Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 22:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Engine oil leak?

Today in the office parking I noticed that there was some kind of leakage from the engine. The liquid patch on the ground that I noticed after 10 hours of parking the car was about 10-12 times of what the patch size is in the first picture.

Liquid Patch created after 3-4 mins of parking the car
Engine oil leak?-picture-007.jpg

The place where the leakage is happening from
Engine oil leak?-picture-002.jpg

Distant view of the oily/greasy part of the black box where the leakage is happening
Engine oil leak?-picture-008.jpg

Pic from the top of the engine in case anybody notices anything different, I didn't
Engine oil leak?-picture-003.jpg

Another Pic from the top of the engine (a little close up though)
Engine oil leak?-picture-004.jpg

See the liquid in the middle of the pic. Looks like water + oil or just water or just oil, don't really know!
Engine oil leak?-picture-012.jpg

I have a long road trip planned from Delhi to Udaipur this weekend and not sure if I should cancel that and get the car checked instead or is this some kind of usual leakage. I'm assuming no leakage, of any kind, would be normal.
Old 18th August 2010, 22:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

It's not normal - get the car checked soon before undertaking any long drive. Not fully sure, but looks like the leak is form the plug of the sump ?

Did you get the car serviced/oil changed recently ?

Has the oil level gone down after the leak ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 18th August 2010 at 22:13.
Old 18th August 2010, 22:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Did you get the car serviced/oil changed recently ?

Has the oil level gone down after the leak ?
Oil Change was around 2 months back at 1000 kms. The car odo reads 4800 kms as of today.

I didn't check the oil level anytime since the purchase which was 2.5 months back. However, I did check the oil level today and it was exactly in the middle of the upper-lower spec limit.
Old 18th August 2010, 22:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a leak from the Oil drain plug washer.With this kind of leak,your oil level will show negligible drop and may not even show up on the dipstick.Suggest you drain the oil into a clean pan,refit the plug with a new washer and then fill back the oil
Old 18th August 2010, 22:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Looks like a leak from the Oil drain plug washer.With this kind of leak,your oil level will show negligible drop and may not even show up on the dipstick.Suggest you drain the oil into a clean pan,refit the plug with a new washer and then fill back the oil
I think what you are saying makes sense. Though I don't think I'd be able to do it myself, would have to take it to the local mechanic for getting this fixed.

Has anybody faced a similar issue before? I mean this has got to be a very sensitive spot and I don't know what could make this washer go bad.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2010, 03:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I think what you are saying makes sense. Though I don't think I'd be able to do it myself, would have to take it to the local mechanic for getting this fixed.

Has anybody faced a similar issue before? I mean this has got to be a very sensitive spot and I don't know what could make this washer go bad.
Certainly some oil washer is leaking, it would be better to get it attended at any local trust-able mechanic, if not A.S.S.

Do not ignore this before going on a long drive, like little drops make ocean, small Leak can hurt your engine if level goes down below recommended Engine oil level.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

I'd be taking it to the local mechanic only and not M.A.S.S. however was thinking what all is actually covered in the warranty. I mean a faulty plug or washer like this should be covered within warranty only. Does M.A.S.S. actually repair issues like these free of cost?
I spoke to my dad over the phone this morning and he advised that I better take it to the local mechanic (one of the guys we know is trust worthy) instead of taking it to M.A.S.S. as they tend to ensure that you go back with a hefty bill in hand.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I'd be taking it to the local mechanic only and not M.A.S.S. however was thinking what all is actually covered in the warranty. I mean a faulty plug or washer like this should be covered within warranty only. Does M.A.S.S. actually repair issues like these free of cost?
I spoke to my dad over the phone this morning and he advised that I better take it to the local mechanic (one of the guys we know is trust worthy) instead of taking it to M.A.S.S. as they tend to ensure that you go back with a hefty bill in hand.
I don't think so. The problem is serious and I suggest you take it to Maruti A.S.S. to get it checked. Your ODO reads only 4800 kms and Maruti should ideally not be charging you for this. They would not have replaced the oil drain pump washer properly while changing it two months back.

Last edited by Aarman_008 : 19th August 2010 at 09:07.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Get it checked from A.S.S. They won't take any money. Convince them that this never happened due to human error.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarman_008 View Post
I don't think so. The problem is serious and I suggest you take it to Maruti A.S.S. to get it checked. Your ODO reads only 4800 kms and Maruti should ideally not be charging you for this. They would not have replaced the oil drain pump washer properly while changing it two months back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Get it checked from A.S.S. They won't take any money. Convince them that this never happened due to human error.
Well I took the delivery of the car from Vipul Motors and since my office is in Gurgaon too it would actually be convenient for me to take it to them. Need to speak to dad again, you guys have got me confused here.
Another problem is getting permission from my boss to leave office early today.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

That black box is your oil sump! Take it to the MASS and tell them this leak is happening after they changed oil during service. Let them drain the oil, replace a new washer and refill with fresh oil in your presence. They should do it free, but don't mind paying if they insist. This should be fixed asap.

BTW did the sump hit anything on the road, by any chance?
Old 19th August 2010, 09:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Exactly my thoughts looking at the pic. Possibly an underbody hit on bad road / hump or some stone flying off from the tyre and hitting a weak spot.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That black box is your oil sump! Take it to the MASS and tell them this leak is happening after they changed oil during service. Let them drain the oil, replace a new washer and refill with fresh oil in your presence. They should do it free, but don't mind paying if they insist. This should be fixed asap.
?
The service was actually done at another M.A.S.S. in okhla but I guess the logic given by you could work. It might not even be necessary as dad knows the guy who owns the service station.

Quote:
Now that you mention this, while driving from Green Park to AIIMS, about 2-3 weeks back, there was a muddy patch where the path below the tyres of the vehicles was sunk in and the road in the middle was risen. The lower body of the car did brush against the risen path. This could be due to that.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2010, 10:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that you mention this, while driving from Green Park to AIIMS, about 2-3 weeks back, there was a muddy patch where the path below the tyres of the vehicles was sunk in and the road in the middle was risen. The lower body of the car did brush against the risen path. This could be due to that.
That sounds bad. Inform the MASS about this and let them do a complete inspection. I don't think the damage will be to the washer alone. If anything serious, be prepared to go for an insurance claim. But attend to this pronto!
Old 19th August 2010, 11:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

This looks bad do not waste time going to local mechanic.
Also at the M.A.S.S just say that oil is leaking from sump and let them diagnose and get back to you with estimate and reason.

I do not understand why Suzuki did not provide protection plate for the sump.
In this picture the engine cover plate leaves sump exposed. Penny pinching from Maruti leaves big hole in pocket of customers.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...icture-008.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks