Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:03   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlights!!.

I recently had a mishap with my IKON, where a Taxi Jeep hit me and "ran". Now, the issue is that, after I got my car repaired, my headlamp leveler wont work.

I went to the A.S.S, the service advisor examined the car, and suggested that the headlights fitted(after the accident) are not technically correct for the car, and my version of IKON(2007, Flair, 1.3) requires motorized unit for the autoleveler to work. He also showed me the motor in the my damaged HL Assy.

As the indecent is covered under insurance, I asked them to change the HL Assy to technically correct ones.

Today, the Service Advisor called me and informed that the new Headlights cost 4500-a-piece(ie, 9000 for pair). . And I have to pay the remaining amount. Now,the current Headlights fit perfectly and the only issue is the Auto Headlamp leveler wont work.

So,
1. Does the car need "technically correct" Headlight Assy for auto leveler to work?.
2. And does the "technically correct" Headlights cost 9000+tax = 10000 approx a pair?. The current HL Assy cost me 2522.24 + 318.43(tax) = 2840/- (a piece)

Experts please advise.

P.S - All works have been carried out at P.V.S Ford, Calicut. Authorized Service Center (and the experience has been horrible).

@Mods: I hope this is the right section, if not, please merge/move.
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:10   #2
BHPian

1. Headlight assy. of any car model which come with headlight leveler come in two types, one with leveler motor and other without. Both look same otherwise from front when fitted. People often to save cost use without leveler. The headlight used in your car does not have any leveler motor hence cheaper.

2. Yes genuine HL with motor may cost that much.

Last edited by Hashim : 2nd December 2010 at 18:11.
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Yes headlights with level adjusters are costly. By law new vehicles need this to get registered. But for replacement there is no check and you can buy the fixed head light module if you wish to.
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes these headlight assemblies are high priced these days. I enquired for new headlights for my lancer and HM came up with a 14K price tag.
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Yes genuine HL with motor may cost that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes headlights with level adjusters are costly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Yes these headlight assemblies are high priced these days.

Oh, . Thats real bad news!..

Does someone has any idea what would be exact price of Ford OEM motorized lights. Now, if these do cost a bomb as you guys suggested, wont it be better if I go for non-OEM parts?. Will the non-OEM ones provide adequate lighting as OEM ones?. If yes, how much would they cost, and how can I source them?.

P.S - I cannot compromise on lighting as I travel a lot during the night.
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:30   #6
BHPian

It's unlikely that you'll be able to find a non-OEM motorized headlight assembly for a ford ikon. Why don't you stick to the non-motorized headlight since it seems to be working fine? Just set it once manually and forget about it. My ikon doesn't have a motorized assembly and I don't miss that feature at all. Every 6 months, I get the lights aligned properly at the service centre and it's good enough.
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:39   #7
BHPian

As Astelviz mentioned, it's actually going to be difficult to get non-OEM motorized HL's for ikon. Instead, I think it's a better idea to keep the non-motorized as they work just like the other with the exception that you can't level them from inside. But that should not be an issue if you get those focussed manually once (or do yourself, if you are a DIY type person). After which, getting the focussing checked every year or so should be okay and that applies to the motorized one's as well since the motor works only up / down and not left / right. So if it's me, and I am having to pay from the pocket, I won't worry about the non-motorized, as they just do the same job.

BTW - since you got the repairs done at Ford A.S.S, don't you think you should ask them why they fitted these HL's when your car needed motorized? That way, it would have been covered in insurance then and there itself.

Cheers!
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Why don't you stick to the non-motorized headlight since it seems to be working fine?
Somehow, I feel that the non motorized unit lacks adequate lighting. I'm not sure if its entirely due to wrong focusing. Also, now I'm running 90/100 Philips Rally, where as, earlier I was running on stock Headlights. Still, they fail to match earlier lighting.

Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlights!!.-current-focus.jpg

Current Focus.

Name:  Earlier Focus.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  9.1 KB

Earlier Focus.

Old 20th December 2010, 15:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: HELP!!..Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlight

Update: Got my Focus corrected, and also, I have decided to go with the non-motorized unit. Didn't find any worth for the extra money I shell out for the motorized one.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 20th December 2010, 16:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: HELP!!..Dealer quoting astronomical amount for technically correct IKON headlight

A bit OT, the motorized headlight for Alto (800 cc) costs only under 4.5K for a pair. So I assume the motor is not that expensive, only the Car-Brand is.
Old 20th December 2010, 22:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Cost of new headlight of our cheapest car 800 is 3200 per piece. The plastic clear glass wala.

However there is a solution. DK MAX (a lumax brand) is very cheap. It comes without the motor. Its the actual what maruti uses but sold by DK max outside as replacement parts.

I had installed the the clear glass in old 800 and it costed me 2200 for a pair.

So i think you can get hold of your headlight outside of A.S.S. easily.
Old 21st December 2010, 00:49   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
However there is a solution. DK MAX (a lumax brand) is very cheap.
I've heard that the DK MAX(Yes.. the lumax one) ones gets faded quickly?
Old 21st December 2010, 00:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yes, headlights do cost a bomb. One of my earlier cars, Santro had met with a minor accident once, where the headlight assembly got damaged a bit, and the cost of replacment was approx 3.5k

And headlamp leveler function needs a motorized unit to work
Old 21st December 2010, 10:02   #14
BHPian

Hi Danush,
If both the levelling motors are good, then it should be possible mount the levelling motors inside the non-motorised HL unit. The outer casing and fitting procedures would commonized if both the lamps are of the same make.
Once after a minor accident in my dad's Ikon, the part connecting the reflector with the levelling motor got borken. I had to dissect whole of the lamp assembly, glue the broken plastic part with Araldite, and seal the unit back with silicone gel. If you have the time and really lot of patience to do this, you may dissect and check for the compatability of the levelling motor into the new HL set.

Last edited by ilangop : 21st December 2010 at 10:05.
Old 21st December 2010, 10:19   #15
BHPian

Recently I got the headlamp of my SX-4 replaced at a cost of Rs. 2863/-. The plastic mount cracked after the car hit a dog. I lost the fog lamp too, which costed Rs. 978/-.

These are the prices for MGP replacements. I generally find Maruti parts are generally cheaper.

Murthy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks