Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 14:35   #1
BHPian

07 civic, still in love, looking for engine swap upgrade

I bought my Honda civic in 2007 and I have endless love for her.

My love keeps growing every time I sit in the car; I get the same experience just the way when I sat in her for the first time. I truly love the automatic transmission, the cockpit and especially the paddle shift, just everything. When I am about to reach home everyday irrespective how long was my drive I feel should drive for some more time before I park.

I usually keep my car max for 2 years and then change it, but this time cos I love Civic so much and have spent so much money on it I don’t want to sell it, on an outset I did some numbers, if I sell it now or next year I loose 5-6 lacs from the price I bought due to depreciation and spend another 6 lacs to buy something that will be in the same segment.

I am happy with the car but I usually change my cars cos I get bored and over with the power of the car and then when I try and want buy a new car, this has been a never ending saga and reason to change my car every 2 year, so I have decided to spend the money to upgrade my engine (infact swap) rather than selling the car.

What I want:

Please suggest options for upgrade not in terms of ECU remapping, K n N air intake or a FFE, I want to change or import a engine that will fit into the car

What will fit in the same chasis without any major issue, remember this a daily routine car

-2.0 litre CRV engine
- 2.0 honda civic engine international models
-2.0- type R engine
-None of the above and your suggestion
-Lastly, How much money I need to do this. Your guess will be appreciated

I need everyone to contribute so that I can gather the consensus and then start hunting for the Engine, plus other stuff that I need to put with the engine upgrade, importing and stuff I will manage so don’t worry about that
so please revving your thoughts on this post

Thanks for your help

Last edited by The Saint : 2nd October 2010 at 14:44.
Old 2nd October 2010, 17:11   #2
BHPian

While I don't know how much it would cost, but best option would be to put in the 2.0 ltr DOHC Turbocharged Unit from the Honda Civic Si or Type R. That should produce close to 200 BHP.

Also please move your thread to the Modifications and Accessories section.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 2nd October 2010 at 17:25.
Old 2nd October 2010, 17:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

^^Civic Type-R has a NA engine. Its sacrilege to call it a turbocharged engine.

Do be aware that if you intend to do an engine swap, there will be niggling issues. You won't get the amazing maintenance free experience of honda cars.

Why don't you first try remapping your ECU? You might gain a bit in performance.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 2nd October 2010 at 17:28.
Old 2nd October 2010, 17:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Instead of trying for a swap job opt for a mod job.You never know if the Indian version of Civic could withstand a 2.0L engine.And as for getting the international Civic engine, its too much of paper work and hassle and of course,big money. Heck, even a local swap will be equally tedious. There are a few threads running on Civic Mod, look them up for more info.
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:33   #5
BHPian

I do not know much about mods, the experts here can clear my doubt. But, you say you love the automatic transmission. Will the automatic transmission respond the same way or better if the engine is changed? Is it that simple? Doesn't it depend on many factors which Honda would have originally taken care of?
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The K20 will be a complex bolt-on, but a bolt-on nonetheless. JDM Civics (FD2, the same one that you have) come with that engine in international markets. Go with it, it will be kickass fun.
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Instead of a K20 swap, a Turbocharged R18 would be better.

You not only get the desired 200bhp, but also loads of torque at lower revs. It'l be a real pleasure to drive on the open roads.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 2nd October 2010 at 19:51.
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Instead of a K20 swap, a Turbocharged R18 would be better.

You not only get the desired 200bhp, but also loads of torque at lower revs. It'l be a real pleasure to drive on the open roads.

Shan2nu

Thanks for your view, but R-18 one will be difficult to source, any idea what country this can be imported from, plus this will convert my ride into manual, which I would like to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
The K20 will be a complex bolt-on, but a bolt-on nonetheless. JDM Civics (FD2, the same one that you have) come with that engine in international markets. Go with it, it will be kickass fun.
Sorry to ask this, but when you say K20 what model is this available in, in addition to this I would have to upgrade by break disks etc. Also the car is very light with a soft suspension, suspension can be taken care of, but how do I strengthen the body weight, some one told me there is a guy in chennai who strips down the car and do some additional welding to make it heavy and strong, as civic in its current avatar gives u a jittery feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I do not know much about mods, the experts here can clear my doubt. But, you say you love the automatic transmission. Will the automatic transmission respond the same way or better if the engine is changed? Is it that simple? Doesn't it depend on many factors which Honda would have originally taken care of?
Yes I want to keep it to auto matic, the engine swap will be with the gear box i believe, so the auto transmisson will be of the engine i will put, i love the paddle shift, close to manual and without a clutch, makes life convinient

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Instead of trying for a swap job opt for a mod job.You never know if the Indian version of Civic could withstand a 2.0L engine.And as for getting the international Civic engine, its too much of paper work and hassle and of course,big money. Heck, even a local swap will be equally tedious. There are a few threads running on Civic Mod, look them up for more info.
I know it is tedious, but whoever has done ECU remapping and FFE they have not got gain against the money that they have spent, my personal opinion it is not worth the money, you spend around 45-50k for hardly 4-5bhp gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Civic Type-R has a NA engine. Its sacrilege to call it a turbocharged engine.

Do be aware that if you intend to do an engine swap, there will be niggling issues. You won't get the amazing maintenance free experience of honda cars.

Why don't you first try remapping your ECU? You might gain a bit in performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
While I don't know how much it would cost, but best option would be to put in the 2.0 ltr DOHC Turbocharged Unit from the Honda Civic Si or Type R. That should produce close to 200 BHP.

Also please move your thread to the Modifications and Accessories section.
When I finished posting i realised this should be under modification, will hunt on the site how to change it.

I am not in a rush to do this immediately unless I have full faith from you all to go for it, I know it wont be a easy task but if it makes a sucessful case study then I will go for it.

Last edited by The Saint : 2nd October 2010 at 19:55.
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your view, but R-18 one will be difficult to source, any idea what country this can be imported from, plus this will convert my ride into manual, which I would like to avoid.
The Indian Civic uses an R18 engine.

This might help - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...rbo-build.html

PS : Since you're in M'bai, just get in touch with Ford Rocam (Jitu). With the kind of extensive work he has done on his Turbo B16, he will be the right person to direct you.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 2nd October 2010 at 20:01.
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
The Indian Civic uses an R18 engine.

This might help - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...rbo-build.html

PS : Since you're in M'bai, just get in touch with Ford Rocam (Jitu). With the kind of extensive work he has done on his Turbo B16, he will be the right person to direct you.

Shan2nu
Thanks shanu, it was treat to my eyes to see ford rocam old honda civic, it is indeed a monster on the road. do you have his number or something, i will anyways find him here and ask for it through pm.

Thanks for the link, i could not read the entire link but I think I saw this thread when the car was turboed. my only worry is after market turbo's though they are from reputed brand can give daily hiccups and worry for some one who is working and doesnot own a workshop, i also do lot of interstate driving so dont want to get stuck on the highway, also I hear cooling of turbos can be an issue, company fitted turbos also have issues but when they come from them you have more piece of mind.

Straight engine swap with all the works in it will be more reliable as far as it sits correctly/exactly in the car.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Check the CRVs sold in India. Quite sure they came with the K20 engine. Don't know which engines the Accords come with, K24 I believe.

The R18 is a dead end with regards to aftermarket engine internals or even bolt-ons. There's little available for it even in the international markets. Ultimately, it's your decision.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:13   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Check the CRVs sold in India. Quite sure they came with the K20 engine. Don't know which engines the Accords come with, K24 I believe.

The R18 is a dead end with regards to aftermarket engine internals or even bolt-ons. There's little available for it even in the international markets. Ultimately, it's your decision.
The 2.0 CRV in India is only 140bhp. That wouldnt be much of an upgrade eh? Even the K24 (not quite sure it is the K24 because of the low figures) on the Accord was 140 odd bhp.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The 2.0 CRV in India is only 140bhp. That wouldnt be much of an upgrade eh? Even the K24 (not quite sure it is the K24 because of the low figures) on the Accord was 140 odd bhp.

Didn't know that. Then again, Honda India has been pulling such stunts for over a decade now.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:21   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Didn't know that. Then again, Honda India has been pulling such stunts for over a decade now.
Haha 143ps to be exact, was reading the CRV brochure while waiting at Arya to get my car back.

BTW the K24 on the CRV is 160bhp.

I dont understand Honda India.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Haha 143ps to be exact, was reading the CRV brochure while waiting at Arya to get my car back.

BTW the K24 on the CRV is 160bhp.

I dont understand Honda India.
I think it is more than 160, I will do a check, last I know is or rem is its more than 170 bhp. these engine options will just save me from the import as it is tedious processto.

Can one do decent engine upgrades on CRV after installation etc in comparison to the civic , or story is the same

Last edited by The Saint : 3rd October 2010 at 11:58.

Most Viewed