Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2010, 00:28   #1
BHPian

Hard clutch i10 at 19000 kms

This is for my friend, he has I10 era (santro engine) model which has done just 19000 kms and it's clutch feels very hard but there does not seem to be any slippage or loss of power as such. it does have bite at almost 1/2way and above it the pedal is free

although i have come across many i10 clutch replacements here very early but i think the problem with old angine is not there but only with kappa. Am I right?

What should be his rectification plan? I strongly believe that clutch as such is working fine and i also know service center will ask him for clutch replacement. how should he proceed to deal with problem.

Thankx in advance
Old 13th November 2010, 10:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

19k km is quite early for a clutch replacement..

Check the clutch plate for wear and tear. Often, driving habits like driving with the clutch pressed (esp. in heavy traffic congestion) can cause early wear and tear.

Probably, you can have it checked by a service center and a local mechanic and take a call..
Old 13th November 2010, 17:03   #3
BHPian

if pedal has play, it can be a loose cable too, buy you should certainly ask your friend to get it checked before getting ripped for money by H.A.S.S.

if the car has same engine as santro, i must tell you, my santro's clutch is still smooth and works fine on the original set, with 47K on odo, and lots of daily traffic run, so it should not be a manufacturing defect, but i have no idea about i10 clutch though.
Old 13th November 2010, 21:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
This is for my friend, he has I10 era (santro engine) model which has done just 19000 kms and it's clutch feels very hard but there does not seem to be any slippage or loss of power as such. it does have bite at almost 1/2way and above it the pedal is free

although i have come across many i10 clutch replacements here very early but i think the problem with old angine is not there but only with kappa. Am I right?

What should be his rectification plan? I strongly believe that clutch as such is working fine and i also know service center will ask him for clutch replacement. how should he proceed to deal with problem.

Thankx in advance
Get the same checked at the Service Centre. I had similar kind of problem which didn't surfaced when my I10 went to next Service.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:02   #5
BHPian

Is there a difference in the hardness of the pedal when the engine is switched off and when it is turned on (at idle)? If there is a noticeable change in hardness (i.e. Pedal becoming heavier after starting the car) it might be a release bearing issue.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post

although i have come across many i10 clutch replacements here very earlyt?
Are you referring to the i10 clutch replacements on the forum ( It happened for my i10 kappa ) OR in your social circle? As far as I see, few of the i10 owners on the forum faced some issue with the clutch but it was fixed by HASS without requirement of clutch replacement. Please point me to the threads if I am missing something here.

Regarding your case, what I can recommend is to first show the car to an authorizes HASS station and get their opinion. If you are not satisfied, try a different HASS to double check. If you know of any clutch experts in your area, you can get the car checked there as well. This can just help you to make sure that the diagnosis that has happened is the correct one. If you are confident that the clutch has not been abused during the 19K drive, you should point that out clearly to the HASS so that they look out for reasons apart from driving habits.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:09   #7
BHPian

Check the clutch cable, or else its the clutch assembly.
Does your friend ride on the clutch ?
Old 14th November 2010, 01:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
Are you referring to the i10 clutch replacements on the forum ( It happened for my i10 kappa ) OR in your social circle? As far as I see, few of the i10 owners on the forum faced some issue with the clutch but it was fixed by HASS without requirement of clutch replacement. Please point me to the threads if I am missing something here.

Regarding your case, what I can recommend is to first show the car to an authorizes HASS station and get their opinion. If you are not satisfied, try a different HASS to double check. If you know of any clutch experts in your area, you can get the car checked there as well. This can just help you to make sure that the diagnosis that has happened is the correct one. If you are confident that the clutch has not been abused during the 19K drive, you should point that out clearly to the HASS so that they look out for reasons apart from driving habits.
thats what i suggested, he must take a second advice before dropping the car to hyundai service, cause what i feel sometimes they suggest replacement of the unit, instead of spending a extra minutes to check properly.

I've seen many threads here where replacement of clutch plates never solved the problem and you'll never get back the money wasted, so its better to be sure before taking the leap.
Old 2nd January 2011, 02:05   #9
BHPian

Re: hard cluch I10 at 19000 kms

Even my dad's i10 kappa has the same issue, having just run for 18k kms.
He abuses the clutch plates a bit at times now because of the harder clutch but he used to drive with care when it was light.

I got the clutch cable replaced during the last service but that hasn't helped much, should I get the clutch plates and pressure plates replaced? think 18k life for a clutch is too less.
Old 2nd January 2011, 05:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Friend first check the clutch cable; in all probability it may be the culprit.
Old 2nd January 2011, 06:50   #11
BHPian

@ drsnt i would suggest your friend to get the clutch cable checked by HASS. The clutch on my i10 too was hard and after getting it checked from HASS it became a lot lighter and better.

A clutch ( burn out )problem at 19K odd KM's is quiet unlikely even in bumper to bumper traffic unless driven very badly.
Old 2nd January 2011, 07:23   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (12)

My 'irde' engine i10 driven for 22k too had 'REALLY' hard clutch. Once the clutch is engaged, it takes few sweet seconds to bounce back, it's that hard!!!! Time to change the clutch assembly I guess.
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:58   #13
BHPian

I've been observing this in my i10 Kappa (done some 27K km) for the last 2 weeks, the car was not used for a period of 3 weeks as I was travelling. At first I thought maybe I was finding the clutch hard as I had'nt driven her for a while, but the situtation only seems to be getting worse. Its still quite driveable, but the clutch is much harder than it used to be - its due for a service (30K - but mid jan as the 6 months are up then) so will get it checked out then.
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

My i10 kappa's clutch was replaced around 10k due to clutch hardness. I tried replacing the cable first but it did not help much, so the HASS replaced the clutch plates and pressure plates.
I have seen this issue more on Kappa version in the forum.
Get it checked with HASS and also do not forget to update over here, so that it helps others.
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:48   #15
BHPian

The clutch is fine if there is no slipping. Get it checked from a good service station, else they will unnecessarily ask your friend to change the whole clutch setup.
First get the clutch cable inspected and changed if necessary (may cost around 200rs).
Else the only other culprits will be the pressure plate and release bearing.

The pressure plate diaphragm may have uneven wear or maybe the release bearing needs greasing.But checking the pressure plate and release bearing will result in opening up the transmission to access the clutch setup (so get it done at A.S.S).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks