Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 11:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Elantra CRDI budging to start

Need advice from experts for a strange starting problem that happened for my Elantra CRDI. My car is 3.5 years old and has done 57 K with a clean service history in Hyundai servicing centre.

Problem description – Engine refusing to come to life, no issued with battery and battery charge, starter motor will work, engine refuses to start as if there is no fuel supply. It starts after few tries and may be just waiting for around 15 to 20 mts.

It has happened only 4 times in my usage of 3 years

Incident 1 and 2 – This happened when it was close to 1 year old and would have done around 10k.
Incident 3 and 4 – Both happened yesterday, that is why I am posting this today

Problem has occurred twice for Cold start and twice during hot starts (had stopped during drives and trying after that)

I see no pattern and the occurrence is sporadic (4 times in 3.5 years). I had shown this in Hyundai and they could not identify anything wrong with the vehicle, now I am bit skeptical about stopping at crowded places and taking it for long drives (need to drive to Kerala this w/e) but helpless since Hyundai guys are not able to suggest anything.

I am hoping the experts in our BHP family will be able to help me out on this
Old 13th May 2010, 11:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Does your vehicle come with an immobilizer?
Old 13th May 2010, 12:09   #3
BANNED

Do you hear the engine cranking when you turn the key? If so then your injectors could have been blocked occasionally due to bad quality fuel.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Do you hear the engine cranking when you turn the key? If so then your injectors could have been blocked occasionally due to bad quality fuel.
Yes, engine cranks. I too feel it is to do with the fuel supply, not sure of bad quality of fuel since I fuel from the same place most of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Does your vehicle come with an immobilizer?
I have thought of this possiblity and had removed and reinserted the key. If it is the immobilizer I understand the starter motor won't crank, please correct me if I am wrong
Old 13th May 2010, 15:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Check the fuel lines and filter and maybe a good idea to get injectors cleaned before you proceed. Otherwise your car is running fine, no smoke issue, power loss etc right?

Also double check if all the connectors, especially the ones to different sensors are clean and connected well.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check the fuel lines and filter and maybe a good idea to get injectors cleaned before you proceed. Otherwise your car is running fine, no smoke issue, power loss etc right?

Also double check if all the connectors, especially the ones to different sensors are clean and connected well.
I had taken in to Trident Hyundai yesterday, their checkup says all good.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Fuel pump or injector - that is what I feel could be the problem. As it is a sporadic issue, I don't think replacing one or the other (even from another used car) to rule them out applies....

How about error codes in the ECU? Did they hook it up and run any scan?
Old 13th May 2010, 16:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Fuel pump or injector - that is what I feel could be the problem. As it is a sporadic issue, I don't think replacing one or the other (even from another used car) to rule them out applies....

How about error codes in the ECU? Did they hook it up and run any scan?
Yes, they wired it and ran the scan and no error codes cameup (sorry, I missed mentioning this).
Old 13th May 2010, 16:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am sure cleaning the fuel tank ( you will be surprised by the amount of silt that comes out of tank ), diesel pump and injectors should resolve your problem.
Old 13th May 2010, 16:47   #10
BHPian

Gadadhar, Please make this preliminary check to ensure the is proper flow of fuel. DO you see black smoke from the exhaust, while the engine is still cranking but doesnt start. Secondly check if there is any airlock in the line. No idea about the Elantra CRDi, but I guess there should be a hand operated pump to remove trapped air in the line.
Old 13th May 2010, 17:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I am sure cleaning the fuel tank ( you will be surprised by the amount of silt that comes out of tank ), diesel pump and injectors should resolve your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Gadadhar, Please make this preliminary check to ensure the is proper flow of fuel. DO you see black smoke from the exhaust, while the engine is still cranking but doesnt start. Secondly check if there is any airlock in the line. No idea about the Elantra CRDi, but I guess there should be a hand operated pump to remove trapped air in the line.
Thanks for your suggestions, will speak to Hyundai and get these things checked.

BTW I have started thinking on key immobilizer angle again. I could understand from net that some key immobilizers cut only the fuel where as some cut down the starter and fuel, I am not able to find out which mechanism is employed in Elantra.

If it is only cutting fuel, then do you feel that can be the issue.
Old 13th May 2010, 18:36   #12
BHPian

Even from the same fuel pump, the quality differs at times. As mentioned above, clean your tank, injectors, fuel system & you are good to go. Also get a decarb done.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Thanks for all your suggestions. Special thanks to raj.barcode for calling me with his suggestions

I think I have pinned down the issue (but not fixed), as pointed out by HappyWheels it is the immobilizer. Now the issue has become more frequent and I noticed the Key icon is not glowing on the instrument panel when the engine does not start. Key icon not glowing indicates that the vehicle has not recognized the chip in the key used. I am able to start after re-inserting the key a few times till the icon glows on the panel. I am just back after a Kerala trip (got the issue many times but was lucky to get it started always) and I am planning to take the car to Hyundai showroom on the weekend.

Issue is happening with both the keys so it should got to do with the chip reading unit fitted in the key assembly. I am not sure how much it is going to cost (sure that Hyundai will suggest a replacement and not any repair) and my car is out of warranty period.

It will be of great help if you can suggest any mechanics in Bangalore who are experts in Key immobilizers.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:33   #14
BHPian

Good to know the issue is isolated, however check the below as well.

Fuel Pump, fule filter or Fuel lines.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 19th May 2010 at 12:34.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:53   #15
BHPian

great to know your issue is resolved Bobby!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks