Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2017, 12:41   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
For "hearsay" info, there is always google.
Are you trying to suggest that I'm quoting "hearsay" stuff? I'm not sure if you meant that but it might help to know that I'm part of a garage(partner/supervisor/advisor) and we lay our hands on more cars per day than any owner/on-paper engineer of any type. None of the clients reported 1liter per 1000 km yet. Maybe coincidence?

Last edited by pixantz : 13th June 2017 at 12:49.
Old 13th June 2017, 12:54   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Excessive engine oil consumption in the VAG TSI engines

A discussion that may be useful in this particular case:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4201565
Old 13th June 2017, 18:45   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Neither have any of my Skoda weilding buddies ever mentioned this phenomena.
There are multiple Skoda wielding people here - and countless over various global forums - who have this oil consumption issue/problem/phenomena. So this for sure is real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I'm part of a garage(partner/supervisor/advisor) and we lay our hands on more cars per day than any owner/on-paper engineer of any type. None of the clients reported 1liter per 1000 km yet. Maybe coincidence?
You know yourself that that statement of you laying your hands on more cars per day than ANY owner of ANY type simply cant be true. And even if for a moment we believe it to be true - that alone still doesnt make you right.

That figure of 1L/1000 km is something that is in various VAG manuals. To the best of my knowledge no one in this 'oily' thread - including the OP wishing to pursue a case - has mentioned that their cars consume that much oil.

Maybe you can put your knowledge of running a garage to good use and diagnose why these engines have this issue in the first place and what can owners do about this?
Cesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 23:47   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post

that alone still doesnt make you right.

the OP wishing to pursue a case -

Maybe you can put your knowledge of running a garage to good use and diagnose why these engines have this issue in the first place and what can owners do about this?
Firstly, buddy, it's not about ME being right. Maybe a lot of people have oil guzzling rides. 90% of them don't go to a FNG to fill it. They keep a can in the boot. The rest of them maybe, go to the ASS and get trolled by some silly explanation/excuse/remedy. I never said the cars don't eat up oil. Your missing the point here. Please read the first post again. And then I'm waiting to hear from YOU what IS it that's right.

Secondly, the "case" that the OP is pursuing or wishing to pursue, do you think it will hold water? Seriously? And WHAT IS the "case"? In court? Can you spell out a hard line on the heading of the case? I don't see one. Would you sue from all the info you have so far? I'd like to hear how. Why, the person did not even mention something like 'performance issues' or black smoke or any such.

Thirdly, it's not my job to diagnose why these engines have this issue in the first place and what can owners do about this. That's the job of the guys who made it, in the first place. We're all discussing about the so-called issue. It's not about right or wrong. We're getting off the subject. Need some more focus.....
Old 27th February 2019, 11:36   #65
BHPian

I found this link with some suggestions on why the EA888 engines have excessive oil consumption.

The culprit seems to be the piston and piston ring design on the Gen2 EA888 engines.

http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=118

It also has a problem with slack in the timing chain that can result in serious damage.

It says replacing pistons and piston rings with the gen1 versions can solve the problem. Any thoughts/experience?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2019 at 09:26. Reason: Editing for spacing
srgntpepper is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 10:26   #66
BHPian

My 2011 pre-worshipped Laura TSI had consumed about 2.5-3 litres of oil for 3000 km of usage. The vehicle clocked 43K. She has a clean service history & I have recently got the timing chain tensioner, water pump, oil cooler replaced as well.

Though oil consumption at this rate is hard to digest,

1) Can something be done to sort this out?

2) Is topping her up regularly the only solution?

3) I plan to go Stage 2. Is there a possibility of the oil consumption worsening post upgrades?

Thank you
Old 18th November 2019, 10:45   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
My 2011 pre-worshipped Laura TSI had consumed about 2.5-3 litres of oil for 3000 km of usage. The vehicle clocked 43K. She has a clean service history & I have recently got the timing chain tensioner, water pump, oil cooler replaced as well.

Though oil consumption at this rate is hard to digest,

1) Can something be done to sort this out?

2) Is topping her up regularly the only solution?

3) I plan to go Stage 2. Is there a possibility of the oil consumption worsening post upgrades?

Thank you
1. I think you need to narrow down the cause first. What is it that's causing it to consume so much oil? Primary culprit considering it is a TSI have to be the piston rings. Get the compression checked for each cylinder. Also get engine ancillaries such as the turbo examined. Basically, every part which has oil flowing through it should be checked. If you haven't done an oil flush before, I think it would be a good time to do it and pour in fresh new oil and then monitor the levels again. This is the easiest measure you can take to see if the problem resolves itself.

2. No. Please get the issue resolved. Such high oil consumption and that too in a consistent manner doesn't sound normal at all, even if VAG itself says so. Topping it up again and again is a hassle apart from economical reasons.

3. Don't go in for any mods. You will only put more strain on the engine. A remap will only lead to worsening of the issue. Get the oil consumption issue sorted completely and only then go for further mods.

If you aren't facing symptoms such as blue smoke through the exhaust that might indicate the engine burning oil through the Pistons, I suspect the PCV valve which might have become clogged.

Last edited by vishy76 : 18th November 2019 at 10:51.
Old 18th December 2021, 13:12   #68
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

2010 Skoda Superb 1.8TSI, now at 84000 kms.

Consuming 2L oil per 1000 kms.

Passes PUC with flying colours.

Is driven in D mode 99% of the time.

Preowned so prior 75,000 kms usage is unknown.

No Blue / White Smoke. Engine guard underbody cover does have some oil. But that does not explain the massive qttys. consumed. K&N intake and filter installed.

Cost of oil is about 10% plus the cost of fuel at current rate.

95 Octane fuel causes reduction in issue.

Tried various additives from STP 66079US, STP Smoke treatment, Mannol 9943 Life Extender, Bars Engine Leak Repair 1000, Bars Engine Total Repair 3000, Liqui Moly Stop Oil, Liqui Moly LMOL

Oils tried:
Mobile 1 FS X2 5w40 API SN Advanced
Mobile Super 3000 Formula 1 5w40

No Error codes. Bit of leakage from timing belt cover and Tappet cover is observed. Oil Sump Oil Drain plug was leaking and is replaced.

Yes Piston Rings.
Any solution without opening up the Engine? It runs smooth and has power.

Should I try 10W 40 Semi Synthetic or Mineral oil? Anyways entire oil is getting changed right now in say just every 4000. kms.

Can mineral oil prove better considering age of engine.

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40?
Castrol Magnatec Professional SUV 5w40?
Shell HX7 10w40? Semi synthetic?

Last edited by ACM : 18th December 2021 at 13:16.
Old 18th December 2021, 14:05   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
2010 Skoda Superb 1.8TSI, now at 84000 kms.

Consuming 2L oil per 1000 kms.

Passes PUC with flying colours.

Is driven in D mode 99% of the time.

Preowned so prior 75,000 kms usage is unknown.

No Blue / White Smoke. Engine guard underbody cover does have some oil. But that does not explain the massive qttys. consumed. K&N intake and filter installed.

Cost of oil is about 10% plus the cost of fuel at current rate.

95 Octane fuel causes reduction in issue.

Tried various additives from STP 66079US, STP Smoke treatment, Mannol 9943 Life Extender, Bars Engine Leak Repair 1000, Bars Engine Total Repair 3000, Liqui Moly Stop Oil, Liqui Moly LMOL

Oils tried:
Mobile 1 FS X2 5w40 API SN Advanced
Mobile Super 3000 Formula 1 5w40

No Error codes. Bit of leakage from timing belt cover and Tappet cover is observed. Oil Sump Oil Drain plug was leaking and is replaced.

Yes Piston Rings.
Any solution without opening up the Engine? It runs smooth and has power.

Should I try 10W 40 Semi Synthetic or Mineral oil? Anyways entire oil is getting changed right now in say just every 4000. kms.

Can mineral oil prove better considering age of engine.

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40?
Castrol Magnatec Professional SUV 5w40?
Shell HX7 10w40? Semi synthetic?
The issue seems to be the piston rings only though I would suggest checking the PCV system as well once. It might also be contributing to the issue.

Secondly, please do not resort to using a heavier weight oil or worse mineral oil. Your piston rings are not the only thing which use oil. There's also the turbo and parts like the variable valve timing system along with the timing chain. Using thicker oil can cause issues to crop up wrt these systems.

The VVT system has minute holes through which oil is supposed to circulate. Thicker oil might not flow as well and cause rattles or misfires. The same goes for the turbo. It might not recieve the required lubrication from a much thicker grade of oil.

The only thing you can do is keep using the car till the consumption gets worse or compression drops to unusable levels. A complete engine overhaul will be the only way out then.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed