Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 13:59   #1
BANNED

Strange Sound while switching The Car A/C

Hi,

I am getting a strange sound while switching the car A/C on. Its like a puff or a hiss sound but loud, when the car A/C is switched on. The car is Maruti Ritz ZXI 2009, November built.

As per MASS technician, this sound comes in every car when the A/C is switched on after 1 day or so. But I get this everytime I switch the A/C on.

Has some one else experienced this in their cars ? Is this normal /

Any and all advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 4th June 2010, 14:05   #2
BHPian

Hey,

Even i am getting the same hissing sound. Though my wagon r has done 32k.
I think the problem might be something related to gas leak.

Ill get it checked with MASS.

Thanks
Old 4th June 2010, 14:12   #3
BHPian

Have you tried looking inside bonnet, it can sound from Relay,
once you turn on the A.C. the relay clicks which then starts the compressor.

if you visited M.A.S.S. Have you checked it on other Ritz ?
Old 4th June 2010, 14:13   #4
BHPian

I feel this is normal. Happens in my Swift as well. I feel it has nothing to do with after what duration you switch it on.
Old 4th June 2010, 14:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have this loud sound in my A-Star everyday i turn on the AC for the first time. In my car the sound is a bit metallic and loud, but with the windows rolled up it does sound like a Hiss sometimes.

There is nothing to worry about i guess. But i wonder why the older cars doesn't have this.
Old 4th June 2010, 14:46   #6
BHPian

I have this same sound in my Indica V2 too. At first i was so confused if it was from the speakers in the door, but later traced it to the AC vents. I especially hear a distinct hissing sound from my left AC vent when the blower is in full speed and reduces gradually when the speed setting is reduced.
I was told that this could be something stuck in the AC duct which could cause the whistling/AC sound. I learned to live with it now. (Noticed it in another Indica running as taxi too.)
Old 4th June 2010, 14:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

I was told by M.A.S.S that the hissing sound from the AC is a sign of low gas. I noticed this sound after the car had done 35K kms. The AC was serviced and there has been so sign of the sound since then. This is on an M800. I don't think the hiss is 'normal'. There is no such sound in my Fiesta.
Old 4th June 2010, 15:17   #8
BANNED

I also feel this is not normal. The sound is loud and looks like gas going into something when we switch on the AC. My friend has Ritz VXI and have not heard any such sound in his car. My car has done about 1400 kms.

Looking forward to take to Maruti sales and service, a company owned service station @ Naraina, Delhi.
Old 4th June 2010, 20:39   #9
BHPian

Mine is a Ritz Feb 2010 done around 2K and I also get this sound from my car when I switch the AC on. Atleast to me it looks normal.
Old 11th June 2010, 18:53   #10
BHPian

Hissing is the sound gas makes when there is a void & it passes through it. Don't worry unless you experience significant cooling loss. Gas is low but not so as to warrant a top up.

Get condensor coils in the front cleaned with medium pressurized water(as high pressure will deform the fins) every season to ensure good cooling performance.

Last edited by JustCause : 11th June 2010 at 18:56.
Old 11th June 2010, 21:33   #11
BHPian

I hear a clanging sound & a hiss when i start up my Swift (2006 model, done 44K kms)

Have never touched the AC for any issues. Have no problems with the cooling either.

I dont hear this sound with my other cars !
Old 11th June 2010, 22:32   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by del.guy22 View Post
I also feel this is not normal. The sound is loud and looks like gas going into something when we switch on the AC. My friend has Ritz VXI and have not heard any such sound in his car. My car has done about 1400 kms.

Looking forward to take to Maruti sales and service, a company owned service station @ Naraina, Delhi.
You may get the system examined,but I feel there's nothing abnormal
Old 16th June 2010, 21:14   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Hissing is the sound gas makes when there is a void & it passes through it. Don't worry unless you experience significant cooling loss. Gas is low but not so as to warrant a top up.

Get condensor coils in the front cleaned with medium pressurized water(as high pressure will deform the fins) every season to ensure good cooling performance.

The car is just 6 months old, Are you sure the gas could be less ? If I need to get it filled, who pays for it ? I don't think the gas should be less in 6 months and the A/C has been used really less.
Old 16th June 2010, 22:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by del.guy22 View Post
The car is just 6 months old, Are you sure the gas could be less ? If I need to get it filled, who pays for it ? I don't think the gas should be less in 6 months and the A/C has been used really less.
My car too made hissing noise this summer, when it was just 9 months old.It is just like an air bubble forms in a water tube, it is no cause for worry. My cooling is the same as it was last season & if yours is too, no need for a refill.
Do get condensor coils cleaned every season.

Last edited by JustCause : 16th June 2010 at 22:09.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:23   #15
BANNED

I get this sound everytime I start the AC. If its an air bubble,shouln't this go after couple of uses ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks