Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2011, 03:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift DDIS - EGR disabling. EDIT W-I-P PICS on Pg 3

I'm hooked! I had asked about this earlier (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-system-2.html) for my Getz CRDi, but it never progressed much. Good to see soem DIY work in progress. Will get to my Getzy when I don't know when, put this is surely in the pipe!
Old 27th June 2011, 13:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

Any experience with blanking off the EGR on petrol vehicles? Most of the discussion seems to be on diesel.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:27   #63
Senior - BHPian

So it is more then 6 months after last post from Jomz where he provided link to his SAE paper.

Any update on the progress DIY Guru and Kulvindir Singh ?

I think by this times job should have been done and measurable results available.

Last edited by amitk26 : 27th June 2011 at 14:33.
Old 28th June 2011, 09:52   #64
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I blocked the EGR inlet into the intake manifold using an aluminium blanking plate. Decided to do this since I had removed the catcon on my car few months back and did not want to pass the exhaust into the intake manifold. No change in performance noticed.
Before the EGR was blocked, I had done the emission check (as I had not done after the catcon was removed). The CO levels have gone up but still within permissible range. Need to see if EGR blocking changes anything

Last edited by dinu2506 : 28th June 2011 at 09:55.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 11:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Yesterday, I blocked the EGR inlet into the intake manifold using an aluminium blanking plate. Decided to do this since I had removed the catcon on my car few months back and did not want to pass the exhaust into the intake manifold. No change in performance noticed.
Before the EGR was blocked, I had done the emission check (as I had not done after the catcon was removed). The CO levels have gone up but still within permissible range. Need to see if EGR blocking changes anything
All this blocking thing and subsequent debate was about performance so if performance is not improved why to block ?

EGR is mainly a nitrogen oxide reduction device so you should monitor NOx level and not CO.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
All this blocking thing and subsequent debate was about performance so if performance is not improved why to block ?

EGR is mainly a nitrogen oxide reduction device so you should monitor NOx level and not CO.
I was not linking CO to EGR, I just said since the catcon was removed the CO levels had increased and I did not want to let this in to the intake manifold through the EGR - hence blocked it, not for performance gains. I now need to check what is the impact on NOx emissions.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was not linking CO to EGR, I just said since the catcon was removed the CO levels had increased and I did not want to let this in to the intake manifold through the EGR - hence blocked it, not for performance gains. I now need to check what is the impact on NOx emissions.
Pardon my ignorance but usually the Catcon is much after in foodchain .. I mean in my Safari catcon is nearer to tail pipe and EGR always recirculate the gases before Catcon so it should not make any difference.

Is the Catcon placed before EGR in Swift DDIS , If not then removal of catcon should not make any difference from stock.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:31   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance but usually the Catcon is much after in foodchain .. I mean in my Safari catcon is nearer to tail pipe and EGR always recirculate the gases before Catcon so it should not make any difference.

Is the Catcon placed before EGR in Swift DDIS , If not then removal of catcon should not make any difference from stock.
In the Civic, the catcon is right at the exit of the exhaust manifold and the EGR is after this. Not sure in the Swift though.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 11:35   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the Civic, the catcon is right at the exit of the exhaust manifold and the EGR is after this. Not sure in the Swift though.
Thanks for the info , Seeing the thread title I assumed it is swift.

If possible please check the CO and NOx level with both EGR closed and open. As the function of EGR is to lower the temperature and CO is not loose carbon and non-combustible gas I think it should not create any issue but others may clarify.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks