Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 13:09   #46
BHPian

Well, except for the cost of the oil which has been borne, there is no actual mechanical problem mentioned here. It's been 8 years. So on what basis has the need for a court case to be filed now is yet obscure.
Old 9th June 2017, 23:02   #47
BHPian

Re: Excessive engine oil consumption in the VAG TSI engines

If you win a case, then the court will usually award you damages. But in this case there doesn't seem to be any major loss on your part, either financial or any quantifiable opportunity loss or distress. I don't think it would be worth the effort on your part to go though the legal process.

My personal opinion is that there is nothing faulty with the 1.8 tsi consuming 1 litre of oil every few thousand kms. Also it's dictated by your driving style as well.

Having said that, Skoda has really poor service staff and I have some horrible stories of my own.
Old 10th June 2017, 00:39   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Sorry but so much for german engineering! It is incredible to me that in 21st century, a company is claiming that it will lose 1litre of oil per 1000 km in its own manual and people consider this as normal.
g.

The 1 litre of oil per 1000 km has been a firm rule of thumb for just about all car engines for the last couple of decades. You will find it mentioned in many owner manuals of many different brands across the globe.

All engines use some oil, these days modern engines use very little. But due to a variety of reasons they can start using a bit more. The 1l/1000km basically says that, unless your engine starts using more, there is really no need for concern and no need to investigate and or repair.

Just check regularly oil level (which you should do anyway) and add a bit of oil now and then.

You might even find that once the oil level drops to a certain level it will remain at this lower level. Again, as long is this above the minimum level on the dip stick nothing to worry about.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 09:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Legal Suit against Skoda India for Faulty Engine in Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI

There are too many discrepancies in the initial information provided by you and going by the second update the discrepancies are even more.

Here are just a few of them:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbotechnixx View Post
Each time the vehicle was sent to them while the vehicle was under warranty, they sent the car back saying that 1 litre oil has been topped up and it is normal for such heavy oil consumption in TSI engines.
Why did you send the vehicle to them under warranty? How many kilometres were covered between the top ups? If it was more than 1000 kms it is normal.
Quote:
I kept on arguing that since such frequent oil topups do not have a mention in the manual book..
Please read the manual again - it clearly mentions about initial oil consumption being high and thereafter in the region of 1l/1000km
Quote:
On going thru the records I had, I also found out that just between the 1st and the 2nd service, I had sent the vehicle twice for oil topups. Which means, 6 litres of OIL in just 5 months.
Don't get the math here. You have said they put 1 litre every time you sent it in. So if you sent it twice it would be 2 litres. Also if your first and second service was within 6 months you were covering 15000 kms in 6 months. That's a lot of running and in the case of the 1.8 TSI would mean a lot of oil to be topped up.
Quote:
...made me replace certain parts saying that those part were damaged
What parts were these and were they replaced under warranty? If not, what was the reason for refusal? If yes, what is the point you are making here?

I don't think you are anywhere close to successfully winning a legal suit with the facts that you have mentioned above.

Remember legal suits of this nature could last a really long time (some have dragged on to 8 years and more) and Skoda's legal team can easily pick holes in your arguments given the facts you have stated.

I would suggest you try your best to resolve this at the manufacturer level given the specific conditions of your case.

Unless you have a really water tight case don't even attempt the legal route as your current state of anger could slowly turn to frustration and then to regret when things don't work in your favour.

Last edited by AMG Power : 10th June 2017 at 09:23.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 09:44   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

So let me try to setup the situation here.
For a vehicle that is well out of range of any warranty clauses, for a brand with a (well-known) list of highly non-reliant dealer base, you are trying to initiate a court case for a seemingly non-existent problem.

Your first post said this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbotechnixx
it clearly means that the engine is marred with poor workmanship, design flaw and inferior performance.
On what basis are you making that conclusion? If the above was true, you had a lemon and would not have been able to run the car for 8 months, forget 8 years!

The only 'issue' you have are the multiple oil top-ups you have experienced for a vehicle that is globally known for the need for regular top-ups.
Honestly, I see no case here for to be considered; leave aside the chances of winning something the court. Unless there is some other engine problem that you haven't shared with us.

Plus the fact that you have missed servicing schedules gives them a wide berth to throw out any case you have. An oil top-up doesn't equate to a servicing; irrespective of the mileage of the car; especially for one that has only one servicing required every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
There are too many discrepancies in the initial information provided by you and going by the second update the discrepancies are even more.

Remember legal suits of this nature could last a really long time (some have dragged on to 8 years and more) and Skoda's legal team can easily pick holes in your arguments given the facts you have stated.
+1 to this!

Quote:
- Close to about 8 years old

- 5 services out of 7.

- 3rd Service and the 7th Service..that is because mileage was less and oil was topped up just a month before the actual service due. I had asked the advisor about it and he said chalega service nahi kiya to.
Are you facing some new problem (part failing, etc) in the 8th year of ownership for which you are pushing the case to get Skoda to resolve it free-of-cost; using the history of top-ups as a base?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th June 2017 at 09:52.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 15:22   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

There are roughly speaking three main reasons for oil consumption. The most obvious is the engine just leaking out. This tends to be very visible as you will see oil and dirt underneath the car/engine. Second is problems with the the piston rings. The bottom ring is supposed to scrape the oil down into the sump. That could be a problem, or even worse, several piston rings have issues. Which means the oil is able to get on top of the piston where it will get burned. You might see a loss of engine power due to poor compression. The only way to verify is to have a proper compression test done on each cylinder. The remedy is to replace the piston rings which is always a very big job.

The third reason could be related to the seals around the (exhaust) valve stems. If they become poorly oils gets drawn into the cylinder where it gets burned. Tell tales are black smoke from the exhaust if you come of the throttle.

The remedy is to change the seals. Some cars/engines are very prone to this problem. (E.g. Alfa Romeo). Depends on the type of engine, but on most you can replace the seals insitu.

Using an oil with incorrect specifications could be a possible fourth reason.

So, when an engine has a high oil consumption this is what to do:
- ensure the oil is compliant with your car manufacturer specification
- check for visible leaks
- check color of exhaust gas on and of the throttle
- compression test

There could be other reasons but the above covers most cases I think.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 17:16   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I have the 1.8 TSi Laura (CKD date: 31 AUG 2009, Sale: Feb 2010) so mine is one of very first lot. She has done 51000km so far and oil consumption has been stable throughout the 7 years. I had kept a very diligent log of all oil top-ups but lost some of the entries when I had to format my phone some time back. But, it's been roughly 1L/7000km or so. I know because all the top-ups have been done by me (I always keep 1L can in the car and keep checking the level once a month and top-up if required, I don't wait for low oil level warning light to glow).

I will watch this thread keenly, however, I see, some important technical details of this case are not posted yet (how much oil was exactly topped up every time, how many kms done between 2 top-ups, etc.)

Hope the root cause is ascertained accurately and the case is resolved amicably.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 12th June 2017 at 17:19.
Old 12th June 2017, 17:46   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The 1 litre of oil per 1000 km has been a firm rule of thumb for just about all car engines for the last couple of decades. You will find it mentioned in many owner manuals of many different brands across the globe.
I didn't realize that up to 1 L of oil was considered acceptable so did a google search, and boy are you right. The link below shows how consumer reports frowns on the practice of top-ups. Interestingly 2 of the German big 3 are among the biggest culprits.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...tion/index.htm
Old 12th June 2017, 20:40   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I didn't realize that up to 1 L of oil was considered acceptable so did a google search, and boy are you right. The link below shows how consumer reports frowns on the practice of top-ups. Interestingly 2 of the German big 3 are among the biggest culprits.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...tion/index.htm
My two cents (#noobAlert); ever wondered why is excessive motor oil / engine oil usage frowned upon?

If I try to simplify it, we are talking about two different extracts of crude oil - petrol/diesel and the engine oil; and we don't frown upon excessive usage on the fuel part. It's just the cost per liter that affects us; while a liter of the fuel comes at 60 - 65 bucks, the same for motor oil is ~20 times higher.

But from a consumption perspective its just the setup of the engine motor using different combinations of both liquids. Except for the monetary hit; it shouldn't really matter if our European cars use a lot more engine oil than a normal Jap car.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th June 2017 at 20:47.
Old 12th June 2017, 21:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
But from a consumption perspective its just the setup of the engine motor using different combinations of both liquids. Except for the monetary hit; it shouldn't really matter if our European cars use a lot more engine oil than a normal Jap car.
I for one would be very uncomfortable if I knew it was normal for my car to consume oil.

Lets consider a scenario where a car consumes say 1/2 L of oil for every 1000 km (within the 1L per 1000 km). So an average usage of say 1000 km/month would work out to 6L of top up, which end's up being a complete oil change and some on most typical cars (it's almost 2 oil changes on my T-Jet). So, except for changing your oil filter you really wouldn't need to change the engine oil..it's self flushing.

The more relevant question is it then becomes the owners responsibility to keep track of the oil level by either checking the dipstick regularly, or wait for the oil pressure light to come on and then panic and then take the car to the SC. I don't want to sound rude, but today's aam junta wouldn't know where to look for a dipstick so that rules out option-1. That leaves option-2, which i'm betting isn't good for the engine in the long run.

To me it would be more of a mental hit than a monetary hit.

Cheers.
Old 12th June 2017, 22:01   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

My Corolla Altis manual also specifies oil consumption up to 1L/1000 km is considered 'normal'. Of course the car doesn't consume anywhere near that.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 23:11   #57
BHPian

This thread is going nowhere. Has turned out to be really an "Oily" experiences thread 😉 . Do we have any mechanical engineer member around? A real one? As for the guy who started this, that story is so oily, the other members are busy trying to wipe of the extra oil so as to see what's this all about really. Whew. Cotton-waste, anyone?
Old 13th June 2017, 09:59   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
This thread is going nowhere. Has turned out to be really an "Oily" experiences thread 😉 . Do we have any mechanical engineer member around? A real one? As for the guy who started this, that story is so oily, the other members are busy trying to wipe of the extra oil so as to see what's this all about really. Whew. Cotton-waste, anyone?
How old is your TSi and what's the oil consumption?
Old 13th June 2017, 11:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
How old is your TSi and what's the oil consumption?
I have an i-vtec and the oil consumption is nowhere what people are quoting here. In my case it's negligible. Neither have any of my Skoda weilding buddies ever mentioned this phenomena. Why do you ask?
Old 13th June 2017, 12:17   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I have an i-vtec and the oil consumption is nowhere what people are quoting here. In my case it's negligible. Neither have any of my Skoda weilding buddies ever mentioned this phenomena. Why do you ask?
So I guessed it right - you don't own a turbocharged GDI.

Anyway, I will be watching this thread for updates/inputs from the thread owner and other fellow TSi owners. For "hearsay" info, there is always google.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks