Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 18:14   #31

Re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

Hi Friends,

Yesterday, I took my car for a drive (around 100 KMS) and came back and could see no oil leakage. I am hoping it will not have any leakage in future.
Old 30th March 2015, 19:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad029 View Post
They have charged me Rs. 629 for Oil Pump Gasket (549.34 + Taxes) and told me that they are going to send the oil pump to Maruti for a check and see if I will be getting any warranty. And as a Goodwill gesture, they did not charge me on that for now. The supervisor says they will call me if I have to pay any extra amount in 3 months.
He's just bluffing. The warranty was approved and that's why you received an invoice with 0.00 amount for the timing case and so they're not going to call you for that payment. Getting that replaced and getting the oil leak fixed was your right under EW contract.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 00:39   #33
BHPian

Alto major engine Oil leak!

Hi All. I noticed a fairly large patch of oil near my parked Alto tonight. I was pretty worried as I have faced sump damage on my low slung Baleno earlier so checked the oil level with the dipstick immediately.
I was shocked to find that there was almost no oil at all and the level was way below the minimum mark on the dipstick!

A picture says a thousand words but a video should be even better. Hence I have shot a video of the sump and engine bay and shared below.

Could the experts please asses the situation and let me know what the likely cause is as I don't want to be ripped off by the local mechanic/ A.S.S ?
Old 6th May 2015, 00:47   #34
BANNED

Re: Alto major engine Oil leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_boom View Post

A picture says a thousand words but a video should be even better. Hence I have shot a video of the sump and engine bay and shared below.
Get the oil sump opened, drain the oil in it (if anything is there) and then change the sump gasket. Refit and check for leakage.

Reason I am saying this from the video posted at '00:18' the whole sump seems drenched in oil plus the gasket area along the tightening bolts is soaked in oil.

One main question to you: Have you driven the car with this condition? If yes, how many kilometres?

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th May 2015 at 00:49.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 01:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
One main question to you: Have you driven the car with this condition? If yes, how many kilometers?
It's impossible to say accurately, as when I first noticed the leak I had just parked the car back at home. But surely no more that 15 kms.
Old 6th May 2015, 01:28   #36
BANNED

Quote:

It's impossible to say accurately, as when I first noticed the leak I had just parked the car back at home. But surely no more that 15 kms.
Oops. Get this done ASAP - - Do NOT delay anymore.

What I suggest you is, after the engine cools down, check the oil level. If it is dismally low then buy engine oil - 1 or 2 litres and top it up. Then drive it to the mechanic and change the gasket.

Do NOT drain this oil as it is fresh, free use it after gasket change. If it is contaminated try filtering it using a clean muslin cloth (not sure if this filtering technique will work).

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th May 2015 at 01:32.
Old 6th May 2015, 10:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Anurag is correct. The oil does not seem to leak from the drain plug or the filter. Looks like the sump gasket has given up going by the look of it. Check oil level after at least 15-20 minutes of shutting the engine off. That should give a proper reading. Remember, the dipstick will show nil oil if the oil level goes below 1.5-2 litres. Driving or even cranking the engine in such a situation is a strict NO-NO. If the leak is not major, you may top up the oil and drive to MASS, given it is not too far. You should also check the rate of leakage after starting the engine if going by this route.

Best bet is to call MASS people at the spot and fix it then & there. My car suffered a major oil leak about a couple of years ago due to leaking filter. People from MASS came over, changed the filter and filled new oil in my parking lot without any extra charge.
Old 6th May 2015, 13:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oil Leak!

Is this a Suzuki or a Fiat? The drive belt reads FPT, which is Fiat Power Train.
Old 6th May 2015, 14:30   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Is this a Suzuki or a Fiat? The drive belt reads FPT, which is Fiat Power Train.
It is a Maruti Suzuki Alto. Part sharing I guess.

Quote:
Could the experts please asses the situation and let me know what the likely cause is as I don't want to be ripped off by the local mechanic/ A.S.S ?
Any update on the issue? Did you visit MASS or FNG?

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th May 2015 at 14:31.
Old 6th May 2015, 15:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

As anurag says top up the oil first ,before you ask them to change seal ask to
check the oil return hose sometimes if hose clamp is loose or rubber tube is cracked it may leak from there.

Also take it to MASS rather then FNG as they will have right parts.
Old 7th May 2015, 01:21   #41
BHPian

*Update* - The was oil topped up all the way today and the oil seals changed. Dad already took the car to the non-MASS mechanic before I woke up who suggested opening the timing belt etc to fix the issue for good but I refused.

There's still minor leakage remaining so will call up MASS tomorrow and have them take a look
Old 7th May 2015, 01:35   #42
BANNED

Quote:
*Update* - The was oil topped up all the way today and the oil seals changed. Dad already took the car to the non-MASS mechanic before I woke up who suggested opening the timing belt etc to fix the issue for good but I refused.

There's still minor leakage remaining so will call up MASS tomorrow and have them take a look
The minor leak is which area?

Is the oil seal that was changed belonging to sump (read gasket)?
Old 7th May 2015, 12:55   #43
BHPian

Is it the washer on the drain plug that you changed?
Also, can't you follow the trail of the leak to find the general area the leak is originating from? If you show us some more pictures, maybe we can help isolate the cause.
Old 11th May 2015, 14:30   #44
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply as I was travelling back from Delhi to Mumbai. The issue is resolved now by the MASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The minor leak is which area?

Is the oil seal that was changed belonging to sump (read gasket)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Is it the washer on the drain plug that you changed?
Also, can't you follow the trail of the leak to find the general area the leak is originating from? If you show us some more pictures, maybe we can help isolate the cause.
I wished I had taken a picture but the part that MASS replaced. It was a rubber seal a little bigger that the circle made by one's thunb and index finger.

The repair was extremely cheap at about 400 INR all inclusive (gotta love the Alto for that).

Lesson learnt from this episode is that never get a car with already low maintainance costs repaired by the roadside mechanic. Not worth it.
Old 10th December 2016, 13:36   #45
ZMG
BHPian

Re: Engine oil leak?

Hi,

I have a 2004 Honda City, which has done about 1.08 Lakh KMS.
Off late I have been noticing very little oil falling from the car when parked for more than a day.

Took it to a FNG, and he said the seal needs to replaced. He said he has to open the gear box for the same. The oil leak is from the engine I think.

He quoted an amount of Rs. 2500 for the job.
If anyone has been through the same, is it a fair quote? Also is it better to get it done from an Authorised service center?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks