Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2005, 16:53   #16
BHPian

It is for better managment of water and dust conditions. This gives it added reliability when it is used to plough fields. Farmers use tractors to plough dry and wet fields. That is why.
Old 1st October 2008, 23:35   #17
BHPian

Moreover it is also better for the environment.If it were to go straight out of the tail pipe at the rear, considering its a diesel,imagine what the people coming from the rear have to bear;also there will be a significant power loss that way.
Most of the international trucks if you notice have the exhaust going upwards just behind the drivers cabin.
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:22   #18
BHPian

Agree with others, the main reason is the fact that a tractor is used for service in conditions where it has to deal with a lot of debris, muck and uneven terrain where a lower exhaust at the tail will not survive. Besides road cars also need to be asthetically attractive and with tractors you arnt really looking at asthetic beauty.
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Antony, This is a three year old thread
Old 2nd October 2008, 11:42   #20
BHPian

For those who like racing tractors around their farms, Newton's law says that if the exhaust gasses are blown upwards, the tractor is pushed downwards.

i.e. Downforce!
Old 2nd October 2008, 16:42   #21
BHPian

Here goes.

1) At Indian airports namely Bombay and Madras I have seen tractors with the exhaust being routed below the engine block, transmission block like in cars. Why ? The exhaust can foul with the lowest parts of aircraft and the terrain is all tarmac and concrete.

2) Farm use tractors have their exhausts at a height. why ? They have to go backwards and forwards, like tsk suggested if they need to go backwards with an exhaust which is submerged and the opening of the exhaust facing the direction of travel, water will be FORCED into the the exhaust pipe and with force going upto the manifold and into the chamber. Thereby damaging the engine.

Also there are farm implements such as compressors, auto seeders, fertiliser dispensers, ploughs and tractor trolleys connected to farm/rural tractors, if the exhaust is routed below the engine/transmission tunnel like in cars the exhaust will irritate people when towing a trolley or contaminate whatever is being distributed in the fields, tractors are also used to transport goods to the market, if the exhaust directly faces the edible produce, there are chances of contamination.

The largest reason by far is ground clearance in rural areas.

This is why its placed on top above a possible driver's head so the exhaust is released higher than any person sitting on the tractor.

Hope this helps.
Old 14th October 2008, 19:09   #22
BHPian

Variation in car exhaust layouts

Folks,

This seemed to be the perfect thread to ask a question lingering on my mind for quite some time. I have noticed a difference in the way the tail ends of exhausts are configured in different cars (see the Figure below). Could anyone tell me why this is so and whether either arrangement is superior to the other? Will there be any serious setback to the aerodynamics/airflow of my Estilo if I saw off the tail end of my Zen Estilo's exhaust to make it similar to that of the Santro?

Name:  EP qry.bmp
Views: 617
Size:  804.7 KB
Old 14th October 2008, 22:51   #23
BANNED

When a car is idling, (a) Stand in front. (b) Stand at the back; behind the exhaust. (c) in front, with the hood raised.

Which is most noisy? It is (b).

If the exhaust was sideways, round will reflect back to the passengers from obstacles on the side. (happens on front engined buses. Observe the difference if you are sitting on RHS window seat, on the road with median, and on rural roads without median.

Additionally, a bad engine / bad tune can mean smoke and soot; which will go into the passenger cabin if the exhaust was at any other direction in passenger cars.

So, why is it vertical on tractors? Because any where else, and it (a) will go under the body - bad coz. tractors may work in water logged fields. (b) can get into contact with human beings when the vehicle is parked. (c) soot blowing on the driver is not a problem since tractors are suposed to be slow moving vehicle.

And the cap on the top is to keep out water.

So here is another question to wrack your brains.

Notice the trucks? The exhaust will open just in front of the rear tyre.

Now have a good luck at trucks for carrying petro products (LPG cylinders, tankers, gas bullets, etc). The exhaust will exit from front RHS corner. Obviously, this position works, is shorter exhaust pipe means more economy etc.

And aso note that the engien sounds same on both types of trucks (unless the engine / make is different).

Why dont all trucks have exhaust exit on the front RHS corner?
Old 14th October 2008, 23:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Now have a good luck at trucks for carrying petro products (LPG cylinders, tankers, gas bullets, etc). The exhaust will exit from front RHS corner. Obviously, this position works, is shorter exhaust pipe means more economy etc.
That is to prevent hot exhaust pipe from being close to the highly inflammable load the truck is carrying.
Old 14th October 2008, 23:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

And aso note that the engien sounds same on both types of trucks (unless the engine / make is different).

Why dont all trucks have exhaust exit on the front RHS corner?
My theory is that:

To keep the heat as far as possible from the LPG or petrol tank(i mean the cargo)
Old 14th October 2008, 23:45   #26
BHPian

I suppose on the trucks that aren't carrying explosive materials, it is preferable to have the exhaust outlet as far from the driver as possible to spare the driver from excessive noise and perhaps even excessive heat (very few truck drivers have air conditioning).

Furthermore, if the cargo is not in a sealed container, the exhaust gasses emitted from the front RHS corner will blow past/through the cargo, which often happens to be food or livestock. You certainly wouldnt want to eat goats or drink milk from cows that had been breathing concentrated pollutants for the last 12 hours.

However in the case of the fuel tankers, its better to have a hot and irritated driver than an exploding cargo!
Old 15th October 2008, 00:35   #27
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Are you sure thats how a santro is?

Quite a few old santros have thir exhaust pipes corroded and broken and hence might look that way!

But anyways I don't think there is a practical difference between the 2 designs!
Old 15th October 2008, 10:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Tractors are ordinarily used for agricultural purpose. If the exhaust were fitted like any other four wheeler water and mud could block the free flow of fumes. This obstruction would reduce the performance of tractor. Hence, the trucks are fitted with verticle tubes.

The worry is not on reducing the noice level, hence short length of verticle exhaust is ideally fit for tractors.

In trucks, as you might have observed, trailer trucks generally come with verticle exhaust or near to the front wheel. Reason may vary. For imflamable material carrier , exhausts must be fit very much away from the cargo. For trailer truck, the cabin is separatable from the trailer and they cannot fit horizontal exhaust tube to the length of vehicle. Hence, short exhaust tube either at wheels or verticle taken.

These are my views only.

Dwarak
Old 15th October 2008, 11:26   #29
BANNED

Guys, my question is, why dont they use the same design exhaust (as in petro. product trucks) in all trucks?

I understand why it in front RHS corner on petro products trucks.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Folks,

I have noticed a difference in the way the tail ends of exhausts are configured in different cars (see the Figure below).

The only reason behind design difference of exhaust pipe between Hyundai and Maruti cars is,
Maruti is generous enough to spend extra on that 4 inch extended exhaust pipe than Hyundai.

About exhaust pipe of tractor,
tractor companies in India have no money to give extra length exhaust system. So to reduce the cost, the exhaust pipe is on hood.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks