very undesirable for day to day street use. I do not disagree with you about the max 240 bhp being possible, however, at this type of horsepower level, the motor would be very unsuitable for street use. In fact it would be useless under 4k rpm, which would not be good for fuel consumption.

Problem with the Palio here in India is that just stock parts are very hard to get, especially for the 1.6 engine. An ECU re-map is unheard of, nor would any tuner (even if you found a competent one) want to work on the Palio 1.6, since they are so rare.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

The air box draws in air from inside the fender compartment - it has a L shaped pipe which goes inside the fender compartment.

But if you take look at the following pictures, you will see that even if the battery, ECU and the Relay box is relocated somewhere else, the air drawn in will be hot - since the radiator / radiator fan is located near that bay.

Also the position of the Throttle Body (TB) is such that the intake pipe will foul with the brake/clutch oil reservoir. now if you try to relocate the brake/clutch oil reservoir the brake & clutch pipes will also have to be relocated with proper bends.

This is just my view, please correct, if i am wrong.

Modding Fiat Stile 1.6 | To do or not to do? that is the question-photo0372.jpg

Modding Fiat Stile 1.6 | To do or not to do? that is the question-photo0373.jpg

Modding Fiat Stile 1.6 | To do or not to do? that is the question-photo0378.jpg

Modding Fiat Stile 1.6 | To do or not to do? that is the question-photo0379.jpg

Last edited by planet_rocker : 6th May 2010 at 10:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks