Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 20:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

In my experience, I had to change my break disc due to a grinding, ABS Like sound and feel on pedal during excessive usage, like in ghats.

I thought the sound is due to break pad wear and was surprised to see that it was due to break disc wear. In normal circumstances the break disc's are extremely durable and don't wear off easily, only when you ride with worn pad's the disc's get damaged.

In my case, however, it was due to aftermarket break pad's (TVS- LUCAS). The pad compound was too hard, that the pad wont wear off and instead the break disc started wearing off. However, I have now changed both my pad's and disc's to OE Ford ones. Never take risks with your stopping power!.
Old 29th July 2010, 10:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

OK Thanks! Visually the brake discs look fine. I mean they are clean and shiny and my earlier pads had not completely worn out so no metal parts were grinding against the discs. However is there any guideline as to when the discs should be changed after say XXXXX kms or so?
Old 30th July 2010, 14:33   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

As far as I know, there is no specific kms for which the break discs need to be replaced. Just replace them if they are worn out or show any symptoms of wear.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:05   #19
Adrenalin

I own Ford Ikon Flair, 5.7 yrs old, 57K on ODO. Since last 2 days, i am observing some "Chiirrrrr... Chirrr..." sound coming from the hood(am sure not from dashboard, not a squeaky sound) in the morning when i start the engine for the firs time. Gradually, the sound diminishes as the engine warms up. Am not able to figure out what could be the reason.

BTW, there were heavy rains last 2-3 days in Bangalore. Drove the vehicle in that rainy condition too. Has it caused something in the hood? Its been more than 5 months that i have given for servicing.

Any suggestions?

Old 2nd August 2010, 03:29   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalin View Post
I own Ford Ikon Flair, 5.7 yrs old, 57K on ODO. Since last 2 days, i am observing some "Chiirrrrr... Chirrr..." sound coming from the hood(am sure not from dashboard, not a squeaky sound) in the morning when i start the engine for the firs time. Gradually, the sound diminishes as the engine warms up. Am not able to figure out what could be the reason.

BTW, there were heavy rains last 2-3 days in Bangalore. Drove the vehicle in that rainy condition too. Has it caused something in the hood? Its been more than 5 months that i have given for servicing.

Any suggestions?
Monsoon's do cause drives and belts to loose their 'traction' and the sound could be of it slipping. Please check if all the belts are fine.
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Sparkled, can you put up the detailed cost of the spares and labour. How much kms are there on the Odo??
Sorry for the delay of this post.
ODO reading was about 55-57K.
The following were charged to me for my suspension work and brake work:

front shocks : 1692 x 2
Tie rod : 1023
Brake pads: 1502
Front mounting assembly: 796
rod assembly spindle connection: 551
Wheel assembly remove and install: 292
Disc pads remove and install: 227
drums rear brake remove and install: 682
Track rod end remove and install: 455
Suspension unit assembly - front remove and install: 715
Tie rod end replace: 450
Instrument cluster assembly and remove: 200

Other work including 50k service:
consumable (this includes the 50k service work also done) 450
Oil filter: 85
Air filter: 278
cluster Bezel foam: 107
Engine oil: 900
50k service: 812

Labor total: 4127
Parts total: 8628
taxes: almost 1500
Discount 900

Thats about it.
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:00   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you SPARKled for the detailed cost split up. By the way, could you explain the 900/- discount??.. Do A.S.S really offer any discounts on service bills?.
Old 24th October 2010, 09:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Thank you SPARKled for the detailed cost split up. By the way, could you explain the 900/- discount??.. Do A.S.S really offer any discounts on service bills?.

I have always asked for discount on labour and always got at least some every time everywhere. Its not unreasonable to ask for it especially when you are going to pay such a big amount. Also I believe labour cost is always negotiable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks