Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 12:54   #1
BHPian

Brake Booster Failure on a New Ford Fiesta 1.6S. Need help/info!

Hi guys,
I bought a new ford fiesta 1.6S on 2nd June, 2010.

On its First free service on completing 5000kms on 8th August, 2010, the service advisor reported that there is a brake booster failure and needs to be replaced at the earliest.
As luck would have it, the spare was not available. It will take another week for the spare to arrive.

In the meanwhile, I have been driving the car without any visible problems. I had reported to the service advisor before the service that there is creaking sound coming from the brake pedal evertime I press it. The conclusion was that the brake booster has failed.

The GM of service centre agrees that it is a manufacturing defect. I have put a mail across to Ford Customer Care stating the facts. Awaiting reply!

Pls let me know what are the consequences of brake booster failure. What could be the damage, if any, to the entire braking system. Will Ford replace the entire brake assembly or just the Brake Booster?

I got some information on a website and it worries me further.
What Is a Brake Booster? | eHow.com

Need Help!!!
Old 17th August 2010, 14:39   #2
BHPian

THIS IS THE MAIL I WROTE TO FORD CUST CARE:

In addition to my previous mail below, pls find atttached following for your information:

1. Customer Information Sheet
2. Repair Order

Brgds
Capt G.K Singh

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM
Subject: Brake Booster failure on a New Ford Fiesta 1.6S
To: custmail@ford.com
Cc: "President's desk, From (.)" <write2md@ford.com>

Kindly note the following details re. the Ford Fiesta 1.6S purchased on 02/06/2010 through Harpreet Ford, Dilshad Garden, New Delhi.

The car was sent for 1st free service on 08/08/2010 after completing 5194 kms at Harpreet Ford Service facility in Sahibabad in Delhi.

During the delivery, it was reported by the Service Advisor that there is a BRAKE BOOSTER failure in the brake system and it
must be replaced at the earliest.

He also confirmed that the failure is a manufacturing defect (also confirmed by the GM service Mr.Pillai)

The said spare was not available with the service center. Upon inquiry it was told to me that the spare will be available in a weeks time.
That is on 15/08/2010.

I again enquired about the availability of the "BRAKE BOOSTER" on 16/08/2010 from the Genreal Manager of Service Mr. Pillai.
Now I was told that the spare is not available in any of the service centres in Delhi and will take another weeks time to come.

As per my own efforts of finding the information about the brake booster, I have been told that it is a serious defect and could
compromise the safety of the passengers and drivers if the entire braking system fails as a result.

This kind of quality defect is not expected from Ford and I need urgent reply and replacement of the Brake Booster and a full checkup
of any other damage to the brake system.

Kindly arrange for the suitable spare and co-operate in this matter.

--
Best regards,

Capt Gaurav Kumar Singh
Master Mariner
Old 17th August 2010, 15:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_rocker View Post
Hi guys,
As luck would have it, the spare was not available. It will take another week for the spare to arrive.
Arrive from where, Chennai factory? Are they available offshelf over there? Next thing you dont want to hear is that the spare is being imported.

In the meanwhile, I have been driving the car without any visible problems. I had reported to the service advisor before the service that there is creaking sound coming from the brake pedal evertime I press it.
Has the dealer given a go ahead that inpsite of damaged unit, the brakes would work fine in any eventualities.

The GM of service centre agrees that it is a manufacturing defect.
Is this in writing? If so, send it on Ford cust mail id.

Will Ford replace the entire brake assembly or just the Brake Booster?
Whats the dealer's view on this? Any past experience.
Capt,

Sad to know that the brake booster has failed in your Fiesta, hope you get a fast response from Ford regarding the problem and the solution.
I read in you ownership thread that you would soon leaving for boarding your ship, have you briefed you wife about the booster issue and the communication part.
All the best.
Old 17th August 2010, 15:54   #4
BHPian

Thanks Ghodlur.
Spare is to be brought from the chennai factory.
Unfortunately I dont have anything is writing about this being a manufacturing defect. The car was serviced on a sunday and GM wasnt there. I talked to him on the phone reg this.
The dealer doesnt have a clue about this issue. The service advisor says this is the first time this problems has occured. (guess that makes me lucky!!!)

Anyways, the GM service, Mr.Pillai called me just now to inform the the spare will be available on thursday. He is sending someone to take a picture of the brake booster to my home.. all this sounds really funny!! maybe he himself isnt sure what the booster looks like!! Dont know what to do or say!
You are right ghodlur.. im about to join ship very soon.. maybe 2-3 days.. hope this issue gets resolved by then
Old 17th August 2010, 17:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Capt,

Apart from the creaking sound that u hear while pressing the brakes, do u find any issues with breaking? I mean if the brake booster has failed, wouldn't braking be a problem? I presume one would require to put in more effort while pressing the brake pedal during braking in order to stop the car?
Old 17th August 2010, 23:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Capt,

Apart from the creaking sound that u hear while pressing the brakes, do u find any issues with breaking? I mean if the brake booster has failed, wouldn't braking be a problem? I presume one would require to put in more effort while pressing the brake pedal during braking in order to stop the car?
Hi Epic,
more than creaking its rather a "choo-choo" sound. I felt the brakes to be soft from day 1, that is when i took the delivery. I mentioned it earlier to the dealer but he said this is normal.. for a new car. I didnt bother much.
The braking is not a problem yet. I do have to push hard to brake hard, but the brake pedal doesnt seem to be hard to press. It just seems to be lacking the punch required for quick braking.. and like I said, this is from Day 1.
Old 18th August 2010, 00:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

You don't need to change the whole brake system. Only changing the booster will be sufficient.

In other words brake booster is also called servo. Its the black round thing located in front of the brake master cylinder. It works on vacuum from engine or alternator. Generally the failure of the booster is due to leak of vacuum/damaged diaphragm or stuck/damaged pin(goes from the paddle to the booster) inside the booster.

Failure can only lead to your power braking system getting converted to manual braking like in old cars/jeeps, requiring more braking effort. In rare circumstances when the pin gets damaged/misaligned, brake can fail completely or damage the master cylinder.

In your case its just the booster so dont worry to much unless there is any brake oil leakage or loss.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
You don't need to change the whole brake system. Only changing the booster will be sufficient.

In other words brake booster is also called servo. Its the black round thing located in front of the brake master cylinder. It works on vacuum from engine or alternator. Generally the failure of the booster is due to leak of vacuum/damaged diaphragm or stuck/damaged pin(goes from the paddle to the booster) inside the booster.

Failure can only lead to your power braking system getting converted to manual braking like in old cars/jeeps, requiring more braking effort. In rare circumstances when the pin gets damaged/misaligned, brake can fail completely or damage the master cylinder.

In your case its just the booster so dont worry to much unless there is any brake oil leakage or loss.
thanks randhawa for shedding some light on this issue.. hopefully this issue gets sorted out without much further damage..
Old 18th August 2010, 17:36   #9
BHPian

the brake booster as the name would suggest works so as to amplify/boost the effort needed to press the brake pedal...i.e. it makes the brake pedal easy or soft to press.

A simpy test for checking if the brake booster working or not is to try applying brakes with the engine switched off (engine should be off for a few minutes). In such a condition lack of vaccum from intake manifold will render the brake booster useless.
An ideal test would require the use of a pedal force transducer and comparison with the spec pedal force curves.

In your case it seems like the brake booster diaphgram is damaged n thus the sound of air rushing when the brake pedal is pressed. This would decrease the brake booster effectiveness and may eventually result in increasing brake pedal force to the level where a brake booster is not present.

peace,
~kg
Old 19th August 2010, 10:51   #10
BHPian

Poor Response From Ford India Ltd.

I tried to contact Ford Customer Care but wasnt able to.
The GM service promised me 19th Aug he would get the spare brake booster and get it fitted. Today when I called him, he said that it was a holiday and he is not sure when the spare will arrive.

I sent another mail to Ford today, this time directly to Ford MD's email.

THIS IS MY 3RD MAIL ATTEMPT TO YOU.

PLS BE AWARE THAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CONTACT FORD CUSTOMER CARE REPEATEDLY WITH NO AVAIL.
I HAVE A SERIOUS MANUFACTURING DEFECT IN THE VEHICLE - FAILURE OF THE BRAKE BOOSTER IN FORS FIESTA 1.6S -
THIS VEHICLE WAS PURCHASED ON 02.JUNE 2010 AND IS UNDER MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY.

THERE IS NO RESPONSE FROM THE DEALER - HARPREET FORD, NEW DELHI
THE GENRAL MANAGER OF SERVICE STATION IS UNABLE TO CONFIRM WHETHER THE REQUIRED SPARE WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE OR NOT.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT WARRANTED AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. PLEASE TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS AS VALUABLE ASSETS!!!!

I WOULD FURTHER LIKE TO ADVISE YOU THAT IF THE DEFECT IS NOT RECTIFIED SOON, I MAYBE FORCED TO CONTACT CONSUMER FORUM FOR
AN APPEAL AGAINST THE POOR AFTER SALES SERVICE BY FORD INDIA LTD.

I HEREBY DEMAND AN ENQUIRY INTO THE MATTER AND THIS ISSUE BE RESOLVED AT THE EARLIEST

Date: Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 1:22 PM
Subject: Brake Booster failure on a New Ford Fiesta 1.6S - Attachments

In addition to my previous mail below, pls find atttached following for your information:

1. Customer Information Sheet
2. Repair Order

Brgds
Capt G.K Singh

Date: Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM
Subject: Brake Booster failure on a New Ford Fiesta 1.6S

Kindly note the following details re. the Ford Fiesta 1.6S purchased on 02/06/2010 through Harpreet Ford, Dilshad Garden, New Delhi.

The car was sent for 1st free service on 08/08/2010 after completing 5194 kms at Harpreet Ford Service facility in Sahibabad in Delhi.

During the delivery, it was reported by the Service Advisor that there is a BRAKE BOOSTER failure in the brake system and it
must be replaced at the earliest.

He also confirmed that the failure is a manufacturing defect (also confirmed by the GM service Mr.Pillai)

The said spare was not available with the service center. Upon inquiry it was told to me that the spare will be available in a weeks time.
That is on 15/08/2010.

I again enquired about the availability of the "BRAKE BOOSTER" on 16/08/2010 from the Genreal Manager of Service Mr. Pillai.
Now I was told that the spare is not available in any of the service centres in Delhi and will take another weeks time to come.

As per my own efforts of finding the information about the brake booster, I have been told that it is a serious defect and could
compromise the safety of the passengers and drivers if the entire braking system fails as a result.

This kind of quality defect is not expected from Ford and I need urgent reply and replacement of the Brake Booster and a full checkup
of any other damage to the brake system.

Kindly arrange for the suitable spare and co-operate in this matter.
Old 19th August 2010, 10:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know they are not providing a prompt response to a critical area like brakes. They were more prompt when I filed a complaint about the glue work done on the side skirts of my car.

Your brakes will still work, but the additional help that a booster provides won't be there. Have you felt a reduction in braking power?

Last edited by Gilead : 19th August 2010 at 10:57.
Old 19th August 2010, 18:33   #12
BHPian

Hi Capt.

The booster should be replaced at the earliest oppurtunity. I had the same problem with my esteem`s booster after replacing the brake fluid. the sound used to come after We tried everything from releasing the air to agin replacing the fluid. I drove around like that for about three months as the booster was not available. There was no effect on braking except the annoying noise.
In the next service, the "ustaad" at the MASS adjusted the handbrakes and the sound was gone !!

In case the symptoms are the same, I do not think that you would have to worry much. BTW, if the same had happened to me, I would put in a mail to FIL that as they have not been able to replace vital part like the booster as yet, the responsilbility of any untoward incident attribuatble to braking would be solely theirs.
Old 21st August 2010, 13:41   #13
BHPian

Things Just Keep Getting Worst At Ford

ANOTHER EMAIL SENT BY ME TO FORD INDIA LTD.
================================

"Kindly note that I received a phone call from Mr. Pillai, GM Service, Harpreet Ford Sahibabad on 20/08/2010 saying that the spare brake booster has arrived and I can bring the vehicle to the service center to get the booster replaced.
I met Mr. Pillai and the vehicle was attended to.

The original brake booster was removed and the spare booster was being fitted when it was found out that the spare booster is not of the same specifications as the original one.
(Refer to the attached photographs taken on 20.08.2010 during the replacement.

The GM Service, Mr. Pillai was clueless about the part number and how the wrong part had arrived. After much findings, he could say that the spare was not the same as the original nas was for a non-ABS Fiesta.

After spending 3 hours at the service center, I was assured by Mr. Pillai that the correct booster will be made available next day, i.e 21/08/2010 and will be fitted on 22/08/2010 (Refer to attached scan copy of Customer Information Sheet)

Today again I got a phone call from Mr. Pillai stating his inability to procure the spare brake booster. He said he has spoken to Ford India Ltd Head Office at Chennai and the spare booster is unavailable there too and will have to be procured from the original vendor of Ford for brake assembly.
He has said that I can continue to drive the vehicle without any trouble!!!

THIS KIND OF RESPONSE FROM FORD IS POOR AND TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND WHY ORIGINAL SPARE PARTS OF VEHICLES CURRENTLY UNDER PRODUCTIONS AND SALES IS NOT AVAILABLE EVEN AFTER TWO WEEKS OF TIME. THE SERVICE CENTRE AT THE DEALERSHIP CONCERNED DO NOT SEEM TO BE BOTHERED BY THIS AND SAY THAT THEY HAVE NEVER CHANGED A BRAKE BOOSTER ON ANY ABS MODEL YET!!!

THIS AMOUNTS TO TOTAL HARRASSMENT OF THE FORD CUSTOMERS AND WASTE OF VALUABLE TIME.

I WANT TO RE-ITERATE THAT AS OF NOW, THE ENTIRE RESPONSIBILITY OF ANY DAMAGE/LOSS, FURTHER DAMAGE TO BRAKING SYSTEM AND ANY THREAT TO THE SAFETY OF DRIVER/PASSENGERS OF THE VEHICLE WILL SOLELY BE OF FORD INDIA LIMITED AND/OR THE CONCERNED DEALERSHIP M/S HARPREET MOTORS PVT.LTD.

BRGDS
CAPT. GAURAV KR. SINGH

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM, President's desk, From (.) <write2md@ford.com> wrote:
Dear Capt G.K Singh,

Thank you for contacting Ford India. We are in receipt of your mail addressed to our Managing Director regarding your vehicle bearing the registration number UP14BB7633. We have noted down the contents of your mail and have taken up the issue with the dealership concerned.

We would revert back to you after we receive relevant information from our dealership. Your concern number is 9752351

Assuring you of our best services and continuous support at all times.

Thanks&Regards
A.Reshma
Customer Relation
Ford India Ltd.

Last edited by capt_rocker : 21st August 2010 at 13:50. Reason: REMOVE FORMATTING
Old 21st August 2010, 13:53   #14
BHPian

some photos of the brake booster

Notice the original ABS booster and the spare non-ABS booster.
There was a difference in distance betweek the studs and so the master cylinder could not be fitted over the booster!
Attached Thumbnails
Brake Booster Failure on a New Ford Fiesta 1.6S. Need help/info!-brake-booster-original-spare.jpg  

Brake Booster Failure on a New Ford Fiesta 1.6S. Need help/info!-original-brake-booster-part-no.-sticker.jpg  

Brake Booster Failure on a New Ford Fiesta 1.6S. Need help/info!-customer-info-sheet-20aug2010.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2010, 15:38   #15
BHPian

further developments of this Brake Booster Case -
more emails from me!!

dateMon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:20 PMsubjectRe: CONCERN NUMBER 9752351 - FIESTA 1.6(SPORTS ABS) BRAKE BOOSTER SPARE NOT AVAILABLE
Dear all,

Pls note that GM Service Hapreet Ford Sahibabad, Mr. Pillai called me up on 23/08/2010 at 1450hrs.

He has offered me to use cab/taxi services for all my travelling needs instead of my car and is ready to pay for the usage.
He has also mentioned that it will take 3 days for the spare part to arrive from Chennai.

As mentioned below in my previous mails, I am willing to wait for 3 more days, i.e. until Thursday 26/08/2010 to confirm that the said spare is received and fitted in my car before I approach the Consumer Courts of India.

Meanwhile it will be my decision whether to use a taxi instead of my vehicle as offered by Mr.Pillai.

Brdgs.

Capt G.K. Singh- Hide quoted text -

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Capt Gaurav Kumar Singh <captgksingh@gmail.com> wrote:

Again...

All,

In view of the mail trail below and the fact that life of me and my family is at risk, kindly take note of the following:

1. It is hard to believe the fact that there are no spares available for an under production vehicle. I am assuming Ford India must be using a decent Inventory management system to keep a track of all spares.

2. In absence of necessary, genuine, working solution to this issue on or before the 25th of August 2010 by 1700 hours, I will lodge a formal complaint with the consumer courts of India.
3. Any and all consequences (not limited to financial) will be borne by Ford.
4. I will also approach the media with details of all that has happened and ensure that, if I don't live a happy life, so don't you.
5. I will also blog intensively against Ford on all possible forums and let your prospective & existing customers know of the mess that you have created.

6. Given the harrasment from the local dealer/serivce centres, Ford India Ltd. and the fact that despite repeated attempts, I have not had a positive response from anyone from Ford; I will demand monetary compensation (I am currently in discussions with a lawyer to suggest an appropriate sum).

7. If you don't have a solution before the stipulated date and time, I don't mind you giving me a brand new car (same model and color).

In short, please be prepared to face the music from a (as of now) not-so-nasty (but could be) consumer.

With best regards,

Capt Gaurav Kr. Singh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks