Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:47   #1
BHPian

ORVM cap has fallen off from my 1 week old Chevy Spark

Hi,

I recently(1 week back) got the delivery of my first car, Chevy Spark LS. I was all zapped up and had plans of starting a new ownership report today.

So, this morning i was taking my car out of the garage to a near by ground where i could click a few pics. Just then i saw this and was totally upset. The cap of the left side orvm has fallen off. I have no idea whatsoever as to how,when or where this has happened.

Now how am i supposed to go about this ? Can i claim this under warranty or will i have to buy it from the dealer?

Thank you

regards,
karthik
Attached Thumbnails
ORVM cap has fallen off from my 1 week old Chevy Spark-cap.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2010, 11:00   #2
BHPian

Karthik,

The OVRM caps have a plastic lock mechanism as it is very unlikely that they might have fallen off on their own.

I strongly feel that when you had parked outside during any of your shopping visits or during any of the signal halts, some vehicle(most probably a biker) might have grazed it breaking the plastic locks in that process.

I guess you can go back to the dealer and he would give you a replacement(I am not sure whether you get a ovrm cap seperately for spark) as a goodwill gesture.

Else go to shivaji nagar and get a replacement for < 50 rupees.
Old 24th May 2010, 19:48   #3
BHPian

It could also be a theft attempt since the thief might have taken it to be electric & then backed off when he saw the springs or it could be plain mischief.

Don't spend money on this, most probably the dealer may be having it and he WILL put it for free, or you can e-mail GM.
Old 24th May 2010, 20:26   #4
BHPian

While reversing the car from the verandah, my dad hit the ORVM with the gate and the same cap came off. The dealer charged Rs. 80 for a replacement.

So even if you don't get a free replacement, you won't have to spend much.
Old 24th May 2010, 20:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Don't spend money on this, most probably the dealer may be having it and he WILL put it for free, or you can e-mail GM.
I understand the frustration but don't see any need to write an email to GM.

@karthik, just visit GM dealer and get a new cap fixed paying 80 bucks as mentioned by others.
Old 24th May 2010, 21:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I understand the frustration but don't see any need to write an email to GM.

@karthik, just visit GM dealer and get a new cap fixed paying 80 bucks as mentioned by others.

Things like these will be handled by the dealer only. Don't fret, go to the dealer and get a new one installed.
Old 24th May 2010, 22:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post

Things like these will be handled by the dealer only. Don't fret, go to the dealer and get a new one installed.

E-mail only if dealer refuses to budge. Parts falling off in a week & user paying for it is beyond me. If it was a month old then it is ok, but in your case I urge you to insist on free replacement. Most of them dealers have these 'fast falling' parts in stock well in advance.

Rest, after all, is your choice.
Old 24th May 2010, 23:18   #8
BHPian

Thanks a lot for reply guys. I did speak to the dealer on phone as i was too busy to meet them in person. He said he ll get it fixed. However, he never mentioned about its cost. As advised now i ll try to push them to get it replaced free of cost.

@ anku94 : Are you talking about spark as well ??
Old 25th May 2010, 02:30   #9
BHPian

Yeah. The very same. Check my signature.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:13   #10
BHPian

Guys, i did ask them to fix it up for free as the car is just about a week old but they are not obliging. I am being asked to shell out 90 bucks for the cap
Old 25th May 2010, 12:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Guys, i did ask them to fix it up for free as the car is just about a week old but they are not obliging. I am being asked to shell out 90 bucks for the cap
If possible, ask them how this could have happened. If there are no scratches or any physical damage then let them come up with an answer on how it may have happened.

My personal opinion, just pay, get the car ready and enjoy the drive.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well I guess these come off pretty easily. I had the LHS OVRM cap come off without realization and I was made to pay Rs80 for it. No way is it covered under warranty or the cashless ownership.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

It is a very small and minor issue. Just take it to the dealer and ask him what to do.

Wont cost a penny at all. So let it be, enjoy your car.

Best
Old 25th May 2010, 12:38   #14
BHPian

Can i get it fixed from any near by chevy dealer or will i have to go the same place from where i bought the car. I am put up pretty far from my dealer and don't have the time to visit them as of now. Cant leave the mirror in this state for too long either.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
If possible, ask them how this could have happened. If there are no scratches or any physical damage then let them come up with an answer on how it may have happened.
These caps are not well fitted. I guess it wont be too long before the rhs mirror loses its cap as well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks