Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 23:41   #1
BANNED

Belt squeaking noise even after replacement

My lancer diesel had noise on cold start, from alternator belt, and i have changed all the belts at a time, including timing belt. But still i get noise on cold start, that too, it increases day by day.

first it gave noise for 2 minutes, then , now it got almost doubled, when in higher RPM. i have got tightened the alternator, by adjusting the tightening bolt.

What might be the problem? I fear if i tight much then the belt will break,
Old 27th March 2011, 00:32   #2
jav
BHPian

Re: belt squeaking noise even after replacement

Do not over tighten the belts as it puts a huge load on the bearing, the same problem i also had in one of my cars. The cause was that the pulley has worn out (bent) or polished by the old belt making the contact surface slippery. try getting the pulley properly cleaned but if still noise persists i would recommend replacement of the pulley since even a small bend or twist can cause belt sound
Old 27th March 2011, 12:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
My lancer diesel had noise on cold start, from alternator belt, and i have changed all the belts at a time, including timing belt. But still i get noise on cold start, that too, it increases day by day.

first it gave noise for 2 minutes, then , now it got almost doubled, when in higher RPM. i have got tightened the alternator, by adjusting the tightening bolt.

What might be the problem? I fear if i tight much then the belt will break,
rajiv,

Please have the belts tightened only to the recommended "play"(a simple rule would be to see if you can press the belt down by say 1/2 AN INCH with your index finger.

Start the engine and pour a wee bit of water on the belt-pulley and see if the noise disappears for good
Old 27th March 2011, 12:43   #4
BANNED

@ jav
I suspect the pulley might have been polished by the previous slippery old belt, but will show to mechanic and get his opinion tomorrow, i too suspected the same.

@vigsom
yes the play is 1/2 inch, i have tested, and its more than enough tightening for the belt, once i pour water on it, the noise disappears. will check pulley for grip tomorrow
Old 27th March 2011, 12:49   #5
BHPian

Pouring water will only confirm it being a belt issue but won't get resolved for good just a temproary releif and confirmation! If belt stop s squeaking then you can conclude the new belt which have put isn't really new!! But if you yet get the squeak s you will have to get the belt removed and turn the pulley s slowly to feel any harshness . Even visually you can see if the alternator pulley is running out while idling!
Old 27th March 2011, 17:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Pouring water will only confirm it being a belt issue but won't get resolved for good just a temproary releif If belt stop s squeaking then you can conclude the new belt which have put isn't really new!! But if you yet get the squeak s you will have to get the belt removed and turn the pulley s slowly to feel any harshness . Even visually you can see if the alternator pulley is running out while idling!
absolutely , water generally only solves the problem temporarily (unlike in my Premier,where a brand new belt was put and a wee bit of water solved the issue permanetly !!!!)
Old 27th March 2011, 21:26   #7
BHPian

My mechanic pours few drops of brake oil or even I have seen him applying very little amount of grease on the contact side of belt and squeaking noise was gone in front of me! You can try this, it should work in your case too.
Old 28th March 2011, 09:44   #8
BANNED

yes, my mechanic did the same , applied grease on belt (old belt) the noise stopped, but it was temporary. also grease and oil are tend to break rubber chemical bonds and belt will lose life. even water spray will solve temporary. will check with pulley play.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:01   #9
BHPian

One could alternatively spray this: It has worked wonders for my car does not wash witha water wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Belt squeaking noise even after replacement-imgp4236-medium.jpg  

Old 28th March 2011, 12:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
One could alternatively spray this: It has worked wonders for my car does not wash witha water wash.
This is the first time I have heard of belt dressing.Should be good if it is American
Old 28th March 2011, 17:53   #11
BHPian

Long ago when I had this problem with my M800, I had rubbed a soap bar on the belt - just gently pressed it to the belt with the engine running. Solved the problem. Give it a shot.
Old 31st March 2011, 14:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Belt squeaking noise even after replacement

Also apply WD40 to the idler pulley(not on the contact surface) and see if it makes any difference.
Old 1st April 2011, 07:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

If the vehicle is very old then it is always advisableto change the plastic pulley while changing the belts. Plastic pulleys tend to wear out much faster than metal ones. So if there is a polished / undulating surface on the pulley, change it!
Old 1st April 2011, 11:06   #14
BANNED

UPDATE: Two days back, the car gave lots of problems like, starting problem, even after 3-4 crank, it will not start, i thought it might be battery low charge problem, because alternator was slipping, it did not do its job. But my thought was proved wrong yesterday morning. On 31-03-11, morning, the car did not crank, actually it cranked for few times, then it was dead. Called electrician, he first came with just spanner, to see what is problem, The battery was fully charged, but there is no cranking on ignition, Me and the person thought it might be problem of bust solenoid in starter, so gave direct short circuit in starter, still no cranking or any sign of movement. So we found its broken / worn carbon brush. So we removed it and took starter to shop and opened, we found one of carbon brush soldering broken and stuck. We replaced it with CANTER's carbon brush (exact fit) , and starter was working fine. fitted it and came to the find what causes squeaking noise in belt. So we thought to look that problem today morning (1-5-11). I started car, it started, but with slight 2-3 crank, The noise of belt of alternator is there even with 1000 RPM, i dove it to electrician shop with low RPM which is 0.5 km from my place. As soon as i reached there, i opened bonnet and touched all parts engine, radiator etc, all are cool and normal, but to my nightmare, the alternator and pulley was too hot, within 0.5 km run, so without any hesitation i came to conclusion that alternator bearing was stuck. So i told them to remove it and service. I am waiting..To get reply from him.
Old 1st April 2011, 21:07   #15
BANNED

Got the Starter removed today, the the pulley was worn, but i did not get new pulley from anywhere in shops or used ones, after 4 hrs search i could not find any pulley as i had.

So at last thing, i thought of few options:

1) To make new one, but it costs almost new pulley, but will take time, Have to mould cast iron and then machine with same precise degree as the old ones.

2) To casting weld the worn place and then machine to correct measurement., But this was ruled out, since people suggested that the metal may bend, since this pulley is not much thick.

3) To skim in lathe, the place where the belt touched and polished, but i feared that it might be dangerous , since we could not judge exact degree angle.

4) Atlast one experienced (40 years in automobile lathe works) old man gave an idea to skim in centre, not in belt groove. just 0.1mm each half pulley.

Charged Rs.100 for both half and it was perfect, after fitting, there is no belt squeaking noise even at higher RPM. So this was sorted out.

removing starter and servicing and refitting labour Rs.200
Carbon brush for starter of CANTER Rs.210
service cost of alternator Rs.100
removal of alternator was done by nearby workshop, since electrician has no lift to remove alternator from bottom. Rs.250

But another problem i could not get it repaired. There is starting problem, it gets 2-3 cranks, and while running idle, suddenly for few seconds the engine behaves like running out of diesel and slows down and getting like engine off, and after sometime it gets ok

1) I have changed diesel filter before 2000 kms, so no chance of clogged diesel filter
2) Checked battery , its good, and alternator also giving exace current to battery even while Headlights on, tested with AMP meter.
3) Starter have been serviced only 2 days back. carbon brushes changed and serviced.
4) Mechanic said it might be loose or some problem in wiring which leads to diesel pump.

Last edited by rajivanoj : 1st April 2011 at 21:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks