Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 13:18   #76
CPH
BHPian

Re: Aspects of designing an Air Intake Revision

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Wow. Just stumbled on this thread. So Air Intake Revision is a combination of air intake placement and plumbing plus a non-OEM air filter?

Will it be possible to do the same in a Civic? As you might know, the current civic sucks air from a snorkel next to the battery. From there it goes to the resonator box placed below the battery, then upwards to the air filter box. The system is designed to reduce engine noise at low RPM and increase engine note to sporty tunes at high RPM. But the convoluted air passage means loss of engine performance as folks have found out after hacking away the resonator box. Can we improve the current system by AIR?
Yes, it can improved. The pick up point next to the battery is a rather fashionable design feature. Why, I have no clue. It is not even cheaper to design it this way. It definitively does not allow to pick up maximum amount of air in relation the the air intake. The whole system needs to be un-clattered and correctly re=designed. Only drawback will be increased but sporty noise. This will be pronounced on full throttle/load.
Old 12th July 2011, 14:53   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will it be possible to do the same in a Civic?
Hi dot,

Infact, I think civic is one those cars in which, one can bring a drastic change with a sensibly designed CAI. It has too many bends and too lengthy in stock form.

- Dhanush
Old 12th July 2011, 23:18   #78
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Yes, it can improved.
It definitively does not allow to pick up maximum amount of air in relation the the air intake. The whole system needs to be un-clattered and correctly re=designed. Only drawback will be increased but sporty noise. This will be pronounced on full throttle/load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Infact, I think civic is one those cars in which, one can bring a drastic change with a sensibly designed CAI. It has too many bends and too lengthy in stock form.
Agree, can you help me on this regard. I am keen to unclutter the air intake and make some positive changes. I can hack off the pipe next to the resonator and add a funnel to suck in air from the fog lamp dam. But that will be so amateur as it will be without any scientific basis.
Old 13th July 2011, 12:41   #79
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Agree, can you help me on this regard. I am keen to unclutter the air intake and make some positive changes. I can hack off the pipe next to the resonator and add a funnel to suck in air from the fog lamp dam. But that will be so amateur as it will be without any scientific basis.
Let me put it this way, whether scientific or not anything you change will make it perform better.

I will happily help you. Best is that you send me some pictures. Then I can compare it with the same chassis over here (engine might be different over here).

The one thing I would advise you to be careful is using the fog lamp dam for 2 reasons.

1. Monsoon can kill the engine

2. It is not necessarily a turbulence free zone nor a high pressure zone, which could lead to starvation.
CPH is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks