Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 20:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift - Work started!

Ok, thanks a lot to all those who provided their invaluable suggestions and advice. The work on my Swift has started in earnest from yesterday. The list of jobs to be done prima facie looks like this -
  • Clutch assembly replacement (Done)
  • Flywheel replacement (Done)
  • Front Suspension - Throw out everything and replace with new (WIP)
  • Rear Suspension - Throw out everything and replace with new
  • Radiator Cap - Replace (Thanks a ton to johnruben and lamborghini)
  • Radiator and all hoses - Repair/overhaul
  • AC Compressor - Overhaul and gas recharge
  • Windshield - Replacement
I'll keep you guys posted as and when there are any new developments.

Cheers,
R_S
Old 4th January 2011, 21:02   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333

roadie, Our Swifts could be twins! Vxi of March 2006 vintage.

Only difference is I inherited mine from another owner at around 30K km. And I am at much lower overall distance covered at 56K.

I have had to make the following changes in 2010:
- Airconditioning overhaul (complete)- cost about 3500/- in February
- New shoes (Yoko A drives on 14 inch alloys) around Diwali. Cost 30K! My JK Tornados were like rocks when I finally ditched them. And my baby looks so much prettier now! No regrets.
- Battery change (OEM conked out on the coldest day of the year)- December.

Apart from this, regularly service the car every 10K km/6 months. Resolutely refuse to buy into MASS' insistence that I need a new clutch- am determined to hold out till 80K before bothering with that. Clutch is a little hard but nothing I can't handle.

Suspension is fine, if you ask me. On the stiffer side for sure, and I get groans from tall people if they're ever in the back seat. My low-cost solution is to keep them in the passenger seat! Having suffered through the ownership of a low GC/soft supsension Hyundai Accent, I prefer it this way- keeps the car safe!

I don't have any rattles and grunts that worry me, so maybe my own 5th birthday gift to my baby would be to take her to a chop shop and get rid of the ugly dents and scratches on the bumpers and sides. Any idea how much this would cost?
Old 5th January 2011, 01:27   #18
BHPian

@ roadie_swift, Hey great work there.... Swift is always a Swift
I am happy you are not considering selling it, just like you, even mine means a lot to me, but my usage is way too less, mine has clocked 35k in last 4yrs and now usage has gone down to 50-100km per month because of fuel price killing everyone here in Bangalore.

Regarding overheating, Radiator flush should solve your issue, however keep an eye on Temperature meter for few days post service. Happy Revving on this New Year
Old 12th January 2011, 11:38   #19
BHPian

Re: Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift - Work almost done!!

Hi All,

Just an update. Work is almost finished on refurbishing my 5-yr old Swift.

We are through with the mechanicals, with even the overheating part taken care of.

Even though I had said this in the first post -
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
I'd love to get alloys, (I'm in stone-age, I run on bad ol' steel wheels ) but I don't think my limited budget would allow that, and my preference is skewed towards bettering the mechanical aspects than visual ones.
- I have gone the whole hog, and finally got a nice set of alloys.

Also, I committed the cardinal sin of visiting the ICE section here, and got looted in the process . I ended up changing everything in my ICE setup except the JBL Amp and SW.

Alloys fitting and other minor work will be finished today, and hopefully I will be able to post a more detailed report tonight or tomorrow, with pics, model numbers and prices.

Cheers,
R_S

Last edited by roadie_swift : 12th January 2011 at 11:44.
Old 12th January 2011, 12:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

@Roadie_Swift

What is the final amount that you ended up spending as part of your swifts birthday treat.

It takes a bold step to refurbish your car when the car market is so open now. I will be very tempted to exchange the car and get a new one after 5 years. But i can perfectly understand your attachment towards the car.

Congrats and please post some pictures of the car. Looking forward.
Old 12th January 2011, 12:39   #21
BHPian

Re: Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift - Work almost done!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
What is the final amount that you ended up spending as part of your swifts birthday treat.

Congrats and please post some pictures of the car. Looking forward.
Hey thanks, VW2010. The total expense has been in the range of 90k.

I will update either tonight or tomorrow with pics, prices and all other details.

Cheers,
R_S
Old 13th January 2011, 12:03   #22
BHPian

@Abhijeet - Congrats on your new old car. The Swift surely will be rocking now. Need to see your car first hand and experience the ICE as well. I am dying to upgrade mine. Lets catch up over the weekend if time permits.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 13th January 2011, 12:07   #23
BHPian

JBL X333 - Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift!!

Hi All,

I had a separate thread going in Tech Stuff, about the fifth birthday gift I had planned for my Swift. The link is as below -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ggestions.html

But, while going through the suggestions for refurbishment of the car, a stray thought prompted me to browse the ICE section here. Just casually, mind you!

And I paid the price for it.

I ended up replacing almost my entire ICE setup, apart from the Amp and SW.

So, here are the details of the final setup inside my car. I do not understand much about these things, so please do let me know if I need to post any further details.

All the work was done at Poona Motors, Pune, who had also installed my first audio setup which had served me so well for the last five years.
  • HU - JBL GT-X333 (Amazing sound, I'm glad I got it, and that too at a fabulous price point. Congrats to JBL!) - Final Price 4000/-
  • Front Speakers - Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5" 2-way Components - Final Price 8000/-
  • Rear Speakers - Infinity 9633i 6"x9" - Final Price 6350/-
  • Amp (JBL 2 ch, Installed earlier, I do not have the model #) - Retained from old setup
  • Woofer (JBL Bass Tube, Installed earlier, I do not have the model #) - Retained from old setup
  • Damping - Dynamat on front doors and boot lid (4 sheets in all) - Final Price 4000/-
  • MDF Parcel Tray - Final Price 1350/-
  • Front MDF Spacer Rings - Final Price 850/-
That makes the total outlay on ICE of Rs. 24550/-

I have appended some photographs below. The performance of the entire setup is dramatically different from the earlier one, especially regarding the front sound stage. Since this is the first time I have Tweeters installed, am enjoying them to the fullest.

Regarding JBL X-333, again my congrats to JBL. The thing I like the most about it is the SIMPLE user interface, which is all about understated elegance. No ugly bright blue-green lights here!! Sound quality is really good, but since I changed a lot of the parts in the ICE setup in one go, it is not possible for me to identify the exact degree of difference between the X-333 and my earlier Pioneer HU.

Just one query, my earlier Pioneer HU offered a low/med/hi setting for LOUD menu. Does the X-333 have this? I can't seem to find it. The setting the JBL HU has is just LOUD on/off - and the difference is a tad too much for my liking. i.e. when the LOUD is off, it (the bass especially) is too softened, and when I switch the LOUD option to on, it become too loud, to the point of the Bass sounding hollow because of the reverb.

That's about it till now. But now that I have been bitten by the ICE bug, I've already started thinking about having an Amp for the front/rear speakers as well as upgrading the SW.

Will come back to all you Gurus for suggestions then.

Cheers,
R_S
Attached Thumbnails
Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8366.jpg  

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8377.jpg  

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8378.jpg  

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8379.jpg  

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8383.jpg  

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8384.jpg  

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8385.jpg  

Old 13th January 2011, 12:11   #24
BHPian

Re: Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift - Work Completed!

Hi All,

Work has finally been completed on my Swift. Details and photographs as below -

Mechanicals - (Total Expense Rs. 39,800/-)
  • Radiator flush and leakage removal
  • Thermostat valve replaced
  • Engine Scan
  • AC Condenser overhaul
  • Gear Box overhaul
  • Clutch Assembly replaced - Clutch plate, pressure plate, bearings
  • Flywheel replaced
  • Suspension -
    • Front lower arms replaced
    • Front struts, tie-rod ends and connecting rods replaced
    • Steering ball joints replaced
    • Rear telescopic shocks replaced, coil spring retained
    • Rear wheel bearings replaced
  • Brakes -
    • Rear cylinders assembly replaced
    • Front brake pads replaced
  • Servicing -
    • All fluids replaced
    • Oiling and greasing
    • Wheel alignment and balancing (this was after the alloys were fit.)
    • Re-torquing where necessary
Cosmetics - (Total Expense Rs. 29,400)
  • Windshield replaced - Rs.6500/-
  • Alloys fitted (finally!! ) - 15500/-
  • All seat covers changed - 3500/-
  • Steering cover changed to Stanley leather one - 550/-
  • Rear parcel tray (plastic one) replaced with MDF - 1350/-
  • New Horn (same Skoda-esque dual tones as the old one) - 750/-
  • Rubbing and Polishing - 1250/-
ICE Upgrade - (Total Expense Rs. 23,200/-)
  • Please find the details in a separate thread. Link as below -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-off-show-off/95109-jbl-x333-fifth-birthday-gift-my-swift.html#post2208094

Here are some of the photographs -

New Suspension Equipment - Lower arms, coil springs, telescopic shocks

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8372.jpg

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8373.jpg

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8374.jpg

Alloys -
Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8370.jpg
Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8371.jpg
Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8375.jpg
Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8376.jpg
Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8389.jpg

New Parcel Tray -

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8377.jpg

Engine Scan Report -

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8392.jpg

Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333-dscn8393.jpg

Cheers,
R_S

PS: Mods, could you please edit the title to say "Work Completed"..? Thx.

Last edited by roadie_swift : 13th January 2011 at 12:21. Reason: Ok, I did it. :-)
Old 13th January 2011, 12:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

At the end of the day the final output does justify the 1L spent. The car looks great and i am guessing the replacent (mechanical ones) were done due to neccessity and not for mere change after 5 years

The wheels look great and I would like to see the ICE changes as well as the replacements done to cosmetics. I may do some changes to my swift for its 40K service next month
Old 13th January 2011, 12:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
@Abhijeet - Lets catch up over the weekend if time permits.
@ Kaustya - Sure, let's get together on the weekend. I'm just spoiling to gloat over my new ICE and wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I would like to see the ICE changes as well
@ VW2010 - Hey, thanks again, buddy. Please check this link for details on the ICE upgrade -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post2208094

And yeah, you are right. The mechanical-side changes had been necessitated by the long years of service the car was pressed into. Feels good to have them done, though. Good luck for your 40k service, happy driving!

Cheers,
R_S
Old 13th January 2011, 12:46   #27
BHPian

Congratulations!
The car looks incredible!
I love those alloys, perfectly suited to your ride.
With respect to your ICE, the weakest link in the chain is the bass tube, chuck it and get a good 12'' ported/sealed for a controlled bass response, all this if you like pure Sound Quality and are not into SPL.
Old 13th January 2011, 12:50   #28
BHPian

It seems that pictures are missing. Can you please repost them. Thanks
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:31   #29
BHPian

Re: 1000 km Update

1000 km Update:

Well, I have driven about 1200 km now, (including one expressway drive and two on the NH4) after having finished all the refurbishment work on my Swift, and the report is as below.

One liner -
It is better; Much Better; But nowhere close to what I thought it would be.

Of course, this is not to say I am not satisfied. It feels really great to drive a 5-yr old car which doesn't behave like a 5-yr old car. But I had thought I would get a Swift which was as good as new, which it sadly isn't.

Cooling -
Cooling issue has disappeared totally. Hallelujah!

Clutch and Mechanicals -
The clutch feels obviously a lot grippier now, and pickup has improved a great deal. Interesting thing to know here is, it actually got better as I drove. For the first fifty kilometers or so, it was real bad. The car seemed as sluggish as it was earlier.

Then I got a chance to open her up on the NH4.

I decided to redline her, and by the time I was into third gear, there was a noticeable burning smell in the car. It scared me, so I stopped the car and called up the garage. The guy immediately said - "Sir aapne pehli baar raise kiya kya?" So I told him yes, and he said it is the shiny first layer on the brand new clutch plate wearing off and heating up due to the friction, and that it will go away. It did, and pick up got a lot better after that. So, I guess some rough treatment was needed.. ;-)

But even now, sometimes it feels strained when I am trying to overtake. Although, wheelspins are much easier now, and there has been a significant improvement in the top-end response - e.g. while trying to accelerate from 100 to 140 or so. My RPM counts at speeds of 100/120/140 have come down a couple of notches too, enough to be noticeable.

But the mid-range seems to have totally lost its punch. I have to downshift even to accelerate from 50 kph in the fourth gear, if I am trying a rapid maneuver. So much so, it is perforce turning me into a sedate driver!

I think this now has to do more with the engine itself than any of the transmission components. May be the Gurus can shed some light on this.

Brakes, btw, are as good as ever, maybe better. Inspire a lot of confidence, touch wood!

FE has improved a slight bit (about 50-75 bps, as the bankers say!) to 12.75, over three fillings.

Suspension -
It is so very wonderful to drive a car that does not go clang-bang over small wrinkles on the road! Earlier, the suspension-bottoming-out noise used to be so embarrassing, esp. when I had someone with me in the car. Now there is only the muted and assured thud-thud sound. My garage guys said it would also make a difference while cornering, but I did not feel anything different. Perhaps I do not drive fast enough, but then, I am scared of corners.

Body -
This is the saddest part.

Just like the unwanted cats in the house, who you try to lose in a public park, and they are back home to welcome you even before you return, so have the Swift-Rattles™ returned to haunt me.

I had the pleasure of driving a rattle-free car for not more than three days.

On the fourth day, confident of my suspension and the works, I bravely tackled a pothole and realized that the glovebox and/or dashboard had acquired voice of its own. Apart from the new parcel-tray and Dynamat-damped front doors, it has been more or less the same story all over. I guess I simply have to resign to the Swift-Rattle™ phenomenon, and just play my ICE louder.

Cosmetics and ICE -
Parents, In-Laws, Wife, Daughter - All happy at once. Need I say more?

The Infinity Compos in the front are a revelation, I sincerely thank Anoop at Poona Motors for suggesting this to me. There has been one significant change in my lifestyle, because of the ICE -

Every night, religiously, as an exercise, I write in my Diary - "No. I am not going to spend any more money on ICE. No. My SW is good enough..." And so on. So far, it seems to be working.

Thanks a lot to all who provided their valuable suggestions, your comments are most welcome. I'll provide a further update when appropriate.

Cheers,
R_S

Last edited by roadie_swift : 3rd February 2011 at 20:35.
Old 27th April 2011, 18:09   #30
BHPian

Re: Fifth Birthday Gift for My Swift. EDIT: Installed JBL X333

Hi Roadie,

Just came across this thread. Looks you had treated your baby very well. I need a help. I am looking for alignment report of a swift to compare it with mine. I had posted my problem here in this thread but no response so far.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post2310201 (Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here)

Can you upload or else PM your alignment report to me.
Regards,
Dinesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks