Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which gear do you use to move from rest?
1st gear 143 97.95%
2nd gear 3 2.05%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2006, 16:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
I. All of a sudden I find that if I try to shift to the 1st gear at any speed above 5kmph the lever simply refuses to budge!! I do not know what has happened. Maybe some trick they incorporated to prolong the clutch life?! I don't know.

i think thats beacuse first and reverse are constant mesh and the others are synchromesh ...it is to avoid accidental shifting into 1st or reverse ....this was what i was told by maruti
Old 12th January 2006, 17:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
i think thats beacuse first and reverse are constant mesh and the others are synchromesh ...it is to avoid accidental shifting into 1st or reverse ....this was what i was told by maruti
But my wagonR reverse gear still sucks you know...refuses to be engaged at times.. i am going to get it replaced
Old 12th January 2006, 17:52   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
But my wagonR reverse gear still sucks you know...refuses to be engaged at times.. i am going to get it replaced
Hey hey hey... About the reverse gear there is a thing. Unlike other gears when you want to engage reverse the suggested way is to come to a standstill. Then once you declutch hold it for 5 seconds... and then take the reverse. You will find it engages so much more easily buddy
Old 12th January 2006, 17:59   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmm... Satya bhai Indica has that documented for the reverse gear (no direct 5th->rev). However earlier on 1st I used to be able to move directly to. Typically whenever I reach a standstill for a brief while I directly shift over to the 1st (from 4th or 3rd) and then brake. This way it aids in quicker take off once the traffic moves. However all of a sudden after my car came back from its 1st service it has stopped happening. Hence the query...

Last edited by Zappo : 12th January 2006 at 18:00.
Old 13th January 2006, 04:03   #20
BHPian

I ususally use the first gear, that way I can accelerate faster as well..... using 2nd gear means have to let go off the clutch a bit slower...However, in slow traffic my dad just uses the second gear..... he just feels lazy to change gears..lol :d
Old 13th January 2006, 05:01   #21
BHPian

yh pickikn up from 1st gear enables faster acceleration and doesnt exert unwanted pressure to ur engine....and reduces capacity as well...burns out more fuel and leaves wear and tear
Old 13th January 2006, 07:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Satya buddy, I'm under serious impression that all modern cars now with all synchromesh forward gears..

When did you check this with Maruti?
Old 13th January 2006, 10:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Satya buddy, I'm under serious impression that all modern cars now with all synchromesh forward gears..

When did you check this with Maruti?
when i was facing problems with my first and reverse gear ...i was told that all maruti cars from m800 to the baleno had this...there was no Swift at that time...
Old 13th January 2006, 10:39   #24
Team-BHP Support

Baleno sure comes with all forward synchromesh...Swift is only modern in terms of looks and time. Please check your Zen manual. Don't listen to your dealers/ service people blindly.
Old 13th January 2006, 11:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Baleno sure comes with all forward synchromesh...Swift is only modern in terms of looks and time. Please check your Zen manual. Don't listen to your dealers/ service people blindly.

ohhh ..will it be mentioned in the manual ???????wait ..letme write to maruti ...

but i thonk 3 dealers had told the same answer ...still will check
Old 13th January 2006, 17:51   #26
BHPian

I always start from first. Except in our Mahindra Maxx, in which I start from 2nd without half clutching. There is hardly any difference in the first and second gears of the Maxx and Commander.
Old 13th January 2006, 18:11   #27
BHPian

hey in he city i normall start in the first gear only cause frankly i absolutly love this gear but if im in any of the landrovers then always use second....also when off roading and ur in low its more appropriate too start with either the second or even the third gear...
Old 13th January 2006, 18:19   #28
BHPian

Always in 1st gear from stand-still (start). But sometimes I do it from 2nd (rarely) when I am too lazy to shift from 2nd in a traffic jam and crawling and have to stop for a bit and then move off again.
Old 28th January 2006, 01:02   #29
BHPian

1st gear mostly but sometimes, when in traffic I start with 2nd gear because it gets quite tiresome to change to 1st and then 2nd even though there's about 5secs gap from changing from 1st to 2nd.

(Oh! BTW, I do this mostly in Stop - Go traffic conditions)
Old 28th January 2006, 03:17   #30

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i always use the first gear to start.....and i guess i was good at not riding the clutch cos the clutch lasted till 57000kms.the workshop engineers were suprised wen they got to know this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks