Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 13:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Battery advice for a Honda Civic

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this query. Please be gentle if this is the wrong forum.

My Honda Civic (2007 October, 28K km) did not start on 9th October. My usage of this car is minimal - mostly weekends and occasional long intercity drives - since it is not really the car for home-work-home commute in Mumbai. So what I did was to call Honda roadside assistance. A technician turned up within the hour, who diagnosed it as a run-down battery problem. He used a battery that he brought along to jumpstart the car, showed me a layer of greenish deposit on one of the electrodes of the battery, cleaned it, and advised me to drive the car for about 10-15 km before doing anything else. I did as he advised, and also later in the day went out for a drive to Vashi (from Malad, about 40 km one-way - for this drive, I used the A/c). Then during the week, the car stayed in my parking slot at my apartment. In total, I drove around 100 km after the technician jumpstarted the car, about 80 of which was with the A/c and headlights on.

Next Saturday (16th), the car did not start again. This time, I cannot see anything obviously wrong with the battery connections.

My questions are:

1. What is wrong here? Did I not drive enough for the battery to charge fully on the 9th?

2. Is there a problem with the battery? Will I have to change it?

3. I do not expect to be driving this car regularly at least for a month. Should I leave it as it is (causing other damage elsewhere)? If
not, the best I can do is a late-night drive daily after I return from office.

4. I have in the past left this car undriven for months without having any issues. Why is this cropping up suddenly?

5. Any other advice will be really helpful. I really love driving this car. :-)

TIA.

Binand

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th October 2010 at 19:06. Reason: Fixing the formating, please use Preview before submitting posts. Thanks
Old 18th October 2010, 13:17   #2
BHPian

Batteries typically last 3 years - catch hold of your local battery dealer and get him to jumpstart the car and test your existing battery.

Then follow his recommendations. IMO, you'll need a new battery.
Old 18th October 2010, 13:23   #3
BHPian

Driving just 100km would not charge your battery from 0 to full.
The best way is to get the battery charged from any battery shop.

At the same time, the battery shop can test how good the battery is and whether it should be replaced or not.

If it does have to be replaced, another common check is to see if the alternator (which charges the battery) is providing the correct voltage to charge the battery. If all is well with the alternator, then replacing the battery is the last thing to do.
Old 18th October 2010, 13:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In total, I drove around 100 km after
the technician jumpstarted the car, about 80 of which was with the A/c
and headlights on.

Binand
There is your answer; you did not let the battery charge. IMHO, ask your local battery dealer to charge the battery for a full 24 hours (using his charger). If the problem still persists, then go for a new battery. Generally a battery if well maintained lasts for 4 years (in my case it was 5 years).
Old 18th October 2010, 15:08   #5
BANNED

It is a clear sign of an ageing battery. In fact, Hariya's battery died exactly 3 years after its date of manufacture. Our(mine and yours) driving patterns too are strikingly similar.

Get your battery replaced and go for an AC Delco or an Amaron (there is a separate battery thread on TBHP where you can ask questions).

Also, OEM batteries last lesser than aftermarket batteries, so your battery has lasted as long as it could.
Old 18th October 2010, 15:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Before changing your battery, check the following:
1. Is there sufficient electrolyte in the battery? If not, then top up electrolyte and bench charge for 24 hours before using it again. Check the specific gravity in each individual cell (if it is not a sealed maintenance-free battery - all should be equal).
2. Is there a current leakage in the car's electrical system? Ask your electrician to check with a multimeter. If yes, have this corrected and check how the battery works once again. (You would expect a discharge of @500mA if the remote central locking system is active. Disconnect the remote CL & check again).
3. Check the voltage of the charged battery across its terminals when cranking the starter. A drop in voltage below ~10.5 -11V when cranking means the battery needs replacement.

If the above issues are absent, then you can consider getting a new battery.
Old 18th October 2010, 15:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks folks, for all the quick replies. Is there any recommendation for a good technician in the Kandivali/Malad/Goregaon (West) area of Mumbai?

Otherwise I'll have the service centre guys take it - a service is due anyway (just got the SMS from Solitaire Honda to this effect).

Binand
Old 18th October 2010, 17:30   #8
BHPian

Buying a battery from the service center will cost almost 2x the price outside. The quality of the battery will be the same. You are better off getting it done outside at any decent sized battery shop.

Just check with Just dial for Amaron battery stores near your area.
CrackedHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2010, 18:04   #9
BHPian

Just forget every other battery.

If you are in the market for a new battery keep aside your purchase till you find out if you can put the battery mentioned in the link below into you car. Its the best battery barring none available in India as far as specifications go. Comparing any other battery to this is like comparing an Indica to a Veyron. There is no contest.

http://www.cumminsindia.com/cdss/pdf...ries_Final.pdf

http://www.cumminsindia.com:8080/cds...20Benefits.pdf
Old 18th October 2010, 20:22   #10

Also, do check the voltage at the terminals with the engine running, it should be about 14 volts..Just to make sure the charging system is working ok. Amongst other things I have heard, heat can kill the battery prematurely.
Old 18th October 2010, 21:31   #11
BHPian

@binand: Go to Bombay batteries in Goregaon West, link Road. Let him check the battery, and if its dead get the Amaron maint. free battery. Its pretty good, have it in my lancer for the last 8 months now.

His contact Details.

Bombay Batteries

5, Prathana, Next To HDFC ATM, Bangur Nagar, Linking Road, Goregaon West, Mumbai - 400104
Ph:02261621045

Last edited by Ripper : 18th October 2010 at 21:34.
Old 18th October 2010, 21:42   #12
BHPian

Sorry to hijack your thread Binand, but I am also facing issues with the battery of my Fiat Petra. Earlier I thought it was a starter motor issue but it turned out that battery has gone bad. It is of Exide and more then 3 years old.

My car running pattern is also same as yours. Runs mostly in the weekend.
I installed a new TATA Green DIN60 Battery which i got for Rs. 5000 (18 months replacment warranty and 6 months where one has to pay some amount)

The person who came to install the battery said that the voltage reading with only the engine running (no AC and headlights ON) is coming 13.65 to 13.7 which should be ideally around 13.8 to 14. And with the headlght and AC on its dropping below 13.65. So he says the allternator needs servicing.

Needed some advice on this issue. I will be glad if someone can help me out with it

The TATA green dealer from whom I purchased my battery is
MegaCorp Batteries
113, P P Sidhwa House, S V Road Irla, Vile Parle (W)
2226718053 / 9892665999

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2010 at 21:35. Reason: Removing FONT tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste from other softwares
Old 20th October 2010, 19:04   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If you are in the market for a new battery keep aside your purchase till you find out if you can put the battery mentioned in the link below into you car. Its the best battery barring none available in India as far as specifications go. Comparing any other battery to this is like comparing an Indica to a Veyron. There is no contest.
I m a novice on batteries and would appreciate some more elaboration on the topic.
Is this battery better than Amaron, AC-Delco et al?? Why?
Old 20th October 2010, 19:50   #14
BANNED

rikhav, take a second opinion from some other auto electrician. I have serious doubts about the advice you received.
Old 20th October 2010, 20:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My Honda Civic (2007 October, 28K km)...
My Exide OEM Battery lasted only 2.8 years, since yours is already 3 years old dump it and get a new one.

My new one is Amaron 55B24LS. Hopefully this will last longer.

Most Viewed