Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 00:02   #16

Question on Skoda Yeti tyre inflation pressure

Hello Everyone,

Nice to be here on Team-BHP !

I did go through the article:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...re-advice.html

However, I feel my question is slightly different and have therefore posted it here.

I took delivery of my 2011 Skoda Yeti Elegance MT 2.0 CRDI (red) on 21st February, 2011, from TAFE ACCESS LIMITED. Bangalore. During the handover, I asked about the tyre inflation pressure. The technician there told me "30" for all tyres. Well, the car was new and the ride was very comfortable, so I assumed that the tyre was properly inflated (it looked alright from the outside too).

I did a Bangalore-Chennai trip last week. On the return trip, I checked the tyre pressure (cold) before leaving Chennai. I was taken aback to find that each tyre was inflated to a pressure of 50 PSI ! That too when the maximum pressure rating printed on the rubber is 51 PSI !

The recommendation on the inside of the fuel lid said 2.2 bar (32 PSI), but I was not sure if brand new tyres were supposed to be inflated to a higher pressure or something like that (which is why I have now joined Team-BHP) - nevertheless, 50 PSI didn't feel right, and I deflated to 40 PSI and drove all the way back to Bangalore. I felt that the drive was not as smooth as on the way to Chennai.

Now, I have the following questions:

1. Could any significant damage have occured to the tyres, considering that they were used at speeds of 120+ kmph for extended periods of time, on a fairly hot day ?

2. Even at 40 PSI, the car felt a little low (closer to the ground) and also sluggish, compared to 50 PSI. I would only feel worse at 30 PSI. I am afraid that this might be because the tyres may have undergone a permanent plastic deformation (or is it just my imagination ?). Should I henceforth still follow the recommended 32 PSI all round given this new fact ?

3. At 30 PSI, the engine seems to be weighing down much on the front tyres, and they look compressed. Should I therefore settle on 35 PSI, as a compromise between what is recommended and what I feel comfortable with ?

Thank you all in advance for you time and opinions,

Krishna
Old 12th March 2011, 10:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti - Tyre Pressure Advice

I suspect a malfunctioning pressure meter. My fear is that the 50psi that showed on the meter was actually maybe 35psi and when you deflated using that meter to 40psi, maybe it is now 25psi which probably can explain the sluggishness. I recommend you go to a good place with a reliable meter and lay your doubts to rest. And don't worry, I dont think there could be any permanent damage to the tyres.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2011, 15:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Question on Skoda Yeti tyre inflation pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriverkumar View Post

... I was taken aback to find that each tyre was inflated to a pressure of 50 PSI ! That too when the maximum pressure rating printed on the rubber is 51 PSI ! ..
Showroom's are known to deliver vehicles with over inflated tyres.

Quote:
1. Could any significant damage have occured to the tyres, considering that they were used at speeds of 120+ kmph for extended periods of time, on a fairly hot day ?
Relax!. Apart from the fact that the tyres must have shed a decent amount of tread, there should be no immediate threat.

Quote:
2. Even at 40 PSI, the car felt a little low (closer to the ground) and also sluggish, compared to 50 PSI. I would only feel worse at 30 PSI. I am afraid that this might be because the tyres may have undergone a permanent plastic deformation (or is it just my imagination ?). Should I henceforth still follow the recommended 32 PSI all round given this new fact ?

3. At 30 PSI, the engine seems to be weighing down much on the front tyres, and they look compressed. Should I therefore settle on 35 PSI, as a compromise between what is recommended and what I feel comfortable with ?
Go to a reliable tyre shop and stick to manufacture recommended pressures.
Old 14th March 2011, 01:23   #19

Hi !

Thank you for your inputs/suggestions.

I got the cold (well almost cold) pressure checked at a Goodyear outlet today in Bangalore. It showed 43 PSI uniform on all tyres (previously filled to 40 PSI, in Chennai) !

I have reduced the pressures now to 35 PSI all-round to see how it feels for a few days. Maybe I will go lower to 32.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks a ton.

Krishna
Old 5th May 2011, 04:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I have heard dealers suggesting 28-30 pressure even on superb.
I agree with invinsible, all laura/superb owners fill 30/32psi max, 30psi is reccomended by the skoda dealers in mumbai for both the laura & superb..

Cheers..
Old 6th December 2011, 19:25   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

To re-open this thread for a bit. My LittleBigFoot came with 32 PSI all round. I am maintaining the same as of now.
Of course the Yeti has these nice soft GoodYear Excellence tyres and I have been used to Bridgestone Duelers these last several years so I guess I have been in a sense, de-sensitized and am therefore greatly appreciating the comfortable, softer ride provided by these more car-like tyres!
Old 6th December 2011, 20:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
To re-open this thread for a bit. My LittleBigFoot came with 32 PSI all round. I am maintaining the same as of now.
Of course the Yeti has these nice soft GoodYear Excellence tyres and I have been used to Bridgestone Duelers these last several years so I guess I have been in a sense, de-sensitized and am therefore greatly appreciating the comfortable, softer ride provided by these more car-like tyres!
I too have resorted to 32 front/34 rear psi for my Yeti. It appears comfortable at this tyre pressure setting. The manual/placard of course is ambiguous as has been mentioned in earlier posts.
Old 6th April 2012, 20:32   #23

Maintaining a pressure of 30psi all around shall definitely make the drive more comfortable compared to 32psi or more. The increased road grip / friction and improved handling comes at the cost of a lower FE. Personally I prefer 32psi on all four as I enjoy a sportier, stiff suspension to the other cheesy variety with the added benifit of a ridiculously high FE on my Sasquatch. A befitting ownership review is long overdue to felicitate my monster. Rightly said by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame that it's all the car that one needs.
Old 13th April 2012, 20:42   #24
BANNED

Given the beastly roads of Bangalore I ve started out on 34 PSI all round. This certainly helps eat up the wicked bumps and lateral trenches and potholes and suchlike.
Lovely car. Very soft tyres - poor things will get shredded to bits in 2 years of my kind of usage in Bangalore, Highways, Ooty, Coorg etc. Need to find alternatives that are far tougher.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

I had geolander HT tyres of the same size on my new yeti. And I have filled 32 psi on all 4 tyres. However, especially on the front ones, I feel the pressure need to go a bit more, as they looks like the engine is weighing down on the tyres with a slightly bulging bottom (looks under inflated). Believing that the HT tyres are much tougher than the stock ones and, am I right in thinking higher psi, say about 35 won't hurt?
Old 7th July 2012, 09:55   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
I had geolander HT tyres of the same size on my new yeti. And I have filled 32 psi on all 4 tyres. However, especially on the front ones, I feel the pressure need to go a bit more, as they looks like the engine is weighing down on the tyres with a slightly bulging bottom (looks under inflated). Believing that the HT tyres are much tougher than the stock ones and, am I right in thinking higher psi, say about 35 won't hurt?
Go 34. It works for me with my stock OEM tyres.
Old 7th July 2012, 20:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Go 34. It works for me with my stock OEM tyres.
I bumped up to 35 on the front and 34 on the rears today. Let me see how the ride is in the next few days
Old 19th July 2012, 13:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
I bumped up to 35 on the front and 34 on the rears today. Let me see how the ride is in the next few days
Hi iTNerd

Any feedback ? Eagerly watching this thread for inputs before I switch to geolanders

Thnx.
Old 19th July 2012, 14:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz View Post
Hi iTNerd

Any feedback ? Eagerly watching this thread for inputs before I switch to geolanders

Thnx.
Both Me and iTNerd switched over to Geolander. I now have ran more than 700 kms on these tyres. Few pointers which should help
a. My requirement was to have a tyre to take my vehicle anywhere (i do a few highway trips with not so good roads). Geo seems to be perfect fit of allround performance. I also wanted my tyres to live longer as we all have heard that the stocks gives in by 20-25k
b. In normal city driving, one can sticks with road tyres with softer compund. (less tyre and road noise). However the day i switched from stock one, i found geo to be more silent than stock. (i was ready for more tyre noise, since i find yeti to be much more silent then my previous safari )
c. Handling: I didn't find any noticeable difference in handling. However i feel that cornering with greater speed with stock one was better.

Last edited by abbey4u : 19th July 2012 at 14:25.
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 09:09   #30
BHPian

So guys after searching high and low looks like will have to settle for Yokohama C drives as essentially these are the only one available in stock size with very few of the dealers I have checked with. Will probably go in for a change immediately post delivery so still have a day or two. Thank you all for your valuable suggestions and feedback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks