Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2005, 12:40   #1
BHPian

Exhaust Mystery !!! ??????

Hi friends

I'm a mechanical engineering student and i recently came across a question whose answer i'm looking for.

Why is exhaust pipe on tractors vertically upward on the front hood ?, whereas in passenger cars its generally at the tail position?

If u have any idea why its so do share.

Rohit
Old 4th December 2005, 16:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have seen some jeeps with vertical exhaust pipes as well. So maybe the tail position is just not a good idea for agricultural vehicles due to the type of tasks these things are used for.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd October 2008 at 01:52. Reason: Formatting tags removed.
Old 4th December 2005, 17:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
[SIZE=2]I have seen some jeeps with vertical exhaust pipes as well. So maybe the tail position is just not a good idea for agricultural vehicles due to the type of tasks these things are used for.[/SIZE]
good thinking. now that you said that I too think so.

can somebody think of another reason?
Old 4th December 2005, 18:43   #4
SLK
Senior - BHPian

So.. the day the tractors go Euro 4... they'll have their exhuasts at the tail?

I think its because of the fact that they go into bad terrains.. and even in water logged places.... so a sunk or a broken exhaust won't do any good!
Old 4th December 2005, 18:49   #5
BHPian

Most trucks abroad have exhausts in the vertical position,either in front or behind the cabin.Full fledged SUVs also use this layout,as do tractors and other agriciltural vehicles.This is simply for ground clearance.The kind of terrain on which these vehicles are used are often rough and calls for high set exhausts.Emission norms have nothing to do with the positioining of the pipes.
Old 4th December 2005, 21:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rohit. Nice to see another dceite here.
I will go with SLK on that. I dont think that their are any "technical" reasons why the exhaust is on the hood.
Old 4th December 2005, 23:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

its probable made that way because in passanger cars if it were facing upwards with the window down the gases would enter the cabin and make it uneasy to breath so instead they are at the tail.where as in tractors and trailers they are placed upfront as they dont need to be all the way at the back and also probably to cut costs.

rev
Old 5th December 2005, 04:19   #8
BHPian

An exhaust going straight up would also have a cap covering it.. (to prevent anything, like rain water from getting in ?)
One reason can be that when ur in deep water, there is no chance of the vehicle cutting off when idling due to water blocking its exhaust...
It would be the same reason that they would also have a snorkle, to prevent water being pulled into the air intake when passing through water.
Old 5th December 2005, 11:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

An exaust wont survive 2 min if its like in cars. Last time I drove a tractor, I ended up in slush with the muck reaching till the engine block, a good 2 feet of muck. While sowing paddy its common to get stuck in "mini quicksands too".

Infact the air filter is also like the exaust in most tractors, This ensures that even with the tractor submerged, the engine will keep running.
Old 5th December 2005, 20:44   #10
BHPian

Tractors are used for ploughing the crops. Exhaust gases are toxic. They should not be passed over edible crops. That's may be the reason.
Old 6th December 2005, 00:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi
Most trucks abroad have exhausts in the vertical position,either in front or behind the cabin.Full fledged SUVs also use this layout,as do tractors and other agriciltural vehicles.This is simply for ground clearance.The kind of terrain on which these vehicles are used are often rough and calls for high set exhausts.Emission norms have nothing to do with the positioining of the pipes.
Trucks have the vertical exhausts for a couple of reasons. If the exhaust pipe faces the downwards then it blows a lot of dust on the road. Also in traffic it causes a lot of problem for other cars on the road and at the signals.
Tractors get into water logged areas at times and thats the reason they have vertical exhausts. Same reason for certain SUVs that are designed to get into water.
Old 6th December 2005, 02:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
Tractors are used for ploughing the crops. Exhaust gases are toxic. They should not be passed over edible crops. That's may be the reason.
Good point but some of that stuff they spray on crops is seriously bad as well. I have some relatives who used to grow lots of Aubergines in Punjab. They used to put these highly toxic tablets with the seed as otherwise the Aubergines would not grow. Apparently one of the tablets was enough to kill a person. Put me off Aubergines for a long time.

I think the reason posted by tsk1979 is likely to be the case.
Old 17th December 2005, 00:06   #13
BHPian

Hi friends
i feel great to see that people are thinking over these things,

well i've come across another point that asthetics is the least bothered thing in a tractor and an exhaust on the hood directly over the exhaust manifold provides the shortest possible route and least "back pressure" on engine !!!! ( Back pressure is the effort engine has to do to push out the exhaust gases out)

What do u think guys?????

Keep suggesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Hi Rohit. Nice to see another dceite here.
I will go with SLK on that. I dont think that their are any "technical" reasons why the exhaust is on the hood.

Hi Dceite

How're u doing? which year and branch r u in? i'm in 8th sem mech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy
Trucks have the vertical exhausts for a couple of reasons. If the exhaust pipe faces the downwards then it blows a lot of dust on the road. Also in traffic it causes a lot of problem for other cars on the road and at the signals.
Tractors get into water logged areas at times and thats the reason they have vertical exhausts. Same reason for certain SUVs that are designed to get into water.
Its one of the solid reasons i suppose. Keep thinking if u find a few more!!!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd October 2008 at 01:54. Reason: Hi, please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making consecutive posts. Also please avoid SMS language.
Old 17th December 2005, 02:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes mostly To prevent water and debris getting into it during rough construction and farm work. But the main reason is to prevent blowing exhaust on other commuters as these heavy duty tractors and SUV's are diesel guzzlers and can blow out a thick decauction of poisonous Goddamn cloud of carbon with a blip of the throttle...
Old 17th December 2005, 07:56   #15
BHPian

Toxic........???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
The toxic gases, as far as i know, coming out of an IC engine are CO (Carbon Monoxide) and NOx. that too is not at all toxic to plants,....and it might help in repelling the pests..!!!
The real reson might be the clearence and water clogging problems!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks