Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 09:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 99 Santro : loud khad khad noise from front wheels.

Yes. The drive shafts need replacement. If you want to keep the car for long replacement, rather than repairs, is the best option.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 09:31   #17
BHPian

Thanks Vijay and Rajeev!
After searching on the net, I thought this sound was because of CV joints. But not sure if I can replace/repair the CV joint instead of replacing whole drive shaft for Santro.

This video shows exactly how it sounds in my case:

But I am curious how this sound started overnight? Just a couple of days back, there was absolutely no sound from this driveshaft (or the CV joints), and suddenly it started so loudly, like overnight?

Also, how much it should cost if I wanted to replace the driveshaft? If replacing only CV joints is possible, how much damage to the pocket should I expect?

Thanks!
Old 29th September 2016, 09:48   #18
BHPian

Today talked to a mechanic near my home (this one is famous for Maruti Suzuki vehicles, though he repairs other brands as well). This guy suggested replacing the Axle (drive shaft) itself. When asked if we can replace only the CV joints, he insisted not doing so because replacing the complete driveshaft is more reliable.

Although I didn't drop the car for repairs right away, he quoted around 2K for each driveshaft (I suspect both have gone bad, as I get noise when turning in either direction). Note that this pricing is for aftermarket parts and not genuine. Genuine parts would be much more costlier than these.

Please let me know if the pricing is OK.

Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:31   #19
BHPian

Yeah.. replaced the left side drive shaft from road-side garage. Total cost=2K including labour. Now, the noise is gone and the car runs fine as before.

Thank you guys for your suggestions!
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks