Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 18:44   #1

Parking brake light flashes while negotiating fast curves

Dear T-BHP ians,

Yesterday during a long drive I found that my parking brake light / brake warning light flashes for a second when I take a curve at slighty faster speeds...It comes on for a second and then goes off...

My car is a Palio Stile 1.1 and is 22 months old, I ve done around 56K km...Anyone experienced this before? Any idea of what could be the reason?

Thanks and Regards,

Deepak / Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 SLE

Last edited by GTO : 16th August 2010 at 17:46. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares. It results in a formatting error.
Old 15th August 2010, 20:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

1) Check the brake fluid. If that is not a problem, dont worry IMHO.

2) IMO if brake fluid is OK, this is not a major issue. Its just the switch that is now malfunctioning. This is switch which will show on instrument console whether your parking brake is engaged or not.

Could be either reason. I have faced the latter in M800. But first check if your car is not running low on brake fluid.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th August 2010 at 20:04.
Old 15th August 2010, 20:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its might be a case of loose cable or connector at the assembly itself.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:42   #4

Thanks, I checked the brake fluid level, it is well above the "min" mark...at least 3/4 of the tank seems to be full...
Deepak
Old 19th August 2010, 23:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Check for loose connections at two points. Brake reservoir, and hand brake switch.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvdeep View Post
Thanks, I checked the brake fluid level, it is well above the "min" mark...at least 3/4 of the tank seems to be full...
Deepak
Top up your brake fluid to max and the problem should be solved ; I faced the same problem sometime in 2002 in my Esteem and this solution worked.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Make sure the brake fluid container cap is screwed on tightly. I faced this issue in my 800 and screwing on the cap tightly solved the issue. You could have a loose connection at the hand brake switch as well.
Old 24th August 2010, 18:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear T-BHP ians,

Yesterday during a long drive I found that my parking brake light / brake warning light flashes for a second when I take a curve at slighty faster speeds...It comes on for a second and then goes off...

My car is a Palio Stile 1.1 and is 22 months old, I ve done around 56K km...Anyone experienced this before? Any idea of what could be the reason?

Thanks and Regards,

Deepak / Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 SLE
When you navigate a curve fast,and if your brake fluid reservoir is,say,at half mark,there is a tendency for the fluid miniscus to shift/tilt and as a result,the oil level switch senses low level momentarily.The miniscus then shifts back to normal and so the light disappears.

Please top up,recheck and revert.

If the brake fluid level is indeed at the half way mark,it could also mean a v.minor seepage in one of the wheel cylinders.Have that checked as well.
Old 25th August 2010, 00:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Deepak
Like everyone said topping up the brake fluid should 99% solve your problem. Hope it works!
Old 27th August 2010, 12:23   #10
BHPian

the same thing used to happen with my car! the issue was fixed by topping up the brake fluid and also replacing a couple of pins in the brake calipers. these pins are supposed to move in and out of the caliper assembly when the brakes are applied and released. they were jammed and causing the brakes to not operate at optimum efficiency.

the cost isnt much. about 200 Rs for the set i think. but get it done ASAp coz you have a brake lock tendency with this problem as i found out the hard way!

hope this helps.

Kiran.
Old 28th March 2016, 18:50   #11
BHPian

Handbrake Light: Weird Behavior

Need some help here.

For sometime, my i20 - Magna has been exhibiting weird behavior. Primarily the hand brake light, on the dashboard. It glows on the following scenarios:

1. When the handbrake is engaged.
2. When the pedal brake is engaged.
3. When I take a turn in >2nd gear, once the steering is turned >90 degrees. Left or right.
4. Going down ramps in 2nd and just letting the engine rev. without any accelerator pressure. Basically, gravity doing the work, but in gear.
5. At times, when I am on half clutch+moderate brake (heavy traffic) I hear this "kat kat" sound from the back tire area.

For scenarios: 3, 4, and 5: When the light glows, I do not feel any braking force on the car.

I am really not sure, why this is happening. Any help / diagnostics. Is this some sort of ABS aspect. I doubt my car even has ABS. Thanks to all for the help.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 28th March 2016 at 18:51.
Old 28th March 2016, 19:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Handbrake Light: Weird Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post

I am really not sure, why this is happening. Any help / diagnostics. Is this some sort of ABS aspect. I doubt my car even has ABS. Thanks to all for the help.
Do check the brake fluid level. It may running low which is also the reason why it glows when the car is on a slope, the level changes.

Check the thread ;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...akes-fail.html

Last edited by tharian : 28th March 2016 at 19:38. Reason: Link added
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 20:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Do check the brake fluid level. It may running low which is also the reason why it glows when the car is on a slope, the level changes.

Check the thread ;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...akes-fail.html
Thanks for the reply and the thread. I read through it. I just checked the brake fluid level. It is: ~1/4" above the MIN marker. The car had been stationary for an hour, before me checking it out. Should I get it topped up with DOT3 nevertheless. Is it easily available at petrol pumps, and will they pour it in. Since it is toxic in nature.
Old 28th March 2016, 23:32   #14
BHPian

1/4 " above the min mark is sufficient fluid. I think the float of the brake fluid level sensor is playing up. Probably the float is sinking lower in the fluid than it should. That may be the reason for the light to come up in slopes or when the car is rocking. You can try to fill up to the max mark which will force the float to rise up slightly and might work but at best it will be a temporary fix because a faulty float will gradually sink further with time.

Last edited by techiecal : 28th March 2016 at 23:35.
techiecal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 23:40   #15
BHPian

Does I20 have same container for Brake and clutch oil. I had faced almost similar issue in my fiesta, it was the clutch slave cylinder which failed and because of which it was showing the hand brake light. You might want to check for that.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks