Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 16:55   #1
Team-BHP Support

Dilemma: Should I change my Swift's Instrument Cluster ?

Guys, I am in a dilemma. The tachometer of my Swift VDi has started malfunctioning intermittently. Basically, it shows funny readings (like 0 when the car is on etc). Took it to a MASS where they switched it with another car and the readings were fine.

Even at 75,000 kms, they have agreed to cover this under extended warranty. The entire instrument cluster comes as a single piece and will be replaced. So what's bothering me ?

- The new cluster will have the odometer start afresh. From 0. Will this be a problem while I am selling the car ? I might sound funny, and I can't express it in words, but I feel an emotional connect with the odo reading.

I mean, the reading will no longer reflect the true mileage. I will miss capturing the magical 100,000 mark and so and so forth. Its stupid, I know.

Is there any way that the new odometer can be recalibrated to reflect the true mileage ? MASS has refused to do so.

Do you suggest going ahead and changing it ? Or shall I live with the old one ?

PS: Had it not been covered under warranty, this thread would not have existed. I would easily live with a faulty tacho rather than spend 7.5k on it.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, I am in a dilemma. The tachometer of my Swift VDi has started malfunctioning intermittently. Basically, it shows funny readings (like 0 when the car is on etc). Took it to a MASS where they switched it with another car and the readings were fine.

Even at 75,000 kms, they have agreed to cover this under extended warranty. The entire instrument cluster comes as a single piece and will be replaced. So what's bothering me ?

- The new cluster will have the odometer start afresh. From 0. Will this be a problem while I am selling the car ? I might sound funny, and I can't express it in words, but I feel an emotional connect with the odo reading.

I mean, the reading will no longer reflect the true mileage. I will miss capturing the magical 100,000 mark and so and so forth. Its stupid, I know.

Is there any way that the new odometer can be recalibrated to reflect the true mileage ? MASS has refused to do so.

Do you suggest going ahead and changing it ? Or shall I live with the old one ?

PS: Had it not been covered under warranty, this thread would not have existed. I would easily live with a faulty tacho rather than spend 7.5k on it.
A currency total of 400-450 Rs will do the job

Benefits:
a) No If-buts at the time of resale
b) mental satisfaction
c) Catch the 100,000
Old 7th May 2010, 17:09   #3
BHPian

There R quite a few shops in Mumbai who will give you whatever desired mileage that you would like on your odo. They are very secreative as to their methodology but trust me its fantastic job that they do. They charge around 2.5 - 3K and you can tell him whatever mileage U want. The odo also continues to be as normal as ever.
Am sure such services also exist in Delhi.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:21   #4
BHPian

get it changed under warranty - usually the MASS will make a note of your odo reading in your service booklet and their records when they change the odo., but the problem with reset to zero will prevail if you want it to be done as per the rules.
however there are shops in Noida where I've seen odos being clocked forward and backwards for all sort of reasons for 300 bucks.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:39   #5
BHPian

Get it changed. Make sure you retain the service bill. The mileage should be mentioned in that. That should be proof enough when you are selling the vehicle.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Ash: Anywhere in particular you know where it can be done ?

sonirohit & toiing: I know. The head is convinced, the heart is not. Hell, when I sell the car I will definitely send the buyer link to this thread

Last edited by Eddy : 7th May 2010 at 17:43.
Old 7th May 2010, 18:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Eddy, if you are going for a re-run of the odo to bring it up to speed, try to see a completed odo - one where the odo has been reset. Make sure it does not show signs of tampering.

Actually, in your case, since you need to move the odo forward, it may be easier than in case of odo's being rolled-back.

Btw, I have been through your situation. Decided to restart from 0, atleast for time being. When I go for servicing, I give the consolidated odo reading.
Old 7th May 2010, 18:46   #8
Team-BHP Support

Showing signs of tampering will not bother me, because the extended warranty is anyways going to end after 80,000 kms. I don't expect MUL to cover the same post that (even in goodwill warranty).

How would a move forward be easier compared to a move back, especially in a digital meter ? And what happened to your odo ?
Old 7th May 2010, 19:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

I can suggest a diy although there will be cheaper faster safer options available in used car market,

Remove speed sensor,clean oil on it, roll nice amount of tape over rotating part and hold it over the car ac belt at safe location. check its advance.
you can also use a electrical drill, check which direction it has to rotate to advance. if it rolls back that way will be faster.
i dont know how practical it might be though but dont expect any damage

Last edited by gigy : 7th May 2010 at 19:05.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Eddy, the meter readings can be set to anything, the MASS guys will not do it for you. I have seen digital odometers being reset, its ven easier than a analog meter. The best person to tell you this will be some cab operator in your area.

If you still cannot find a place, ill give it a try.

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th May 2010 at 19:14.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
How would a move forward be easier compared to a move back, especially in a digital meter ? And what happened to your odo ?
I was refering to the analog meters .. digital should not be that much of a problem, The reset process has to be through digital signals only.

My fuel guage went for a toss, and had to replace the entire cluster. Tata covered it under extended wty.
Old 7th May 2010, 23:13   #12
BHPian

A friend of mine had got it done (backwords in his accent). Its a 5 min job and costs Rs 500. You or for that matter no one can ever make out. He might be able to help. Let me ask. The +ves are the same as mentioned by ashthedivx and they are worth it.
Old 7th May 2010, 23:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

Take a snap of the last meter reading and keep it, change to new meter console. First time am seeing someone resisting a free warranty replacement!
Old 7th May 2010, 23:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Eddy: You mentioned that the same meter from your car worked fine in an other car? Which means , the problem is not really with the tachometer, but the one that gives the required inputs to it. And most probably your issue won't be solved even if you get a new meter!

Check for how the tacho gets the required inputs, for a Swift.

Various types are explained here.

How Do Tachometers Work? | eHow.com
Old 7th May 2010, 23:23   #15
BHPian

Rs.400-500 and half hour would buy you any reading you like on the odometer.

There is a guy in Sector 16 Noida who does it flawlessly and am sure there are more in every auto market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks