Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 21:19   #16
BHPian

re: Got Keyless entry & go? Your car could be easy to steal

Guys i had a word with central locking installers two months back , he told me sir these central locking is only helpful just for lock and unlock your car so that dorr locks does not get damage . He told me to get gear lock also because gear lock take great amount of time for getting it out by thieves . SO get gear lock for piece of mind , because it help a lot . Central locking are just for lock and unlock as what i have seen .
Old 17th January 2011, 23:51   #17
BHPian

There are cars which need not have the key inserted as well as I read in the Lancer Evo X test report on t-bhp. It only has a knob where the key is inserted. Whatever one may say, electronics and wireless communications always have methods of intercepting and modulations. As they say "It is not a matter of `If it will happen`; It's a matter of `When it will happen`."
Old 18th January 2011, 00:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

For cars that have a Start-Stop button (Micra / Cruze), the key need not be in the vicinity once the engine is running. This is confirmed in one of the Cruze threads where a BHPian who was also one of the firsts here to get the keyless option (cannot recollect who) drove away from a hotel while the key was still with the Valet.
Old 18th January 2011, 15:47   #19
BHPian

Key was left with his brother not valet , i think that person who owns is from banglore .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
For cars that have a Start-Stop button (Micra / Cruze), the key need not be in the vicinity once the engine is running. This is confirmed in one of the Cruze threads where a BHPian who was also one of the firsts here to get the keyless option (cannot recollect who) drove away from a hotel while the key was still with the Valet.
Old 18th January 2011, 15:53   #20
BHPian

I don't think the Micra can be driven off when the key is not there inside the car. The engine will start only when the sensor detects the key inside the car.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:10   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Things like this makes me really wary about more and more computerised technology incorporated in cars.
You speak my language! Though I'm not against keyless entry & engine start, I hate how modern cars are getting more & more electronically complicated. What's worse...some of them are pointless additions, expensive to repair and kill reliability.

With this kind of thief around, my Jeep with an ignition key, steering->clutch lock and a hidden master switch is probably safer
Old 18th January 2011, 18:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Has anybody tried the remote locking via a mobile phone. It actually works.
Are you sure ?? Please do visit the following links

Can You Unlock Your Car Door with a Cell Phone? - Urban Legends
Unlock Your Car With Your Cell Phone? - BreakTheChain.org
About.com: http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-cell-phone-remote.html

Last edited by gvivek75 : 18th January 2011 at 18:33. Reason: added more links
Old 18th January 2011, 18:32   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

With due respect to the researchers in the original post, these rumours have been going around for years. I heard that "autocop works through mobile" stuff 10 years ago but AFAIK it doesn't. Now someone's going to invest heavily in technology to steal my smart keyless car? Let's see.
Old 19th January 2011, 15:44   #24
BHPian

Regarding Keyless, cars are of both types: ones that allow entry only and ones that allow entry and start

Most OEMs have some strategy to make the 'attack' mentioned in the first post difficult to conduct. But, there is no solution for this currently. This is a security risk. But the technical know-how and tools required to conduct such an attack makes it less problematic for a car owner.

For the mobile-phone keyfob lock/unlock, i hope the person conducting the experiment was atleast 60+ ft away as some cars have a really long range!!
Old 19th January 2011, 18:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

^^ It did not unlock when the remote was pressed when away from the phone, but worked when the remote was brought near the phone. The same procedure did not work with the Figo's OEM fitment.

Some one with an aftermarket remote locking system, please try this and post back if it works.
Old 20th January 2011, 00:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
It worked with all vehicles that had after market central locking systems fitted on them. It did not work with the Figo's factory installed system.

I called the person who had the remote, he held the remote near the phone and pressed the unlock button. On my side, i held my mobile phone near the front of the car and the vehicle unlocked !

I have tried this on 3 vehicles so far. All the alarm systems were autocop's.

Quote:
^^ It did not unlock when the remote was pressed when away from the phone, but worked when the remote was brought near the phone. The same procedure did not work with the Figo's OEM fitment.

Some one with an aftermarket remote locking system, please try this and post back if it works.
If this really worked, revenge would be a simple affair. Just call your enemy and keep the cellphone in the microwave. Tada! You just fried his head.

Sorry if it sounds ridiculous but its based on the same principle of auto cop unlocking cars through cellphone.
Old 20th January 2011, 16:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With this kind of thief around, my Jeep with an ignition key, steering->clutch lock and a hidden master switch is probably safer
Is it possible to fix a master switch on the modern vehicles?
Old 20th January 2011, 17:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
I used to have a master switch in my old Padmini Fiat. Sadly, I could not get one installed in my Maruti 1000.
Old 21st January 2011, 15:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaf Petiwala View Post
I used to have a master switch in my old Padmini Fiat. Sadly, I could not get one installed in my Maruti 1000.
Technically its possible. But then your vehicle is only as secure as the location of your master switch or its wiring (both of which will be obviously well known for the popular models).

Security is usually about staying ahead of the theives. No technology can completely prevent a vehicle from being theft... it just makes it more difficult (until some clever guy finds an easy way to break it). Then the companies come up with a new system making it more difficult...
Old 4th February 2015, 16:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thieves stealing Cars with Keyless Entry and Engine Start/Stop systems

If you own a new car, there's a good chance that it features some form of keyless security. Whether it helps unlock your car or lets you start it with the push of a button, it makes driving all that bit easier. That's unless it's the reason your car gets stolen.

Vulnerabilities in vehicle securities systems have been well-known in industry for years. Now the know-how is easily accessible and tools to exploit the vulnerabilities are available. Thieves have access to cheap tools that can bypass security at

1. Keyless Entry
2. Engine Start

This enables a thief to drive away with car in less than a minute (especially if car has a start/stop button) . Quick search gives references of few duplicate key services in Mumbai as well. They are able to duplicate keys with immobilizers too.

Scale of this problem is so large that

1. More than 25% cars that are stolen in UK, are equipped with Keyless entry systems.
2. Some insurers refusing to cover the cars unless such cars are parked in a secure garage

Quote:

Quote:
The thief had walked up, pulled the door handle and jumped into her two-year-old Autobiography-spec car, which would cost £100,000 new today. He started the engine and, after almost ploughing forwards into Miller’s house, found reverse gear and drove away. The theft was over in less than 30 seconds.

Quote:
Motor manufacturers put the blame squarely on European competition regulations that force them to allow third parties such as mechanics and locksmiths to have access to the diagnostic port and the freedom to program new keys.
References:

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/no-car...urity-systems/
http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/03/l...ess-car-theft/
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ri-mumbai.html

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 4th February 2015 at 17:05.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks