Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2010, 17:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Gauge Accuracy - How reliable is it?

i thought that is the way the fuel levels were supposed to work. I think i read somewhere that the scale is logarathimic(exponential) rather linear... I can safely say how many kilometers the car will go on in the 800 and ikon. In the ikon the fuel gauge can go about 2 millimeters below the E mark and still run.
Old 18th December 2010, 18:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

You need to get used to the needle position, for eg. in a Safari, low fuel lamp will start glowing slightly earlier than it reaches red mark but you can be sure that you will run no more than 10ltr of fuel mileage with that glowing and might finish even before it reaches the "E" mark". I had taken it down to as low as 5ltrs and while filling it up, the attendent was surprised that it was almost empty.

Whereas in a Santro, you can be sure it can go beyond the "E" mark without any problem.
Old 18th December 2010, 20:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Fuel Gauge of our Indigo XL Grand Dicor can run for minimum 10-15 kms after the Fuel Gauge Needle reaches the "E" Mark.

The Low Fuel Warning Lamp glows when the Needle reaches the Red Mark.

The Fuel Gauge of our Indigo LS (IDI) is not that accurate.

I managed to Empty the Fuel Pump when the Fuel Needle showed "Mid" of Red Mark and that too on a Highway (not a Ghat).
Old 18th December 2010, 21:02   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
I guess newer generation swift comes with low fuel warning light, My friend owns a Swift which was bought about 4 years ago and it lacks that feature.
Mine was bought 3 years & 6 months ago.
Old 18th December 2010, 21:12   #20
BHPian

guys, any feedback on i10 fuel guage's accuracy? what is the actual reserve capacity? The manual says 5 lits but suspect it could be more.
Old 20th December 2010, 05:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Mine was bought 3 years & 6 months ago.
Strange, will this be due to LXI and VXI variant difference??
My friend had LXI and I am pretty sure it doesn't has one.
Old 20th December 2010, 08:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

I had always doubted the reliability of the fuel gauge in my Fiesta since most of the times I found the guage to following the DTE. Whenever the DTE shoots up the needle is up and vice versa.

I had even written a mail to Ford regarding the same and enquired whether there is one level float switch which operates both the indicators. Although did not get any response from Ford, but the dealer technician (again an assumption) stated that there is only one float level switch which operated the fuel gauge and send the signals to the DTE for further calculations.
Old 20th December 2010, 09:21   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I had always doubted the reliability of the fuel gauge in my Fiesta since most of the times I found the guage to following the DTE. Whenever the DTE shoots up the needle is up and vice versa.

I had even written a mail to Ford regarding the same and enquired whether there is one level float switch which operates both the indicators. Although did not get any response from Ford, but the dealer technician (again an assumption) stated that there is only one float level switch which operated the fuel gauge and send the signals to the DTE for further calculations.
Assuming DTE means Distance to Empty - how else could it operate?
Old 20th December 2010, 09:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Assuming DTE means Distance to Empty - how else could it operate?
Yes DTE means Distance to Empty and displays the value calulated by a program based on various inputs such as fuel level, speed, gradient, braking factors etc. Therefore assuming that DTE value moves with the fuel gauge needle means that rest of the factors are almost constant which is highly unlikely.

As per the DTE FAQ which was sent by Ford, it says the DTE calculation is based more on the previous 500 km run rather than the present drive. So if I were to do highway drive after tank fill then the next time I go for tank fill the DTE values would be substantially higher. Which I can confirm.
Old 20th December 2010, 09:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
guys, any feedback on i10 fuel guage's accuracy? what is the actual reserve capacity? The manual says 5 lits but suspect it could be more.
The i10 (Kappa 1.0) as you know, is in 4 quarters.

I have been on two 400km drives in last two months, and I have observed the following:

3/4th mark : fills 9.30 ltrs (to tank full)
1/2 mark: fills 15~19 ltrs (to tank full)
1/4th mark: fills 24.30 ltrs (to tank full)

It approx runs 110~140 km per quarter of fuel gauge (never tried the last quarter yet).

Its been pretty consistent till now.

What's your observation MutantX?

care,

Ace.

O.T. @ govigov,
I remember, from "Seinfeld" a crazy character "Kramer" once talks a Car Sales guy into an "adventure" where he wants to test how far the car car can go, when the guel gauge goes below "E"

Last edited by driverace : 20th December 2010 at 09:54.
Old 20th December 2010, 13:51   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I had this strange issue in my ikon once. With fuel bar reading at slightly less than a quarter tank, I managed to run out of fuel!
I believe the IKON's fuel guage is known to get stuck at quarter level.

Quote:
The smaller yet significant things
  • Known fuel gauge problem. Indicator stays stuck on 1/4 level even when the fuel tank runs dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
.. and make a habit of filling it with Oddo reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You need to get used to the needle position
Yes, I think each car has its own calibration of fuel guage, and you need to get used to it.

My IKON's guage drops slowly from the Full to half, but more rapidly from half to empty, and moreover the car runs for about 100kms from the 'Empty' point. This is different for different cars.
Old 20th December 2010, 14:03   #27
BHPian

Figo's indicator is controlled by DTE figures. I had posted earlier about this in a Figo thread. In fact I had driven after DTE and needle showing '0' . I have seen the guage moving up and down when DTE gets recalculated.
Old 20th December 2010, 14:52   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I've never yet had a car with a digital fuel guage, but all the dial guages I have known have been consistent one respect: they seem to think that the first half of the tank is much bigger than the second half!
Old 20th December 2010, 14:56   #29
BANNED

Hariya's (Scorpio CRDe) Fuel gauge is pretty accurate for 70% of the time.

However, when the tank is full, it goes beyond the F mark and when it drops below the half mark, there is around 8 litres of fuel less than the half mark in the vehicle.

I have never driven him till empty/far below the red mark so I cannot comment. The VMS though, is very accurate and reminds at the right moment.
Old 20th December 2010, 14:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

The fuel gauge needle in my old Santro was very reliable. Never had any issue, when there was not even DTE in it. I guess adding DTE has increased the confusion as to which one is reliable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks