Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 00:39   #1
BHPian

Brake fluid over MAX mark in my Alto

Hello people,

I have an Alto Lx 2006 model. I was just looking under the bonnet as it has been six months since last service, and was shocked to see that the brake fluid was filled over the MAX line. Pic attached.

I have never topped it up. Last service was done in Dec 2009. From Care Taker Panchkula (must say i was impressed by their service).

1.Do i need to do something like remove a little of the oil to bring it under MAX level or is it safe to continue like this ?

2. Alto has recommended service interval of 1year or 10k Kms. though i dont drive a LOT. Just at 20k now from 16k at last service in Dec. But i was wondering if it is Okay to have such a long service interval? Or should i get an oil change done after six months or so. (oil was changed at regular service in Dec)

3. While fiddling around i noticed that the air filter was cracked at a side in the middle. Should i get it replaced? I guess the cost is around Rs 150 but can i buy a genuine one off the counter and just install it myself or do i need to get it done by a professional.
And it was quite dusty, i dont have a vaccum cleaner, what is a good way to clean an air filter?

I am really looking forward to answers and suggestions from everyone.
Regards,
Vishal
Attached Thumbnails
Brake fluid over MAX mark in my Alto-brake-fluid.jpg  

Brake fluid over MAX mark in my Alto-bonnet.jpg  

Old 10th July 2010, 19:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't worry about the brake fluid level

It is recomended to replace the air filter element if you find it cracked in the middle-this can't happen unless it has been handled carelessly.

Sorry to say,but your engine bay is real dirty - and why does that hose connecting the air filter assembly to throttle body look so oily?
Old 11th July 2010, 00:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Don't worry about the brake fluid level

It is recomended to replace the air filter element if you find it cracked in the middle-this can't happen unless it has been handled carelessly.

Sorry to say,but your engine bay is real dirty - and why does that hose connecting the air filter assembly to throttle body look so oily?
Thanks for the advice som!
I know it looks bad thats why i was thinking of the early service (due in dec).
Is there a way to clean it? Can i just spray water from a pipe over it?
will check the hose in the morning and post here.
I am not very knowledgeable about cars, but hoping to change that after joining this forum !

Thanks for taking the time to note these points and telling me.
Old 11th July 2010, 15:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Is there a way to clean it? Can i just spray water from a pipe over it?
Best way is to clean it yourself;take some water;dampen a cloth and just wipe away all the dust.

Once you do it,you'll feel great looking at a clean engine bay.
Old 11th July 2010, 16:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

You should immediately address the air filter issue - your engine bay looks so dirty and I assume that you drive through dusty roads everyday. If your air filter is cracked, imagine the amount of dust your engine eats everyday.

If the crack is a big one, then almost all the air will be flowing through that opening, and air filter won't be serving its purpose at all. When was the last time you checked the air filter?

I wonder how an air filter gets cracked inside such an enclosure.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th July 2010 at 16:16.
Old 11th July 2010, 16:22   #6
BANNED

guptavis: If you are not driving 10K a year, it's still a better option to service your car every year.
Old 14th July 2010, 23:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Best way is to clean it yourself;take some water;dampen a cloth and just wipe away all the dust.

Once you do it,you'll feel great looking at a clean engine bay.
Thanks vigsom, finally got some time to it last evening. Was going to post pics but it was too dark to take pictures (spent almost an hour at it). Finally took pictures today evening (attached below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
You should immediately address the air filter issue - your engine bay looks so dirty and I assume that you drive through dusty roads everyday. If your air filter is cracked, imagine the amount of dust your engine eats everyday.

If the crack is a big one, then almost all the air will be flowing through that opening, and air filter won't be serving its purpose at all. When was the last time you checked the air filter?

I wonder how an air filter gets cracked inside such an enclosure.
I drive in chandigarh, usually not too dusty but have driven through a few dust storms this summer. The crack is not in the filter material its at the side of the plastic on which the fibre is fitted.

The fibre does not have any leak. Probably the middle had a hairline crack which increased while i was taking it out to check four days ago. Pic attached below. Is this still a cause of concern? If so will get it checked soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
guptavis: If you are not driving 10K a year, it's still a better option to service your car every year.
I feel my last post was not clear (english in notmy first language )

What i wanted to say was, Its been 7 months since my last service. I was thinking of getting a service done now instead of waiting 5 more months according to the 12 month service interval (odo is much below limits). But have seen in another thread that early oil change is not necessary and adds little advantage. So not going for early service.
Attached Thumbnails
Brake fluid over MAX mark in my Alto-bonnetclean.jpg  

Brake fluid over MAX mark in my Alto-filter.jpg  

Old 16th July 2010, 22:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

don't you feel good seeing the bay clean?

I'd say the filter is fine as long as the rubber beading is intact;still,would recommend you go in for a new one.It costs nothing(approx 150 rupees)
Old 17th July 2010, 14:33   #9
BHPian

The engine bay looks respectable now; good job done. My MASS told me that while cleaning engine bay be careful not to splash water as there are some sensors in there. That crack on filter holder is really nasty and is better replaced.

After going through dusty environment, you should clean the air filter (paper). Never use any liquid for cleaning the filter paper. Just blow compressed dry air tangentially over both sides of the filter paper. Compressed air can be accessed at most service stations. Alternatively, use a manual air blower that is available at electronics tools shop: a rubber bulb with a plastic spout. It is good enough 'DIY' tool to regularly clean your air filter. You will get smoother running of engine with clean air filter. Happy motoring.
Old 17th July 2010, 22:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:

don't you feel good seeing the bay clean?

I'd say the filter is fine as long as the rubber beading is intact;still,would recommend you go in for a new one.It costs nothing(approx 150 rupees)
Yes it does feel good ! Thanks for your advice vigsom.
Its also good to see ive actually got down to cleaning something around the house. I dont remember the last time i put my room in order.
But i feel its going to become like that again within a week...
Dont think i can keep doing it over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
The engine bay looks respectable now; good job done. My MASS told me that while cleaning engine bay be careful not to splash water as there are some sensors in there. That crack on filter holder is really nasty and is better replaced.

After going through dusty environment, you should clean the air filter (paper). Never use any liquid for cleaning the filter paper. Just blow compressed dry air tangentially over both sides of the filter paper. Compressed air can be accessed at most service stations. Alternatively, use a manual air blower that is available at electronics tools shop: a rubber bulb with a plastic spout. It is good enough 'DIY' tool to regularly clean your air filter. You will get smoother running of engine with clean air filter. Happy motoring.
Thanks gostel.
Ive seen them splashing water at the hood at some service stations !
But i was apprehensive myself, so never put any water in it. One reason why t was so dirty.
Ive heard that filter cleaning before, but never knew where to find compressed air. Will look for some air blower. How often do you clean your air filter? Once a month? 3 months?
Old 18th July 2010, 09:43   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But i feel its going to become like that again within a week...
Dont think i can keep doing it over and over.
Do it once a month OR when you find it getting too dirty for you to bear

but do it yourself

Quote:
Thanks gostel.
Ive seen them splashing water at the hood at some service stations !
But i was apprehensive myself, so never put any water in it. One reason why t was so dirty.
Ive heard that filter cleaning before, but never knew where to find compressed air. Will look for some air blower. How often do you clean your air filter? Once a month? 3 months?
Water used to wash a car will do nothing to sensors unless some lead is cracked or a socket is loose.

Filter may be cleaned once every 2000 kms - compressed air is abundantly available-even at a cyclewala
Old 18th July 2010, 19:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Water used to wash a car will do nothing to sensors unless some lead is cracked or a socket is loose.

Filter may be cleaned once every 2000 kms - compressed air is abundantly available-even at a cyclewala
Will do it myself, the car washer guy only washes the outside. Cant trust him in the hood!
Never thought about cycle pump! Anyways am planning to get a foot pump myself, that should come handy.

So is it okay to spray water with a pipe? Is there no other component that can get damaged?
Would be a lot easier and quicker than the manual wet cloth routine
Old 29th July 2010, 13:35   #13
BHPian

brakes

Hi @guptavis,
The picture shows clearly that you will never open the bonnet.But try to keep a practice of opening atleast once in a week,Check all the fluid levels(Power steering,Brakes,Engine oils).

At that time you can also clean that dust with a piece of cloth.It will take just 5-10 minutes.

Only for low Brake fluid levels u need to worry.High fluid level is there and no heating inthe wheels will not cause anything.

But if the wheels are getting heated means u want to look at this.Some think is blocked the oil flow to the wheel cylinders.
Old 29th July 2010, 18:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Alto Brake Fluid Volume

My Alto Lxi is nearing 2 years, so I need to get the Brake Fluid changed. I normally buy all fluids from outside and watch while getting the fluid changed at the workshop. I read in other threads that brake fluid needs to be flushed and added in 2 or 3 cycles, indicating a high amount of wastage.

How much Brake Fluid should I buy for my Alto Lxi (2008 August) for a full flush and replace?
Old 30th July 2010, 00:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Buy two bottle of KBX brake fluid (dot3). About Rs.75 a bottle.

What is important is that you will need an expert who knows how to bleed it properly. This is very important.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks