Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2010, 15:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fuel Gauge Accuracy - How reliable is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Figo's indicator is controlled by DTE figures. I had posted earlier about this in a Figo thread. In fact I had driven after DTE and needle showing '0' . I have seen the guage moving up and down when DTE gets recalculated.
Its the other way round. The DTE is calculated by measuring how much fuel (fuel gauge) is left in tank and average mileage.

Last edited by dhanushs : 20th December 2010 at 15:19.
Old 20th December 2010, 15:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Yes DTE means Distance to Empty and displays the value calulated by a program based on various inputs such as fuel level, speed, gradient, braking factors etc. Therefore assuming that DTE value moves with the fuel gauge needle means that rest of the factors are almost constant which is highly unlikely.
Ghodlur, either you are confused or I am.

Because that is how DTE is supposed to work. It is just coverting the fuel remaining in the tank into KMs. So DTE is supposed to be changing with fuel gauge.

Say for example: My trip odo (which i reset at every fuel top up) + DTE readings for city drives are as follows:

Fuel gauge at

1/6 - DTE+trip ODO= 750 kms
1/3- 820 kms
1/2- 800
2/3- 770
5/6-740
Empty- 750

These readings however would go up if I go on a highway trip.

If you are saying your DTE remains constant for all the cases of b2b, city and highway driving conditions then that is different issue, which means the DTE calculation is wrong which has got nothing to do with the fuel gauge anyway!

Edit: All the figures are for Figo TDCi which has a tank capacity of 45 liters!

Last edited by anilisanil : 20th December 2010 at 15:13.
Old 20th December 2010, 22:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

My OHC VTEC has a 45ltr tank, but when the tank is half empty, the car has only consumed 18.5ltrs (not 22.5). The 4ltr diff is prob due to the reserve.

Shan2nu
Old 10th August 2012, 15:50   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a new Pulsar 180 8 days ago and had fuelled it up to the brim on the 1st day itself(ODO reading at tank-ful was 25 km). After that I have covered almost 400 kms(current ODO reading 415 kms) and the digital fuel gauge bar has gone down by 1 bar/stick. Is something wrong here? Shouldn't the gauge below way below half-mark?

Expecting inputs and suggestions.
Old 10th August 2012, 17:38   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Expecting inputs and suggestions.
Hi Ashis, not all fuel gauges are calibrated to perfection. It depends on a lot of factors, like location of float, etc..etc..

In your case, most probably, after some more driving, the bars will come down sooner than expected. ie, half bar down, does not really mean half tank.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 21:22   #36

Are The Fuel Gauges Accurate?

Mod team note: Please use Search before opening new thread. Thanks.

Hi guys,

Is the fuel gauge digital or analogue, actually give an accurate reading of the fuel level or just a rough estimation. I will tell u about my experience....i have an igen i20 magna(o) petrol, many times i have fueled up when the low fuel warning came on, the needle points to the very last white marking. When i top it up for 1000 rupees,ie 12.4 liters the needle shows almost half tank. Now i20 has a 45 lit tank so half tank is 22.5 lit and not 12.4 lit. I have shown this to the hyundai A.S.S guys but they say its normal and nothing to worry about.

Are they correct and am i unnecessarily worrying or there is something wrong.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2014 at 21:37.
Old 16th April 2014, 22:08   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drayan_idc View Post
When i top it up for 1000 rupees,ie 12.4 liters the needle shows almost half tank. Now i20 has a 45 lit tank so half tank is 22.5 lit and not 12.4 lit. I have shown this to the hyundai A.S.S guys but they say its normal and nothing to worry about.

Are they correct and am i unnecessarily worrying or there is something wrong.
Level does vary with ground on which the car is. Flat ground gives the best readings.

Full tank is 45 litres as per manual, from the day you have bought this car, how many times have you done a 'full tank' and NOT Rs 1000 fill-up?

See as far as I know and with my little experience, I will try and explain:

The Ritz has a 43 litres tank capacity as per manual but when filled in reality 'Auto-Cut Off' comes up at 38 litres so a gap of 5 litres. So logically half tank is 16 litres.

Now manufacturers give that gap as fuel expands and pressure builds up inside the tank as and when the vehicle moves, environmental factors to be considered.

So the fuel gauge displayed is almost (90-95%) accurate but with experience one should understand what is the account if fuel left inside. Always full only till auto cut-off and not above as it will leak when vehicle moves so your wasting money.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 13:09   #38
BHPian

Reviving an old thread.

Recently after posting on the fuel efficiency thread, it has been eating me that even though I tank up almost 99% of the time I fuel my car the fuel gauge behaves erratically every time. My ride is a 2017 Hyundai Creta Petrol Manual.

Instance 1: The low fuel warning light is on and I have driven a little bit with it on. I fill up till auto cutoff and she takes about 50 ltrs of petrol. I proceed on a highway trip (Dual carriageway in Kerala with lot of traffic). The first bar drops after about 180 kms and then each bar drops in regular intervals of about 35 kms.

Instance 2: The low fuel warning light is on and I proceed to the fuel pump. I fill up and she takes about 45 ltrs till auto cutoff. Now again only highway trips but not a long one but 60 kms trips per day. Four lane divided highway with almost no traffic (lock down). On second day and half way through one bar disappears. Reading on the trip meter 85 kms. Now 20-30 kms is understandable but a drop of 100 kms? My driving style is still the same.

Now I wanted to ask that is the auto cutoff entirely reliable, as if, does it cuts off at the same level each time or does that also vary?

P.S.: The last time, i.e., before instance 2, my tankful to tankful method gave me a FE of about 16 kmpl which is again too good to be true for Petrol Creta.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks