Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

If it is the K20, then yes, very much. Everything that you would want is available.
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:54   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As you are looking at between 180 - 200 BHP, don't bother with an engine swap. Whatever you love about the Civic will be lost; an engine swap is a very complicated job. Instead, start modifying your current engine.

Thanks to Psycho for this link : Supercharger: CorSport Online Store: Honda - 06+ Civic - 350-091. With a turbo or a super charger, you will bring atleast a 30 horse gain. Get a Race Dynamics box + map, alongwith the standard intake & exhaust, your Civic could end up with a realistic 170 - 180 BHP.

If I had to get a blower for my car, it would only be installed by Red Rooster. See if you can accommodate a trip to Bangalore (Race Dynamics is also based there).

Along with the engine mods, be sure to upgrade your clutch, suspension and braking systems. Best part about the Civic is the phenomenal after-market support. In 3.5 lakh rupees, you could completely transform your car.
Old 3rd October 2010, 23:21   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Thanks to Psycho for this link : Supercharger: CorSport Online Store: Honda - 06+ Civic - 350-091. With a turbo or a super charger, you will bring atleast a 30 horse gain. Get a Race Dynamics box + map, alongwith the standard intake & exhaust, your Civic could end up with a realistic 170 - 180 BHP.

Along with the engine mods, be sure to upgrade your clutch, suspension and braking systems. Best part about the Civic is the phenomenal after-market support. In 3.5 lakh rupees, you could completely transform your car.
Dont you think 170-180bhp is being a little optimistic? Thats like a 30% gain on an NA car. On a turbo petrol that would be fine with a remap. I remember seeing a dyno graph of Zakies remap where the civic was producing 120whp, of course the problem was that no dyno graph was taken of a stock Civic. Even if the RD box does get more power I dont see it being more than 125 or so whp max (which equals to about 150bhp at the crank). This is just my thinking.

Ah yes, the aftermarket support for Hondas is brilliant.
Old 4th October 2010, 11:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Another thing to keep in mind before going in for bigger engines is the overall weight distribution. No point having a K24 with 190bhp, if the car is gonna be too front heavy.

An R18 with Forced Induction still seems like a good option to me. The K20 only comes with 215nm, where as a well tuned Turbo R18 could easily have more than 250-270nm. So a 200bhp NA K20 wouldn't really stand a chance against a 200bhp Turbo R18.

And a turbo setup need not be problematic. It finally comes down to who is doing it for you.

I guess you should wait till you have a word with people who have build turbo engines and then decide.

Shan2nu
Old 4th October 2010, 19:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
An R18 with Forced Induction still seems like a good option to me. The K20 only comes with 215nm, where as a well tuned Turbo R18 could easily have more than 250-270nm. So a 200bhp NA K20 wouldn't really stand a chance against a 200bhp Turbo R18.
Apples and Oranges. And the Civic's R18 doesn't have any aftermarket options when it comes to forged internals, not even stronger rods unless the OP wants to plonk down around 1000 USD on a custom set.
Old 4th October 2010, 21:56   #21
BANNED

WELL MANY PEOPLE WILL advice u man things

hi
my opinion is u should first put a C AI cold air intake like typoon k&n
and also ATC = advance throotle controler
this wont cost u so much but u can have better power and economy
atc i will upload some pictures
also if u can connect the cold air intake to u original factory air intake outlet u can also acheive more lower end torque
narry
ps moderator kindly donot delete this post which may have spelling mistake edit then much better to be user freindly
Attached Thumbnails
07 civic, still in love, looking for engine swap upgrade-blog2331.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by narry : 4th October 2010 at 21:57.
Old 4th October 2010, 23:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

That throttle thing is nothing more than a voltage amplifier, which makes the ECU think that you've pressed x % more throttle than you actually have. Can we keep such stupid hacks out of here?
Old 5th October 2010, 09:51   #23
BANNED

Vikram,

Sell the car and go in for a old gen accord or imported civic and then do whatever you want. Current car engine bay is too cramped and electronics are very sensitive. If you are thinking of importing the current gen engines or other old gen engines please plan for a minimum of Rs3.5lacs

Viper

Last edited by viper : 5th October 2010 at 09:53.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As you are looking at between 180 - 200 BHP, don't bother with an engine swap. Whatever you love about the Civic will be lost; an engine swap is a very complicated job. Instead, start modifying your current engine.

If I had to get a blower for my car, it would only be installed by Red Rooster. See if you can accommodate a trip to Bangalore (Race Dynamics is also based there).

Thanks for your insight, I did surf the link and there are two upgrade options Stage 1 and stage 2, some minor difference in both, I want to know if I just buy this stuff and bring it across will it be just installation from an expert or is it going to be complicated (anyone does in mumbai),do you know if they have a branch or some other company in toronto canada with similar upgrades available, I think I will be going in 1st week of Nov. I will surf on the net as well.

Regarding other upgrades, I agree I need to in order to support the extra power, I have a automatic with paddle shift (so clutch is not there, auto gearbox), so what will be the upgrades other than breaks and suspension. Red Rooster and race dynamics, dont mind making a trip to bangalore, you have ready contacts or else will surf the net. WIll there be any day to day issue like turbo failure etc, if yes who will manage in Mumbai (any idea), I dont want to be stuck in the garage every week, that is why i was inclined on a swap which sits exactly in the current civic hoping will be less complicated.

Finally with the increased power what kind of additional stuff I need to do in terms of body work as we all know the current civic is light in weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Vikram,

Sell the car and go in for a old gen accord or imported civic and then do whatever you want. Current car engine bay is too cramped and electronics are very sensitive. If you are thinking of importing the current gen engines or other old gen engines please plan for a minimum of Rs3.5lacs

Viper
Sounds interesting, my idea is to spend this money rather than sell it off loose 6 lacs and spend another 6 lacs to get a new ride. So if it is 3.5lac its still worth it if there are no daily hiccups after the upgrade as mentioned in the opening note of my thread.

There are 2.0 litre engines in Singapore but nothing in Dubai, so one close by place to order from, can you help arrange with other upgrades, let me know and we can meet up to discuss.

Last edited by The Saint : 5th October 2010 at 14:34.
Old 6th October 2010, 01:10   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
And Mercedes, BMW drivers are automatically more intelligent just because they drive expensive cars? Congratulations. Next time, buy a heavier shoe with a thicker sole. Will have the same effect and can be used across all your cars. Or, you know, just press the throttle a bit more than spend 10-15k Rupees on a stupid circuitboard which will do the same.
Pranav, I dont think it causes the throttle to be pressed more, but just amplifies the signal in the drive by wire causing the throttle lag to become much less, which will make the car seem fast, because of instant throttle response and quicker downshifts.
Old 6th October 2010, 23:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Sadly, the discussion has completely gone beyond the scope of the OP's original question.
Not to take this thread any further off topic but isn't the magic box in question same as the tri phase module?

Pramod
Old 6th October 2010, 23:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

No. That one taps the IAT sensor signal and this one taps the throttle position sensor signal in a drive-by-wire vehicle.
Old 6th October 2010, 23:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

I have driven and used the Buddy Club E-Throttle booster which does exactly what you mentioned pranavt, and trust me its a waste of Money. Like pranavt said it only increases or decreases the signal to the ECU, so if you have pressed half the throttle it feeds the ECU with a false signal that pedal is fully preseed and it opens up the throttle fully. It had a gain knob to set the amplification factor, I could also decrease it, means even if I press the pedal full way, throttle is opened up 50% or 75% how you want it. By this they claimed to increase fuel economy, how dumb!!

If you can press half the accelator pedal, might as well go through the other half also, I dont wanna spend even 4000 Rs for something which my right leg can do for free
Old 8th October 2010, 00:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
I have driven and used the Buddy Club E-Throttle booster which does exactly what you mentioned pranavt, and trust me its a waste of Money. Like pranavt said it only increases or decreases the signal to the ECU, so if you have pressed half the throttle it feeds the ECU with a false signal that pedal is fully preseed and it opens up the throttle fully. It had a gain knob to set the amplification factor, I could also decrease it, means even if I press the pedal full way, throttle is opened up 50% or 75% how you want it. By this they claimed to increase fuel economy, how dumb!!

If you can press half the accelator pedal, might as well go through the other half also, I dont wanna spend even 4000 Rs for something which my right leg can do for free
You have done decent upgrades to your engine, ECU remap, remus exhaust + sports suspension, are you happy with all the spend you did on your car.

You didnt do a enitire FFE from the header, what your take on it?

In addition you are a civic enthusiast, are you thinking of engine swap upgrade, if yes what engine swap you think will be perfect fit. Your views will be appreciated.
Old 8th October 2010, 00:44   #30
BHPian

Thank you all for sharing your views, please keep revving your thoughts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks