Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia RS 1.8 TPi Gearbox gone kaput @ 60,000 Kms!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulvinder singh View Post
Suggest you check with the technical manual--if you dont have one, ask the service centre to let you have a quick look in theirs. You need to check what the last ECU sensor is. I suspect that it will only be a Crank Speed Sensor-- unless your car has Traction control etc. If its only the Crank Sensor, then its perfectly alright to fit the new gearbox-- wont effect the ECU mapping.

Also seems like a common problem on these gearboxes-- so you could take the opportunity to do what the guys in UK are doing , which is strenthening the Differential attachment. I.e, put Stainless steel bolts and a SS locking plate; It's quite easy to do-- but if you can't get someone to make the plates and bolts-- ask the UK guys if they would supply these to you.

Thanks I will try to get the Differential attachment strengthened, if I can find the right bolts from the mech who will be working on it.

As for the first part. Yes there is an ECU sensor, I am not sure what that one is for. The car does have ESP, ie traction control, ABS etc so I will take a look at the Manual.

Quote:
Changing the ratios w/o any other changes will make car drivable but may not be as agile as earlier. And if you are maintaining an RS, I guess it's for performance. Just my 2 cents, as I said, I can be wrong.

It's a different scenario if you want the car to be in drivable situation and sell to a buyer with intimation of GB change.
No I do not intend to sell it at all.

I believe fitting the EGT GearBox will take away some of the top end for sure, but it should be slightly quicker. Why would it not be as agile? Its just a trade off, trading slightly more top end speed for slightly better acceleration, I really dont mind that. According to my calculations the top speed would go down from about 230 to 205 or so, which is still fast enough.

But I am no auto mech or tuner and not even close to an expert. So I would wait for them to correct me and comment.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:34   #17
BHPian

UPDATE:
SKODA has agreed to do a replacement for me, and charge me for labour, which is ok with me. I also need to get an EGR valve changed as I busted that sometime back. They have said they can get the car to me by tomorrow, but I am out of station now till monday so I will update you the thread then. I have asked them to fix the EGT gearbox I got and to run the diagnostics after which before touching anything else to call me. Which he should do sometime tomorrow.

Anything else I should be looking at?
Still waiting for more comments. Please help a newbie out....
Thanks
Old 24th February 2011, 12:55   #18
BHPian

If the hole in your original gearbox is the major problem, then may be you can try getting it welded. Im sure its most probably made of Aluminium. You can get it TIG welded and that should hold strong for quite a while. And gears themselves breaking to bits is highly unlikely given the fact that youve done only 60k kms. Unless you drove the car really really hard with track day like downshifts, the possibility of the gears breaking is quite low. So do get it checked personally and by another competent mechanic. You probably busted a spider gear in the diff which could have led to the gaping hole. I would still try and use the original gearbox. Goodluck!

Cheers,
Prashanth

Last edited by prashanth_benz : 24th February 2011 at 12:59.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Has Skoda been able to provide a satisfactory explanation as to how the hole occured? I've not heard of any such thing happening on any other car.
Old 24th February 2011, 14:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Has Skoda been able to provide a satisfactory explanation as to how the hole occured? I've not heard of any such thing happening on any other car.

PLease go thru the link have posted in the earlier threads it gives an explination how this occured. It is a common issue with these GB in the UK...
One of the rivets in the final gear breaks and chews-into the gearbox casing. The rivets are weak in nature and hence it is recommended to get them changed to nuts.

I have already sold off the older gearbox as salvage, so cant go back to that one.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:29   #21

If you are in Delhi, I can provide you a contact who has a couple of Skoda's lying with him as scrap (Declared by Skoda). The components are available and there happens to be a gearbox for an RS.
It will probably cost you between 40-45K for the entire unit
Of course you will need a new Flywheel, clutch plate , pressure plate and bearing that will cost you another 20K
How much did Skoda quote for the entire gearbox ?
Old 24th February 2011, 16:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth_benz View Post
Unless you drove the car really really hard with track day like downshifts, the possibility of the gears breaking is quite low.
I'm just asking out of ignorance - how would track day like downshifts damage the gear box? I thought the gear box would do just fine as long as you use the clutch properly and use the correct gear oil.

In fact, I change my gears faster than normal. (The time between clutch press and clutch release is lesser than normal because I move the gear stick faster. But I slot the gears precisely and do not downshift like racers.)

Do you still suggest I slow down my gear stick movement to avoid gear box damage?

Last edited by jinojohnt : 24th February 2011 at 16:20.
Old 24th February 2011, 20:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getanilkhanna View Post
If you are in Delhi, I can provide you a contact who has a couple of Skoda's lying with him as scrap (Declared by Skoda). The components are available and there happens to be a gearbox for an RS.
It will probably cost you between 40-45K for the entire unit
Of course you will need a new Flywheel, clutch plate , pressure plate and bearing that will cost you another 20K
How much did Skoda quote for the entire gearbox ?

Though I already got me a gearbox now for a really good price from scrap, so thats fine. But still can you please PM me his number I need some other parts too, and his contact would be great. Thank you.
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:37   #24
BHPian

UPDATE:

Skoda has re-fitted the gearbox that I got them. And have charged me only for labour, Idid take it for a test drive and was cautious at first. It drives fine as long as the gearbox is concerned, though I was not able to test it fully as the same old overheating issue came up again, and my fans dont start spinning unless I put the car AC on!!! Some fuse issue as far as I know as the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago but now skoda is inspecting the fault and will inform me.

From the little test drive I did, yes there is a difference in the way the car behaves but I will test drive again properly and then post, as far as I can tell, yes the gears have become shorter, and there is a noticeable difference in power in the lower gears esp in 1 and 2, but could also be my old tyres slipping around. So will wait further for an update.
Old 15th March 2011, 12:32   #25
BHPian

Update:
Over the last weekend I had a chance to really test drive the car, did up and Down the Express Way. The car is pulling much better, I dont know how to explain. Let me try the rpm go up faster now and I have to shift sooner, I did not check my top end as I do need newer tyres, but till 180-190Kmph it is good, though my RPM's are higher at the speed compared to my older stock gearbox.
So, so far the gearbox change has been successful, touch wood, I have done about 1K kms already on it in a week and it feels fine. All those who helped.
And if there is anyone who needs help from me in anyway please do PM.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Old 15th March 2011, 12:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

The RPM is higher at the same speed compared to old gearbox?
Why would that happen? Clutch slipping?
But if the car accelerates faster than before, then it's all confussing now...

But congrats on getting the RS back on road and do post details once you have tis clarified - will be a good help to all of us Skoda owners...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 15th March 2011 at 12:44.
Old 15th March 2011, 13:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hi,

The RPM is higher at the same speed compared to old gearbox?
Why would that happen? Clutch slipping?
No I believe it is because I am not using the stock GearBox anymore but a shorter gear ration, all my gears have reduced, ie my first not tops out at about 60 compared to previously where it was topping out at about 75 odd at 6500-7000 RPM, if I am not mistaken, and the 2nd at abobut 105 compared to previous 125-130 odd. So yes when I am at about 180kmph in top gear ie 5th, my RPM is higher than before. But now I would like to check it against a stock vRS how it is, if there really is a difference. Slower/Faster Accleration, Topspeed etc, not for anything but for knowledge and more understanding of cars.

In the previous posts I have posted the exact gear rations.

Last edited by nanu28 : 15th March 2011 at 13:06.
Old 16th March 2011, 10:28   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, sorry - I missed that post where you have mentioned the details of the old and new GB.

BTW, hats off to you for finding an OEM VW GB on your own. Is it a brand new one or used? Could you share the the source and price etc if you don't mind?

And very good luck with the RS - it's a charm to own.

BTW, I would have a heavy heart to let go off the top end - with the kind of grip and handling the RS offers, beyond 180 is where all the fun is . I have some unforgettable memories of some of the expressway drives in my friend's 1.8 TPI (with RS spec tyres). I wished my Laura Tsi had this level of handling and grip or skoda would relauch Octy RS with the new TSi engine...

Cheers!
Old 17th March 2011, 14:41   #29
BHPian

Nanu, my stock RS does the following RPM/Speed in 5th gear:

2000 RPM = 80 KM/hour
4000 RPM = 160 KM/hour
This 'multiple of 4, If I may call it that, remains constant. I have never taken it beyond 160, so cant comment on what RPM should be at 180 kmph.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:18   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
Nanu, my stock RS does the following RPM/Speed in 5th gear:

2000 RPM = 80 KM/hour
4000 RPM = 160 KM/hour
This 'multiple of 4, If I may call it that, remains constant. I have never taken it beyond 160, so cant comment on what RPM should be at 180 kmph.
Just curious, what's the RPM @ 160 in 4'th?
And... you have never taken your RS beyond 160?
Wow...let me know if you ever want to sell it. Such a preserved materpiece is rare these days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks