Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 12:18   #16
BHPian

Re: hard cluch I10 at 19000 kms

18 - 19k kilometers seems to be a popular mileage for clutch problems. I am facing the same, I realised how hard it was when I test drove a new i10 with a friend recently. My car's just touching 19000 and will be going in for a clutch analysis soon.
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:03   #17
BHPian

Re: Hard clutch i10 at 19000 kms

My friend's Hyundai i10 Sportz 1.2 Kappa has developed a strange problem all of a sudden while driving this morning. (car has 15k on the ODO. ~2 yrs old)

When started this morning everything seemed fine with the car. On the way to work stopped the car on a speed breaker as there was some oncoming traffic. When tired to move the car with the 1st gear it was not the usual pickup, unable to move the car up the speed breaker. Had to go back a bit and then move the car up the speed breaker after gaining some momentum. Since then, there is something wrong with the pickup. The pick-up is very sluggish. Had to really step on the gas to increase the acceleration to get the car to 30 kmph speed then only it was comfortable to change it to 2nd gear.
Noticed that the rpm meter was showing zero even while the car is in motion. Also heard a different engine noise while driving.

Please let me know what could be the issue and way forward.

Car is driven in that state for 4-5 Kms to reach office.
Hyundai says call on road assistance and they guess clutch issue.

(Didn't find any other suitable thread.)
Old 4th July 2013, 11:09   #18
BHPian

Hello all,

My father's i10 (with 25K Kms, 4 years old) developed the hard clutch problem and is with Hyundai service station now. The defect analysis is below. They say that the spare parts are not available and would take around 10 days to be delivered. Please let me know if he should be going ahead with the repair or take opinion from one more non-Hyundai service centre.

Quote:
Dear Sir,
We are writing this mail in response with discussion made with your father via telephonic regarding clutch related defect in your vehicle Hyundai i10 ( Plate No. XXXXX , VIN- XXXXX).

The vehicle reported with complaint of clutch pedal hard , wiper sprayer not working and wiper blade replacement.

Defect Analysis:Upon dismantling of clutch assy, observed one bolt (highlighted with red in attachment) found broken and not possible to remove release bearing shaft and fork (1 and 3 in attachment). Due to this we need replacement of "shaft complete clutch" along with Clutch Disc, Cover Assy Clutch, Clutch release bearing and cable assy clutch.

Regards,
XXXX
Hard clutch i10 at 19000 kms-kl7bk4910.jpg
Old 27th December 2013, 21:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be a generic problem with i10s. I bought a 2011 i10 in August (only 26K kms run). The clutch seemed really hard, the mileage was quite bad, and the car shuddered up slopes. Finally took it to my mechanic who diagnosed the clutch plate had become defective. Had to change the clutch plate.
Old 27th December 2013, 21:33   #20
BHPian

My i10, 2008 has done 71000 km. Developed clutch hardness, Hyundai recommended clutch replacement.

Shown at Bosch Service Centre Whitefield. They recommended Clutch cable replacement. Cost involved 750 rs. Felt like the problem was resolved, however returned with vengeance. This time it was difficult to shift gears.

Finally did the replacement, cost 6000 rs. Going on fine as of now!
Old 27th December 2013, 22:33   #21
BHPian

As most of them already pointed out please get the cable checked first before deciding on any other changes.
The next check should be the slave cylinder & master cylinder as they can jam in some occasions. Also most of the service centers are are know to foul play on changing the clutch assembly for the smallest reasons. We have a wonderful thread on all these practices and tricks by A.S.S.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 19:51   #22
BHPian

My 2012 i10 kappa2 has developed a hard clutch recently ( 18000 kms ). The gears slot in perfectly and there is no noticeable loss in power delivery. Should I check the cable first from outside before going to H.A.S.S?

Last edited by eyesice : 10th August 2014 at 19:56. Reason: Added more info
Old 10th August 2014, 20:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
My 2012 i10 kappa2 has developed a hard clutch recently ( 18000 kms ). The gears slot in perfectly and there is no noticeable loss in power delivery. Should I check the cable first from outside before going to H.A.S.S?
Check the cable ... clutch is unlikely to fail at 18k kms unless abused.
Old 1st December 2015, 16:18   #24
BHPian

My i10 Kappa2 2013 model has just done 17000 kms and developed a strange noise from the engine, which initially happened when the engine was cold and went away when the clutch was pressed. The same sound was heard on releasing the clutch again. Got it diagnosed from H.A.S.S. and they suggested releasing bearing replacement. On further diagnosis they pointed out that the pressure plates also need replacement. Got it done since I had to go urgently for a 1000km round trip. On asking them how this happened, they said that this is only possible if someone rides the clutch.

I don't ride the clutch, as they say. Also, this car is primarily used by me for commuting on good roads with sparse traffic. Out of the entire mileage, approx. 100-200 kms might have been driven in dense traffic or traffic jam. So are these factors responsible for pressure plate and release bearing replacement? Also, should I get anything else checked for avoiding this issue in future? I know that my driving habits are not bad to warrant such repair. Need advice.
Old 1st December 2015, 17:22   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguru4ever View Post
I know that my driving habits are not bad to warrant such repair. Need advice.
It's hard to imagine the clutch giving up at this low mileage, especially if driven on good roads with sparse traffic.

Maybe you were a victim of this scam ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-overhaul.html
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 23:24   #26

everyone pointed same issue but there's no definitive answer here as to what worked. Some people pointed that whole clutch assembly was changed but whether that solved the issue or not is not reported here.

Can someone who reported this issue and got it fixed respond here about the solution.

I have a used i10 at hand with very hard clutch so looking for some reference.
Old 12th December 2016, 17:42   #27

For everyone's reference, I tested the car for clutch slipping. Started it, put the car in 4 gear and slowly released the clutch and it stalled instantly so no clutch slipping here.

Took it to an FNG and his comment was its the cable. I also based on knowledge gathered from internet locked on same. Changed the cable and the clutch is lighter now. Fingers crossed. I compared it to a friend's i10 and his good clutch has identical behavior. Let's see how it unfolds.
Old 17th December 2016, 19:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneix View Post
For everyone's reference, I tested the car for clutch slipping. Started it, put the car in 4 gear and slowly released the clutch and it stalled instantly so no clutch slipping here.

Took it to an FNG and his comment was its the cable. I also based on knowledge gathered from internet locked on same. Changed the cable and the clutch is lighter now. Fingers crossed. I compared it to a friend's i10 and his good clutch has identical behavior. Let's see how it unfolds.
Glad it worked out easily for you and the culprit was just the cable. I wasn't that fortunate though and had to get the release bearing and pressure plates replaced. Clutch wasn't hard, but it gave a weird noise when the clutch was pressed. It was resolved after replacing those parts.

And it seems to be a common problem with i10's. Hope that your issue is completely resolved now.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:37   #29
BHPian

My dad's Grand i10 has done 18K KMs and there is a significant lack of power delivery when moving from standstill in 1st gear. It feels like the clutch is slipping. He took it to Hyundai service center and they claimed to have replaced the clutch plate. But the issue has now returned after a few hundred KMs. It feels really scary to drive up a slope.
Now, as the extended warranty just got over, one of the ABS sensors has also conked off, displaying the ABS warning light.
Anyone else facing similar issues with Grand i10? This is over and above the notorious brake bite issue at slow speeds.

Last edited by MSAneesh : 19th May 2017 at 12:38. Reason: updated
Old 1st April 2024, 12:26   #30

Hard clutch i10 at 19000 kms-whatsapp-image-20240401-11.53.32-1.jpeg

My Hyundai ASS said: "Clutch force meter reading more than standard actual reading is 8 to 12 kg but this is 16.7 kg"

My 2013 Grand i10 Sportz has ran 17000 kms and I don't face any gear slippage issues. I didn't notice the clutch was hard, till I drove my friend's new vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks