Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 01:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My IKON is Refusing to rev above 3k.

Hey guys, I own a Ford IKON Flair 2007 which has clocked about 80k. Of lately I'v had a mishap with my car and it is described in this thread, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...fuel-tank.html
The problem, which was very much evident disappeared suddenly after I reached my place and the car did not even show any symptom that it had any kind of problem. And the overall FE too was up.

But then, last week, I had to go to Eranakulam for the betrothal of my cousin. The car behaved normally for the 1st 450kms, but then, on my way back to my place(Wayanad), just after Thrissur, my car started showing the same symptoms as discussed in my SODA thread. It refused to rev above 3-3.5k and the engine was "missing/jerking" above 2k rpm. The low end (below 2k) was fine and the engine was pulling nicely. However, I had my entire family with me (mom, dad, wife) and as it was a night journey, I could not pull over. I continued my journey and after about 100kms of 'very sedate driving(below 2k)', the missing/jerking started getting less. After the uphill climb, it almost completely disappeared and now there is 'NO' problem at all. I'm surprised that in my place, my car seems to be at home and shows no problem whatsoever. (I would like to make a point that, the air in my place is cooler, and 'fresher' - uphill)

Could you guys please offer your suggestions on this, as I have another trip to Ernakulam this weekend with my family and I don't want to get stuck as it would probably be a night journey.

- Dhanush

P.S - Mods, I have searched the forum, and did not find a thread with the exact nature of my problem. Moreover, I need quick attention as I have a long trip ahead of me next weekend. So make necessary changes to move this thread to the appropriate section.

Last edited by dhanushs : 14th July 2010 at 01:37.
Old 14th July 2010, 01:54   #2
BHPian

after your Soda incident did you got the car checked by service center.
don't be scared of taking it for a full check up, may be you are ignoring a small problem which can later develop serious damage to engine.

Take the car to F.A.S.S. and get it checked on priority.
Old 14th July 2010, 09:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Could you guys please offer your suggestions on this, as I have another trip to Ernakulam this weekend with my family and I don't want to get stuck as it would probably be a night journey.
1. Get the ECU scanned for Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( Stored Errors ) asap.

2. Mostly it is the problem with Fuel Pump. Please replace it to be on safer side.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th July 2010 at 18:19. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 14th July 2010, 11:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

On digging here, I have found the probable suspects can be
1. Ignition Coil
2. Bad Fuel
3. Clogged fuel filter
4. Fuel Pump
5. Spark plugs, ignition cables.

Though all these are suspects, I have no exact idea about what their individual effects are. Could some one please elaborate the symptoms of failure of these parts in an IKON so that I can know which comes closer.

Its just that I need to make myself clear about the problem before taking my car to the A.S.S. Moreover in her current condition (perfectly fine) the A.S.S guys will fail to diagnose the 'right' problem.
Old 14th July 2010, 11:31   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
after your Soda incident did you got the car checked by service center.
don't be scared of taking it for a full check up, may be you are ignoring a small problem which can later develop serious damage to engine.

Take the car to F.A.S.S. and get it checked on priority.

I have not taken my car to the Ford A.S.S as I was really busy and had hardly any time. The process of taking my car to Ford A.S.S takes one whole day. However I will be doing it soon, to avoid any other major problems.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 14th July 2010, 11:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Did you change your Fuel filter after the soda incident?
Old 14th July 2010, 12:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Did you change your Fuel filter after the soda incident?
No, I have not changed my fuel filter after that incident. Atleast I hope so, as I have not taken my car to the F.A.S.S . Would that be the problem??..
Old 14th July 2010, 12:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Moreover in her current condition (perfectly fine) the A.S.S guys will fail to diagnose the 'right' problem.
Once they know the cause they should be able to diagnose quickly even if the problem seems to be resolved for now. Normally the mechanics are trained to handle intermittent problems too.

Murthy
Old 14th July 2010, 19:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
Once they know the cause they should be able to diagnose quickly even if the problem seems to be resolved for now. Normally the mechanics are trained to handle intermittent problems too.

Murthy
Yes, Murthy, I AM going to take my car to the A.S.S asap, but then I want to be sure about this problem 1st, as I don't trust those guys. Actually I have a not so good experience with them. The funny thing I noticed about them is that, they change parts 1st and then try to diagnose the problem.

Like, I had a whining sound coming from the front of my car, and when I approached them they were very keen to change the shockers, wheel bearings - rear (even though the sound was coming from the front) and many parts. The final problem was diagnosed to be a deformed mud flaps. luckily I did not let them change the parts till 'I' was sure.

This is the case of Ford A.S.S at my place. So any other suggestions?

P.S - I had another really bad experience with those guys which I think deserves a new thread.
Old 14th July 2010, 22:06   #10
BHPian

Is there any other ford service near your town, or at the place you plan to travel, you can take the risk to drive till there.

Also you can replace the fuel filter at any local mechanic, to be on safer side and it won't cost much (if iam not mistaken), it may solve the problem and let your stop worrying about it, you can keep your old filter as spare for next time if its not choked.
Old 14th July 2010, 23:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Is there any other ford service near your town, or at the place you plan to travel, you can take the risk to drive till there.

Also you can replace the fuel filter at any local mechanic, to be on safer side and it won't cost much (if iam not mistaken), it may solve the problem and let your stop worrying about it, you can keep your old filter as spare for next time if its not choked.
This is exactly what I have planned - Change the fuel filter. But what I'm concerned is that, would the part be available outside the F.A.S.S. I'm also planning to clean my fuel pump, and spark plugs. If at all it is an ignition coil issue, can it be cleaned/repaired?. Please note that I'm planning to do this in from a local maruthi guy near my place. I hope that will be fine.

Also, I would like to add one more point. I just came back from a 200km trip which involved a 15km ghat section(2nd-3rd gears). Again, the car showed absolutely no symptoms of missing/jerking. I'm concerned that, how can a machine which was jerking/missing like hell and would refuse to rev above 3k for about 100kms, suddenly be all right. Show no symptoms AT ALL.
Old 15th July 2010, 03:12   #12
BHPian

get the fuel pump changed from outside, I am sure it will be available in aftermarket.

There may be a little possibility of loose connection or dirty spark-plugs.
get them cleaned by any mechanic, just keep a close watch and don't let him do anything which you have not asked.
Old 16th July 2010, 13:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

A Tribute To All Those Filling Up From "Untrusted Pumps"

I was really getting tensed about my trip this weekend with my car still showing NO SYMPTOMS at all. Finally I decided to squeeze out time give it a go and went ahead to clean my fuel filter. Guess what, the results were STAGGERING. I didn't know that my car could still run without any problems with SUCH HUGE deposit of dirt and water.

Check this OUT!!...

This is the fuel from my fuel filter! and came out after cleaning the filter 2 times. The 1st and 2nd time results were more darker and the mechanic emptied the fuel Immediatly.
My IKON is Refusing to rev above 3k.-150720103459.jpg

Check out the water droplets in the bottles.
My IKON is Refusing to rev above 3k.-150720103460.jpg

This is adulterated fuel from my Tank!!.. On inspection the mech told me that its about 20% water. The color is because the water droplets have formed a coagulated solution with fuel.
My IKON is Refusing to rev above 3k.-150720103461.jpg

And finally the Residue -
My IKON is Refusing to rev above 3k.-150720103462.jpg

On further discussion with the mech who seemed to be pretty knowledgeable, he told that there would be minute leaks in tanks of petrol bunks and in the monsoon season water and dirt would seep in. So guys, please make a note of filling up your car only from trusted pumps.

Again, I did not have enough time to clean the fuel tank which I will be doing today. Will keep this thread updated.
Old 16th July 2010, 13:29   #14
BHPian

That is pretty bad. Hope you finally got the solution.

Cleaning the tank and replacing the filter with a new one will be ideal.

We never take into account the possibility of water seeping into the storage tank at petrol bunks. Good revelation.

Murthy
Old 16th July 2010, 13:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

So, i was indeed right, Dhanush.
Get the tank cleaned, including the fuel lines if possible, and a new filter.
Your car should be back to its former glory.

Between, did you get this done at the MASS guys?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks