Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Yes, that note is sufficient on most insurance cases of minor theft / damage.
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes, that note is sufficient on most insurance cases of minor theft / damage.
Thanks for the information. Let me see if I can get that.

I just called the towing service a few minutes back. Apparently they are very occupied and told me that towing could happen only in a couple of hours and that they will call me back to note the address etc. I also called the surveyor in Tata AIG who has committed that he will survey today but gave no guarantee on time.

Lets see how it goes.
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:26   #18

svaid, in which part of New Delhi did this happen?
Raji
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcee View Post
svaid, in which part of New Delhi did this happen?
Raji
Malviya Nagar, South Delhi. As per MSM - they currently have 7 cases of ECM theft in M-800 within past 3 days.
Old 4th November 2010, 02:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
Malviya Nagar, South Delhi. As per MSM - they currently have 7 cases of ECM theft in M-800 within past 3 days.
I think since the car is going to be parked again in the same place and the car is 10 years old, is it really worth spending 14k+labour+towing charges+peace of mind on it? I would rather say find out which ECM is the correct one for your car and then just buy one from the market. Maruti unlike other car manufacturers, sells its parts in the market and you have more than one option to go for unlike other cars. Find out from the Insurance company if they are fine with you buying it from the market and then putting in a claim. In that scenario, the total expenditure would be less, you would most importantly claim a lesser amount and pay a lesser amount as well. If it was a new car then going for a new one from maruti would make sense, since issues of warranty come in. Most local mechanics nowadays can install an ECM. Since the engine is stock and the ECM is stock, it would be a plug and play situation. If you know how to connect wires up and how to put two screws, you can do it on your own as well.

Anyway its up to you to take the decision on what to do. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
I think since the car is going to be parked again in the same place and the car is 10 years old, is it really worth spending 14k+labour+towing charges+peace of mind on it?
Appreciate your input. I had also given some thought to it but somehow could not convince myself to go for ECM from outside. I was told that even ECM has multiple variants because of BS-3/4 norms etc and you might not get the exact ECM. I decided to buy peace of mind by paying extra to Maruti rather than picking one from outside for less.

The current status is that the car is with MSM. Bad part is that towing guys came 2 hours later then the commited time and as a result the insurance surveyor could not survey the car as he came before the car reached the service station.

Considering that there are holidays on account of Diwali, looks like something will happen only on Monday. The slightly relieving part was that MSM said that they had 4 ECM boxes in stock which they already used on the other cars which came with the same problem and hence anyway need to order new one that shall come by sunday/monday. So that way I guess even if surveyor would have done the job, the thing would have spilled till monday.

Regarding the FIR, I got late in the evening yesterday and could not follow up with the ASI. I will either do it today or on saturday( post Diwali )
Old 4th November 2010, 13:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am planning to call up the ASI today evening to see if something can be worked out. One query - Did your cousin have to do anything special to expedite getting the FIR OR is it just that cops took a lot of time providing the same?

Additionally I had called up the ASI a few minutes back to confirm whether I can now tow the car to the service station to which he said yes.
He had some pretty good approach from people from media. That helped hime getting things done albeit then also it took a good amount of time.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate your input. I had also given some thought to it but somehow could not convince myself to go for ECM from outside. I was told that even ECM has multiple variants because of BS-3/4 norms etc and you might not get the exact ECM. I decided to buy peace of mind by paying extra to Maruti rather than picking one from outside for less.
Since you say your car is a 2000 model it should be a BS 2 compliant car and not 3/4. On the packing of the ECM it will be mentioned for which model it is for, i.e. for BS 2,3,4. These are minor issues which could have been dealt with easily especially in Delhi. Anyway since you have made up your mind, now stick with whether good or bad.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
These are minor issues which could have been dealt with easily especially in Delhi. Anyway since you have made up your mind, now stick with whether good or bad.
Thanks for clarifying on the ECM identification. Based on your input it looks like that it would have been possible to get the right ECM from grey market.

After your posting, I was just re-evaluating my decision. Monetary point of view - I was told that 2nd hand ECM would be around 5K in Mayapuri and if I get 50% insurance, it should cost me not more than 7.5-8K + of course the no claim bonus thing.

Anyway - once I have taken the plunge let me see how it works out for me from hereon. But hopefully your post could help people who face similar situation in the future. Thanks once again.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying on the ECM identification. Based on your input it looks like that it would have been possible to get the right ECM from grey market.

After your posting, I was just re-evaluating my decision. Monetary point of view - I was told that 2nd hand ECM would be around 5K in Mayapuri and if I get 50% insurance, it should cost me not more than 7.5-8K + of course the no claim bonus thing.

Anyway - once I have taken the plunge let me see how it works out for me from hereon. But hopefully your post could help people who face similar situation in the future. Thanks once again.
Well the Grey market ones could be got for even less than 5k in the grey market. You could get a new one for about 7.5-8k and labour would have been another 200-300 Rs. if you got it done outside. Anyway as you said its done with. Do keep us posted on the developments.
Old 4th November 2010, 14:42   #26
BANNED

I am glad you did not go for the grey market. For all you know you may have bought back your own stolen unit. Also, by buying on the grey market you just encourage the burglars. I know time is critical otherwise a good spare parts dealer may have been able to source the unit at at least 20% below list.
Old 9th November 2010, 15:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

how is it doing now ? Survey done ? FIR done ? new ECM installed ?
Old 9th November 2010, 16:36   #28
BHPian

Current Status
===========

I still do not have FIR. Whenever I call the ASI, he gives some excuse and postpones it by a day. I was also not pushing since because of Diwali holidays, no work would have been possible at the workshop. Now I plan to catch him today evening.

There are I think two surveys done. One to check that the thing was stolen and other when it is installed. The first one has been done by the TATA AIG surveyor

However, the ECM part hasnt still arrived at MSM - its on the way as per them and should reach by today post afternoon
Old 9th November 2010, 19:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Dear svaid you are dealing with Delhi police, their motto is "Aapke liye Aapke Saath". Saath being the key word. So go to the local police station and spend some time unkey Saath to get your work done.

All you need is the diary note and not the FIR. The constable on duty should be able to give the same to you. If not then raise the issue with the senior officers there politely but firmly.
Old 9th November 2010, 20:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Dear svaid you are dealing with Delhi police, their motto is "Aapke liye Aapke Saath". Saath being the key word. So go to the local police station and spend some time unkey Saath to get your work done.
Good one @Khoj
I had called ASI again today evening and politely told him that everyday he is postponing only and he should give me precise time and date for the thing as this is not good. He told me that tomorrow 10 AM he will do the needful. I told him now please stick to your word - I will not go to office and stay back just for this thing. He then told me that in that case - he will call me around 9PM today and confirm the exact time.

Lets see how the story unfolds . I will keep the progress posted here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks