Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:56   #1
BHPian

3 week old Mahindra Xylo - Key broke in the ignition. Dealer is unresponsive!

My father-in-law bought the Xylo E8 less than a month ago and within 3 weeks (not even 1000 km) the key broke in the ignition! An obvious sign of paying a premium for pathetic build quality.

SKS Bangalore (the dealer) came and took the column and said they would repair it within 72 hrs - its been 10 days now - they have no status and are avoiding calls - the Xylo can't be used.

This has become a frustrating and a disappointing initial ownership experience.

Mahindra - please get your act together.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did you contact mahindra customer care or higher ups. I'm sure changing a ignition switch does not need 10 days!!
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

oh no. First of this I am seeiing. Ya, 10days is too much for such repairs. Did you spoke with the service manager? What was the reason given by them? No spare availability or what? Strange.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

What about the spare key.

Can you post a pic of the broken key. never seen or heard about the key breaking up.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

^^ I think they broken key is inside the ignition so you can not use the spare key.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

thats a really sad situation, and the dealer by not attending to it and updating you on that is doing equally wrong.

Please escalate this to Mahindra on their helpline.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
^^ I think they broken key is inside the ignition so you can not use the spare key.
I think so too. But is it not possible to remove the assembly and pull the key out and then use the spare key?
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:33   #8
BHPian

The delivery in charge - a Mr Mahesh who took responsibility for this has been making promises and not meeting them.

The key broke in half - the other half stayed in the ignition itself. The folks from Mahindra took it along with them. My father-in-law was not able to take any pictures.

Someone is supposed to comedown today - let's see what happens.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderluster View Post
My father-in-law bought the Xylo E8 less than a month ago and within 3 weeks (not even 1000 km) the key broke in the ignition! An obvious sign of paying a premium for pathetic build quality.

SKS Bangalore (the dealer) came and took the column and said they would repair it within 72 hrs - its been 10 days now - they have no status and are avoiding calls - the Xylo can't be used.

This has become a frustrating and a disappointing initial ownership experience.

Mahindra - please get your act together.
wanderluster, i agree with you that there is absolutely no excuse for quality, however it needs to be mentioned that many of the parts used in an automobile come under "Proprietary Parts" and are sourced from various vendors. In your case it may be either Minda or Shivani locks who may have supplied these parts.

Spike

P.S. IIRC Xylo has transponder based immobilizer inbuilt into the key so you may have to change the lock set and other paraphernalia.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 3rd May 2010 at 12:37. Reason: add info
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
P.S. IIRC Xylo has transponder based immobilizer inbuilt into the key so you may have to change the lock set and other paraphernalia.
Spikey,
I guess you just nailed the coffin.
I am sure wanderluster would be banging his head on the wall and cursing M&M.

Anyways Wanderluster,
Do not break heart.It has nothing to do with Xylo.
There are lots of service centres of other brands too which are actually a stain on the entire brand.

Once the xylo key issue is rectified take in the spirit and do not forget to drop a mail to the M&M higher ups.I have anyways tweeted this link to Anand Mahindra and he has this bad habbit of replying to each of my tweets addressed to him.Lets see what he has to say this time
Old 4th May 2010, 02:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Somebody correct me if I am wrong...

But the key broke inside the lock ... so the metal part is stuck inside the ignition key hole...

Cant that be simply extracted, and the metal part in the broken key be made using the key making machines?

Afaik, the immobilizer is housed in the plastic covered area of the key.. right?
Old 4th May 2010, 03:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

How could a metal key simply break off!!!!! What kind of metal these guys are making keys of? Cheap grainy alloys??? I have seen the keys getting twisted in holes of locks (cheap locks sold by vendors on railway station). But this is a new high....or should I say a low?
Old 4th May 2010, 12:52   #13
BHPian

Why dont you get hold of Anand Mahindra on Twitter, he takes complaints against his products seriously most of the time. Just be polite to him

anand mahindra (anandmahindra) on Twitter
Old 4th May 2010, 13:14   #14
BHPian

Changing the key does take a lot of time.
My key on Scorpio had a problem, it would not go in and out smoothly from the keyhole.
The key (talking about key, not the remote) has some sort of electronic sensor built into it.
Tehy need to be made on order and mine took close to a month. But, meanwhile, I could still use my car.
Old 5th May 2010, 10:37   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
however it needs to be mentioned that many of the parts used in an automobile come under "Proprietary Parts" and are sourced from various vendors. In your case it may be either Minda or Shivani locks who may have supplied these parts.
When I buy a Mahindra, am I paying singularly to the Mahindra dealer (and thus to Mahindra) or each vendor individually? It is the brand that is responsible for the quality of parts that are fitted onto its vehicles...no manufacturer can simply wash its hands off and blame the vendor. Today, a marque like Toyota hardly manufactures any of its vehicle components itself. Yet, Toyota remains SINGULARLY responsible to its customers, for the quality of those parts, and how they work in sync with each other.

If Mahindra indeed has a problem with its vendors, its probably best to change them and find high quality suppliers instead.

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2010 at 10:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks