Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:15   #1
BANNED

How to make a 2WD more capable in offroad conditions?

Hi Everyone,
Apart from the lucky lot of people who own 4WD vehicles, there is a greater share of people who own 2WD SUVs and yet would want to take them to as many places as possible on a 2WD.

The question though, is, what are the modifications possible and advisable on a 2WD to make it as capable as possible, or in other words, get it as close as possible to a 4WD?? Differential lockers is one such thing that comes to my mind.

I have seen the ARB and the Richmond locker sites and they seem doable.

Any other things apart from them??

Let the ideas flow....
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Fiat made Fiat Adventure "locker". Below 20kmph you could lock the front diff.
Thats the best way. LSD will help somewhat, but for real offroad capability, you need a locker. Ideally, a manual locker is best. On the tough sections engage it, and on the road, disengage it.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:02   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Any other suggestions folks? To make a 2WD Scop more capable?? Manual lockers maybe?? Names?Brands? Contacts?
N.Devnath, forget about making a 4x2 as capable as a 4x4. It's impossible.

What you can do, however, is make it a li'l bit more capable in low traction conditions. The best investment you'll make is a set of tyres. While the Mudzillas will be too hard core for a road-going Scorpio, just wanted to share a picture of this 4x2 Jeep. Believe me, what it managed with the Mudzillas in slush left me amazed.

How to make a 2WD more capable in offroad conditions?-dsc03318.jpg

Two things that come to mind:

1. Get yourself a set of Michelin or BFG all terrains

2. Rear limited slip diff
Old 24th June 2010, 15:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would check the differences in the Scorpio's and Safari's rear axle. The Safari 4WD comes with LSD as standard. So check if it is possible to swap with Safari's LSD rear axle. But if you can find lockers for your OEM Dana 44, then nothing like it.

But like GTO mentioned, the best setup would be the LSD and all-terrain tyres.

Drifter
Old 20th September 2016, 12:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

How to make Innova more capable off road?

We all know why Innova endears to both the taxi market and the private buyer. It is a great mix of reliability, durability, comfort and space. Increasingly, I now find myself being more adventurous with it to fulfill the urge to explore the not so beaten tracks.

This has resulted in the vehicle taking a good amount of underbody hits when driven off road. On some occasions, I have encountered slush that had the vehicle sliding almost on will (thankfully it was a wide open farm area). And sometimes the path wasn't very challenging, but I doubted if the van could do it without major hiccups, so had to turn back.

Are there any solutions to make the Innova a little more capable when encountering such conditions? Specifically - increase its ground clearance and provide more power?

I bought a used Fortuner as a replacement for Innova for such use, but had to sell it as it seemed a lot of capital just squatting on 4 wheels. My family never took to it. All travels are with family (4/5 adults and a kid) and we always default to Innova. So this much is clear the one big car in the garage will always be Innova and I need to find a way of making it more capable.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 13:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to make Innova more capable off road?

The only way to increase ground clearance is by bigger tyres but i wouldn't suggest that.

For increase in power, look at remapping options.

I'd suggest, invest in some recovery aids like traction devices (maxtrax or traction jack) to help you when you are stuck.

Best is to buy a jeep (MMs) or gypsy or thar for your adventurous streak.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 13:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Will this work, if it's available for the Innova?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...off-shelf.html

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 14:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

Also, refer to the thread on LSD. This may also give you some useful pointers.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 14:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
This has resulted in the vehicle taking a good amount of underbody hits when driven off road. On some occasions, I have encountered slush that had the vehicle sliding almost on will (thankfully it was a wide open farm area). And sometimes the path wasn't very challenging, but I doubted if the van could do it without major hiccups, so had to turn back.

Are there any solutions to make the Innova a little more capable when encountering such conditions? Specifically - increase its ground clearance and provide more power?
Hmmm, you want to make the Van go offroading now and that too by giving a pass to the Fortuner.

There is inherent problem with Innova of low GC, long wheelbase and front overhang which hold it from becoming one decently offroad capable.

You cannot raise its height unless by specialized suspension kit made for it to make it that much more worthy.

However, Innova has that fantastic low end torque that is pretty useful and definitely works and still make it through pretty tricky situations, mud or rocks as we have experienced first hand with OEM tyres too. Ofcourse, more of that torque like the new Innova would have definitely put in much better comfort and confidence for sure. At a time we were gliding on muddy grassy plains in Ladakh river field but with some efforts we were able to tackle it even with the near to end of life Bridgestone B390 with balding lines.

Still, you could look at remap as Tejas suggests or kits for same that aid marginally but not too greatly.

What is practically in your hand is better grippy tyres for All Terrain, which we have tried and have seen them to be pretty useful. We stuck with standard R15, but you can upsize to R16 with the likes of Geolandars.

However, what the above will do is, stiffen and make your ride bumpier making it lesser family worthy, will reduce swift handling and turning capabilities.

I am even finding Apollo Apterra HLs, on one of our Innovas, tread grip better for such purposes which serve good for normal driving comfort too. Ofcourse they don't give it utter off-road worthiness to Innova, and I believe nothing can. So no sense breaking head over it.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 14:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Contact Ironman India for lift kit options for the innova.

As for the increased power, a remap easily gives you more power. Anup of T8 Performance has two stage Remaps for the innova. They even have a mileage increasing remap for the taxi segment. Works brilliantly. Ph: 095624 59459

The innova is a rear wheel drive, so, you can use the handbrake to get out in sticky slushy situations. Also, like tejas mentioned carry Offroad aids like traction boards, tow ropes, jacks etc.

But if you want a practical solution to your problem, I would say not to put the innova through bad roads and sacrifice it's reliability just to satisfy the craving. Instead by a cheap 4x4.

Last edited by dhanushs : 20th September 2016 at 14:59.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 15:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Hmmm, you want to make the Van go offroading now and that too by giving a pass to the Fortuner.
I used the term off-road liberally. What would be a term for just off the metal road? So, the Punjab/Himachal border is peppered with some superb natural scenic spots (with little human trespassing), where one can spend the day with family by just going some distance off the metal road. That is the use pattern.

Its like you go 60kms on metal road to take say a 5-10 km long kuccha road. In that tradeoff, we just couldn't choose a Fortuner. I can't exactly tell why- but as a collective group of 4/5 we were just much more comfortable in Innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Best is to buy a jeep (MMs) or gypsy or thar for your adventurous streak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Contact Ironman India for lift kit options for the innova.

But if you want a practical solution to your problem, I would say not to put the innova through bad roads and sacrifice it's reliability just to satisfy the craving. Instead by a cheap 4x4.
Jeeps are not an option, as they would be very uncomfortable for others.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2016 at 15:35. Reason: Merging consecutive posts...
Old 20th September 2016, 18:38   #12
BHPian

Never take the Innova off roading. Its a recipe for disaster. Its not particularly built for this use. Moreover and most importantly, isn't the Innova a RWD? If you are looking for a 7 seater car and plan off roading (AWD is a must), the new Endeavour or due Fortuner are better than the older gen and current gen respectively. The LSD thing will improve and give you some more traction but its simply for caddies and smaller vehicles. Not the giant Innova. You have one of two options here.
1. No offroading whatsoever in your Innova.
2. Fortuner, Endeavour, GLS, X5, Q7. These are all 7 seaters with capable off road abilities. Though the GLS is boat like. The X5 with x drive and Q7 with quattro, they are beats which can tackle just about anything. IM not sure Range rovers and Land Cruisers have 7 seat options but if they do, count them in.

But if you are keen on taking the Innova off road, i pray its only minor offroading, then the options mentioned earlier are all good. My own would be raise the car profile by a matter of millimetres, probably 10 or so. Then, stiffer and new suspension tweaks. Better and bigger tyres. Tyre pressure management system. There are a few more things you could do, but i frankly don't know much about it. My strongest advice would be to not take this baby off road. Keep it on the hard roads only.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 20:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
Never take the Innova off roading. Its a recipe for disaster. Its not particularly built for this use. Moreover and most importantly, isn't the Innova a RWD? If you are looking for a 7 seater car and plan off roading (AWD is a must), the new Endeavour or due Fortuner are better than the older gen and current gen respectively. The LSD thing will improve and give you some more traction but its simply for caddies and smaller vehicles. Not the giant Innova. You have one of two options here.
1. No offroading whatsoever in your Innova.
2. Fortuner, Endeavour, GLS, X5, Q7. These are all 7 seaters with capable off road abilities. Though the GLS is boat like. The X5 with x drive and Q7 with quattro, they are beats which can tackle just about anything. IM not sure Range rovers and Land Cruisers have 7 seat options but if they do, count them in.

But if you are keen on taking the Innova off road, i pray its only minor offroading, then the options mentioned earlier are all good. My own would be raise the car profile by a matter of millimetres, probably 10 or so. Then, stiffer and new suspension tweaks. Better and bigger tyres. Tyre pressure management system. There are a few more things you could do, but i frankly don't know much about it. My strongest advice would be to not take this baby off road. Keep it on the hard roads only.
I am sorry but I fail to understand how some of these thoughts are coming, from what kind of experience with Innova etc. Have you driven Innova in mediocre or even low off-road conditions? If you do possess one, suggest you really get it up to mild ones with extra care though and you won't be disappointed.

OP clearly indicates it is not a total "off-road" per-se (I did try to pull a leg ) but mild excursions which need that much capability with peace of mind to get it through those trying places at the same time being capable of carrying family along. Our Innova in North regularly does HP - Spiti and similar other circuits with family and it does not let down on stock configuration, ofcourse it is not totally worry-free times when it is taken to those terrains due to various factors of GC, power, torque and hangover.

Innova having RWD is a boon. How good it is with respect to AWD is altogether another thing.

It is an extremely capable vehicle, can take some serious abusive terrains head on, though with careful maneuvering and I would say even to the extent of mild off-road excursions sometimes until the terrain demands 4WD.

To make it really worry-free to take it through demanding terrains is something to be looked at with various possible upgrades.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 20:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

1) Get tyres made for off road use.
2) Get a decent metal underbody guard fabricated and welded to your chassis.

Lack of 4WD is always going to be an issue but you will be able to do most of what you've described with these two steps.
Old 20th September 2016, 22:24   #15
BHPian

One word : Don't.

Let Innova be the best at what it already is, a comfortable highway cruiser / people mover. Get a Mahindra thar which will fulfill your off road interests very well.

You turn your Innova into something else and it'll lose out on it's main purpose. And we all know, Jack of all trades, master of none.

P. S. No offense to you. Please do venture into this idea if it fascinates you! I'm always looking out for new innovations. I just warned you about spoiling what the innova's best at. Good luck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks